TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Horrific news. Hope this doesn't prevent RMC from making new coasters. Probably not but still. Prayer go to the people affected and witnessed it.

I dont see this hurting RMC as they didnt make the train for the ride. IF the restraint indeed popped up I see Geruslauer being the ones looked at. At minimum I could see seatbelts and seatbelts attached to the restraints (like on FOF), or I could see RMC putting their trains on this and Iron Rattler. Of course this is if the restraint indeed popped open like stated from the rider that was on.

I know RMC didn't design the trains, but they still put the trains on their coaster so they definitely assume some liability for the accident. It might not directly be their fault, but when this lady's family decides to sue (and you know they will, rightfully so), Six Flags and RMI will definitely be the main parties charged. RMC is the primary manufacturer and SFI is the operator of the ride. I'm not a lawyer, but after that I would assume Gerstlauer would be thrown in as well.

In the end, RMC might not be the party responsible, but I guarantee they will be brought to court. They'll have to prove they weren't the main party responsible but I would assume they would hold some liability since it is their coaster regardless if they made the trains or not.

Why are saying stupid stuff? The park maintains the trains per Gerstlaure specs. RMC built the track. They do not operate the ride, inspect the trains, nor perform maintenance on the ride. Please don't start something.

I know RMC didn't design the trains, but they still put the trains on their coaster so they definitely assume some liability for the accident. It might not directly be their fault, but when this lady's family decides to sue (and you know they will, rightfully so), Six Flags and RMI will definitely be the main parties charged. RMC is the primary manufacturer and SFI is the operator of the ride. I'm not a lawyer, but after that I would assume Gerstlauer would be thrown in as well.

In the end, RMC might not be the party responsible, but I guarantee they will be brought to court. They'll have to prove they weren't the main party responsible but I would assume they would hold some liability since it is their coaster regardless if they made the trains or not.

You have absolutely no clue if this was a ride operator error, the fault of the lady that died, or a manufacturer error. Why don't you save the Perry Mason posts for when the investigation results come out?!?!

I too wish to express my condolences to the family and park guests who were there, but most of all to the ride operators, who will be second guessing the dispatch of that train and if they forgot to check something for a long time even if it's not their fault and is rider error. We know next to nothing yet, so I'm not speculating.

Lets find out an actual cause before deciding who is liable.

Exactly. Way too many people like to jump the gun on the Internet when terrible events like this happen. Let the investigation unfold.

Why are saying stupid stuff? The park maintains the trains per Gerstlaure specs. RMC built the track. They do not operate the ride, inspect the trains, nor perform maintenance on the ride. Please don't start something.

I'm just trying to say that people saying RMC are safe just because they didn't make the trains are wrong. Let me be clear that I'm not pointing fingers at anyone, but they are still the manufacturer of the ride and contracted out to get the trains made so there is still some accountability there.

EDIT: If it turns out it was something maintenance failed to catch, it's a whole different story. But I'm just saying its way too early to say RMC is safe even if they didn't make the trains.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

No seat belts.

Anyone know if Iron Rattler is still operating?

I have a friend that works in rides at Fiesta Texas and is working now, he said the ride is closed but can not go into any more details about anything going on with the ride at this time.

You also can bet all other rides with similar Gerstlauer trains (at least the ones with hydraulic restraints) will be shut down pending investigations.

So what other kinds are used for the restraints systems (not on Gerstlauer)?

The typical ratcheting systems used on other trains (like B&Ms for example).

I trust in RMC for making their coaster safe. As of Gerstlauer, no seat belts are pretty scary, started to worried about that since Smiler.

Regardless of how scary it seems, per ASTM standards seat belts aren't required as long as the restraint has a redundant locking system. I'm not familiar with the RMC trains, but I do know any coaster with negative g's requires this so I would assume these trains are no different.

I trust in RMC for making their coaster safe. As of Gerstlauer, no seat belts are pretty scary, started to worried about that since Smiler.

Meh, if I recall seatbelts are usually added primarily as a means of detecting if the lapbar is down far enough. Them being a backup restraint is just an added benefit. The Gerslauer trains on NTG used electronic sensors and an indicator light to let operators know if the lapbar was safely down enough.

Hydraulic lapbars have redundancy built-in through separate hydraulic lines.

But again, it's still way too early to be pointing the blame to any component or system. Let's let the experts do their investigation.

^^Oh, believe me. The GP have sworn off coasters now, if you go by twitter. Also, they keep posting pictures from back when the coaster was fully wood. I had to stop reading the tweets, it was so stupid.

On one hand, I don't trust the media and their tendency to totally skew what the truth really is, and how so many people actually believe it without looking for the facts for themselves. But on the other hand, we all know how short of an attention span we have. Just wait until we get the next bit of news on Edward Snowden and everyone except for her friends, family, and those who saw the event will have forgotten about it.

I won't start pointing any fingers until more details are released, but in any case this is extremely sad for the woman's family and friends, as well as the park and ride operators and any witnesses. I know I'd be traumatized if I witnessed an accident like that.

Unfortunately the GP are going nuts over this and I'm sure the media will too soon, definitely doesn't look good for Six Flags, RMC or Gerstlauer at this stage, regardless of who was actually at fault here.

Edited by australianalex

Meh, if I recall seatbelts are usually added primarily as a means of detecting if the lapbar is down far enough. Them being a backup restraint is just an added benefit. The Gerslauer trains on NTAG used electronic sensors and an indicator light to let operators know if the lapbar was safely down enough.

^^^^

The lights turn on to indicate that the lapbars are locked, but they do not indicate if they are properly down all the way. I am not speculating that this was the case here, but just clarifying the light sensors.