TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

The problem with the internet is that it gives everyone a platform to spew stupidity without having the facts. Then people will continue to spew stupidity when they have half the facts. And even when all the facts are revealed they make dumber comments by taking everything out of context.

I trust in RMC for making their coaster safe. As of Gerstlauer, no seat belts are pretty scary, started to worried about that since Smiler.

Meh, if I recall seatbelts are usually added primarily as a means of detecting if the lapbar is down far enough. Them being a backup restraint is just an added benefit. The Gerslauer trains on NTAG used electronic sensors and an indicator light to let operators know if the lapbar was safely down enough.

^^^^

The lights turn on to indicate that the lapbars are locked, but they do not indicate if they are properly down all the way. I am not speculating that this was the case here, but just clarifying the light sensors.

Like on some S&S towers where the bulb lights up above the rider's seat when the restraint is locked?

Yah, yikes.

Update at 9:10 p.m.: Our Tanya Eiserer spoke with Carmen Brown of Arlington, who says she was next in line to ride the Texas Giant behind the woman who fell to her death this evening. She told Tanya she witnessed the woman being strapped into the ride. She was sitting next to her son.

The woman, said Brown, “basically tumbled over and you just see her son [go], ‘Ahhh.’ They didn’t secure her right. One of the employes from the park — one of the ladies — she asked her to click her more than once, and they were like, ‘As long you heard it click, You’re OK.’ Everybody else is like, ‘Click, click, click.’ Hers only clicked once. Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn’t feel safe, but they let her still get on the ride. …

“That could have been me.”

Brown said the woman’s young son was in a seat in front of his mother.

“We heard her screaming,” Brown said. “We were like, ‘Did she just fall?’”

Yah, yikes.

Update at 9:10 p.m.: Our Tanya Eiserer spoke with Carmen Brown of Arlington, who says she was next in line to ride the Texas Giant behind the woman who fell to her death this evening. She told Tanya she witnessed the woman being strapped into the ride. She was sitting next to her son.

The woman, said Brown, “basically tumbled over and you just see her son [go], ‘Ahhh.’ They didn’t secure her right. One of the employes from the park — one of the ladies — she asked her to click her more than once, and they were like, ‘As long you heard it click, You’re OK.’ Everybody else is like, ‘Click, click, click.’ Hers only clicked once. Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn’t feel safe, but they let her still get on the ride. …

This report can't be right. Those trains don't "click" because they use a hydraulic locking system. No employee would ever say "As long as you heard it click" because you'd NEVER hear it click. Now they are just making stuff up.

Holy crap that's terrible. I sometimes try to get a little extra room so I can get a little better airtime, but if she told the employee she didn't feel safe and they didn't make her seatbelt tighter, that is absolutely awful.

EDIT: Sounds like that's not true, but if it is, that's awful.

Everybody else is like, ‘Click, click, click.’ Hers only clicked once. Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn’t feel safe, but they let her still get on the ride. …

Uh, don't get me wrong guys but...if you don't feel safe and only clicked once, wouldn't common sense tell you to push it down more so you are secure? Does NTAG's restraints allow for further pushing down once locked? Every ride I've been on allows for further tightening..which typically happens a lot during mid ride via forces. I've also 'stapled' myself when going up the lift when I felt it was necessary... NTAG is not a coaster I'd mess around with a single click on.

Edited by Angry_Gumball

I'm deeply saddened by this horrific tragedy. SFOT is my home park and I have had season passes going back to the mid 70's. I still have vivid memories of the last tragic accident at the park during the mid 80's when a woman died on the Roaring Rapids ride. My prayers are with the family of the woman who died tonight.

As for NTAG, I assume it will be closed for the remainder of the season. Rightfully so. If this turns out to be a design flaw with the restraint system then iRat should be closed as well, as should Outlaw Run. It will take time to design and implement new restraint systems for these rides.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those involved in this terrible tragedy.

Yah, yikes.

This report can't be right. Those trains don't "click" because they use a hydraulic locking system. No employee would ever say "As long as you heard it click" because you'd NEVER hear it click. Now they are just making stuff up.

Exactly. Here begins the part of the aftermath where the media lies for the sake of ratings. Disgusting.

My deepest condolences to all those involved.

The problem with the internet is that it gives everyone a platform to spew stupidity without having the facts. Then people will continue to spew stupidity when they have half the facts. And even when all the facts are revealed they make dumber comments by taking everything out of context.

