TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I won't go as far as to accuse whoever did that interview of just wanting attention (she legitly might not know), but the newer coasters, like Texas Giant, don't click. You just push down. It'll be days likely before we know what happened. All we have now is people who think they know everything that happened and media that wants to be the first to report it.

I'm also hearing a rumor that Six Flags is requiring ALL Gerstlaur coasters in their parks to be closed pending investigation. This includes all their spinning coasters. Can anyone confirm if those coasters are currently open?

I haven't heard anything, but I would be SHOCKED if they didn't close all Gerstlaur rides down to investigate. Heck I'd be shocked if ALL theme parks didn't shut all Gerstlaur rides down for the time being. I believe when the Perilous Plunge accident happened at Knott's most parks were investigating their Intamin attractions.

I also wonder if this causes a delay in ride announcements for 2014 (given a Six Flags park or two went with a Euro Fighter).

I'm also hearing a rumor that Six Flags is requiring ALL Gerstlaur coasters in their parks to be closed pending investigation. This includes all their spinning coasters. Can anyone confirm if those coasters are currently open?

Pandemonium at SFOT is CLOSED.

While this is no doubt a tragedy, I feel it sort of pointless to speculate until an investigation (at least a preliminary one) has occurred and provided some facts for the discussion. At this point, we really know nothing other than the fact that someone has died. Everything else is rumor, and any number of things could have happened! Thoughts are with all those affected.

Edited by TopThrill182

How long would it normally be until a preliminary report would be released for this kind of incident? Since it seems right now there are already different versions of the story popping up and fingers pointed all over the place at who could have been at fault for this, I was just wondering how long it would take until there's a clearer picture.

Taking the media with a grain if salt, but if she was overweight or large and did not feel her restraint was tight enough, that could have been a factor in the cause. Just speculating here...

I understand many enthusiasts are not the skinniest people. But I'm really surprised that coasters are rides that do not have rider size/weight limits for safety. Especially with the design of seats on trains not being forgiving. At the waterpark where I lifeguard/ride op thts the first thing I look for when a rider is about to load. I know it's different, but if that's one the the factors that caused this, it will be interesting to see what happens as far as safety restrictions are concerned.

Condolences to the family as this hits right here at home. I attend SFoT regularly and NTAG is one of my favorite rides there.

To be honest I hope it ends with just Pandemonium at SFOT and Irat. Okay I will admit that SF want to make sure their guest are safe. But it kinda feels to me that they then point their fingers to Gerstlauer, as it might be their maintenance. (We have no idea, and I don't think they're having a idea by now) Just my opinion on this case.

Watching my local news.. 400 feet?

Facepalm... Oh media.

I know it's unimportant in this situation, but that really pisses me off since it just shows the sheer incompetence of the media. How hard is it to google "Texas Giant" and read the height statistic that actually clearly comes up on the right hand side of the search results?

Thoughts go out to everyone involved. Coasters are what brings this community together and to lose someone on one hits really close to home.

I remember watching a video about TTD and Monty saying that it is one of the safest rides around. The lap bar has two locks and the seat belt has two locks so, you would have to have 4 failures to have an incident. I know that this wasn't the same restraint but not having a seatbelt on a ride doesn't make it any less safe. Like others have said, rides are built with safety in mind. The are made to be fool proof. It will be interesting to see what the investigation brings up. I have never ridden one of these rides but it seems like a restraint failure is almost a non issue.

Again, thoughts go out to everyone involved, terrible news.

I wouldn't be shocked if this were an issue of the guest being too large to fit within the restraint(s)... Sounds eerily similar to the Perilous Plunge incident years back. Every time I visit a theme park these days, it seems I witness at least a half dozen instances in which the employee(s) work to push down the restraint just far enough to accommodate a larger guest. Sooner or later, there's bound to be a time when the restraint doesn't get pushed down sufficiently.

I wouldn't be shocked if this were an issue of the guest being too large to fit within the restraint(s)... Sounds eerily similar to the Perilous Plunge incident years back. Every time I visit a theme park these days, it seems I witness at least a half dozen instances in which the employee(s) work to push down the restraint just far enough to accommodate a larger guest. Sooner or later, there's bound to be a time when the restraint doesn't get pushed down sufficiently.

I see this A LOT on the Chance Revolution at CGA...it's not very large person friendly and ride ops attempt to push that restraint down hard enough that the green light comes on (signifying that they are actually locked). More often though, I see riders get denied as they restraint won't lock/green light doesn't come on.

Earlier this year I was at the park and was boarding Batman. My Fiance and I were in the front row and another couple sat in the two seats next to us. The man was larger... and literally, two employees were trying to push his shoulder restraints down to a safe level for him to ride. When they failed, they asked him to step to the side so they may seat him in another row (I guess the middle seats have more room - if that's what I heard correctly.)

The man was all PO'd because of it. I remember thinking to myself "dude - it's for your safety!". SMH...

I'll preface this with by saying I'm no engineer but I don't understand what role her sizes plays into all of this - if the restraint is able to lock shouldn't it be designed to remained locked whether is it at one "click" or three? (I know there is no "clicks" on this system just saying in general). I would like to believe that if a person can fit inside the restraint and it locks then it is the restraints responsibility to hold them in. Again, I'm no engineer - just thinking out loud.

Never have understood why most parks are OK with this practice.

Perilous was in my head as well when I heard this. Do we know if the woman was overweight or not, or has that info not been released?

When it comes to Gerstlauer rides being possibly closed across the chain, do you know if this would include The Boss at my home park, SfSTL? Obviously we won't know for sure until tomorrow, but because it uses a ratcheting system I assumed it wouldn't be included in a possible shutdown.