That's why I don't use or read Twitter. Heck, I hardly use my Facebook these days. I think it seriously kills some of my brain cells. I mean, half of these people are probably the same exact people who were complaining not too long ago that their favorite park wasn't adding a 500ft coaster with 25 inversions.

The facts aren't going to matter. People have already made up their minds and won't be proven wrong; no matter what the facts say. I mean these days, investigations and facts by industry experts are no match for angry parent groups and numbskulls behind a computer going #OMG or #TexasGiant or whatever.

Edited by MavRider518

Everybody else is like, ‘Click, click, click.’ Hers only clicked once. Hers was the only one that went down once, and she didn’t feel safe, but they let her still get on the ride. …

Uh, don't get me wrong guys but...if you don't feel safe and only clicked once, wouldn't common sense tell you to push it down more so you are secure? Does NTAG's restraints allow for further pushing down once locked? Every ride I've been on allows for further tightening..which typically happens a lot during mid ride via forces. I've also 'stapled' myself when going up the lift when I felt it was necessary... NTAG is not a coaster I'd mess around with a single click on.

I was always able to push my restraints down more even after they were "locked". Heck, even going up the lift hill I would push it down just a bit more since gravity helps at that point (and I like being squished into my seat).

The clicking part didn't make sense since the restraints are so smooth and quiet... but usually the employees there help me push the restraint down if I request it. Story doesn't really add up.

I'm deeply saddened by this horrific tragedy. SFOT is my home park and I have had season passes going back to the mid 70's. I still have vivid memories of the last tragic accident at the park during the mid 80's when a woman died on the Roaring Rapids ride. My prayers are with the family of the woman who died tonight.

As for NTAG, I assume it will be closed for the remainder of the season. Rightfully so. If this turns out to be a design flaw with the restraint system then iRat should be closed as well, as should Outlaw Run. It will take time to design and implement new restraint systems for these rides.

My thoughts and prayers are with all those involved in this terrible tragedy.

Outlaw Runs trains are different and made by RMC as opposed to Gerstlauer who makes Iron Rattlers and NTG trains. I agree Iron Rattler and NTG should be closed until they determine the cause (prob a majority of the season).

Reports on twitter say that her restraints came undone... I thought that was nearly "impossible" if the train leaves the station? Or did I hear that incorrectly? If her restraints did come undone, wouldn't the seat next to hers come undone too?

Forgive me. Not as "techy" when it comes to coasters like you fine knowledgeable people.

Reports on twitter say that her restraints came undone... I thought that was nearly "impossible" if the train leaves the station? Or did I hear that incorrectly? If her restraints did come undone, wouldn't the seat next to hers come undone too?

Forgive me. Not as "techy" when it comes to coasters like you fine knowledgeable people.

I think that's just speculation. If anyone ever falls out of a coaster for any reason, that's always the first response from the media and GP.

I'm also hearing a rumor that Six Flags is requiring ALL Gerstlaur coasters in their parks to be closed pending investigation. This includes all their spinning coasters. Can anyone confirm if those coasters are currently open?

2nd time in Six Flags chain that the restraints weren't fully in? S:RoS (Bizarro) at SFNE and now this, correct? I say all rides (not just roller coasters) should have computer checked restraints. How hard could it be? Retrofit lap bars with ones that have sensors and add a computer. There is just too much risk on these larger rides where speeds exceed 60 mph, to have restraints checked by humans. Every time, at every park I've been to, I've experienced at least one ride operator who never really checks the restraint. Unacceptable.

I am not pinning all the blame on ride ops. Just stating all rides need computer checked restraints in general to prevent these accidents.

NTG's lapbars DO have sensors to make sure they're down enough. I don't know that they prevent a train from dispatching.

Again, can we please stop with this nonsensical speculating and armchair investigating? There's a reason they allow 16-year-old ride operators, and it's because these rides are built with redundant, virtually idiot-proof safety systems. I'm interested in waiting in the official investigation and seeing what obviously went horribly wrong.

I'm also hearing a rumor that Six Flags is requiring ALL Gerstlaur coasters in their parks to be closed pending investigation. This includes all their spinning coasters. Can anyone confirm if those coasters are currently open?

I think a post a few pages back said their friend who works at Fiesta Texas said iRat was closed. Not sure if that helps answer your question or not.

Regardless of fault, I'd expect seat belts to be added as a knee jerk reaction. It will be revealing to see what the fault is determined to be. In so many of these cases the fault is singled down to either rider error or operator negligence. Either way, it's always especially sad when someone loses their life having fun on something that is (for all intensive purposes) exceptionally safe.