TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Yeah, I was out there on Tuesday as well. Too bad about all those rides being closed. But Gold Pass holders could get free refills on slurpees all day long with a special coupon they give you at the parking gate. Great way to beat the heat.

That's pretty awesome! Have other parks ever done that before?

From ScreamScape:

The latest word from SFOT sources is that whatever took Shockwave down, broke at least 2-3 weeks ago. Current park guests may notice that only one train remains on the rails. According to the rumor mill a train may have thrown a wheel or broke a wheel assembly. If true the broken section then scraped along the rails, possibly causing track damage along the way until it skidded to a stop. Either way, whatever is damaged and needs repair will require special custom parts to be manufactured, which will take a long time. Bottom line… unfortunately it looks like Shockwave is most likely closed for the rest of the season.

Sad news for the Shockwave.

Yeah, I was out there on Tuesday as well. Too bad about all those rides being closed. But Gold Pass holders could get free refills on slurpees all day long with a special coupon they give you at the parking gate. Great way to beat the heat.

That's pretty awesome! Have other parks ever done that before?

I have no idea about other parks. This is the first time it's been done at SFOT, to my knowledge.

^I don't think you read the Screamscape report very well. It says the reason it could take a while to reopen is because they will need to wait on special custom parts to be manufactured. They aren't just waiting around doing nothing.

The coaster is just broken right now, its not going to be taken down. They just spent money on painting the ride and it's a classic ride at the park. The coaster may not open this season but it will ride again.

I hope the park will keep Shockwave around for as long as possible. Its a superb ride,super smooth, and still holds the record for the most positive G's on a coaster. My fear is the park revomiving Shockwave in the near future because of the cost and it seems evey year Shockwave is down for some major issue. Thankfully SFOT values theres older coasters.

Shockwave will never go anywhere.

it's a huge WOW factor pop from the Freeway when you pass right in front of the park -- yes, more than anything else in the park (except possibly Mr. Freeze).

heck, just take a look:

I have confirmed with my sources that the ride is not going anywhere, no need to worry or speculate on that. The park spent 5 years and millions of dollars on track rehab, train refurbishment, and the obvious, fresh paint (All of this accounted for much of the downtime over the last several years at the beginning of the season) Once the ride is ready for operation it will re-open, no time frame has been set. Like my mom use to say when asked when dinner will be ready, 'it'll be ready when its ready'

Plenty of other great rides at the park, no need to let this one ride deter a visit(although I can see how it could be a legit reason, I often would get on first thing Sunday and not get off for an hour or more). Freeze is running great this year and don't forget about Runaway Mountain, not many parks have completely lights out coasters these days! Night rides on Sky Screamer are also a trip with no lights on the tower!

Yeah, a train chucked a wheel and caused some damage to the track. Nothing serious enough that we need to worry about the park taking the entire ride out. Gerstlauer will manufacturer the necessary parts for the ride and it will be back up and running as soon as possible.

Just to echo everyone else's thoughts, the park spends quite a bit of money every off-season refurbishing sections of track. They wouldn't invest that in a ride they planned on removing, especially over something like this incident. There's even a banner in the station (or was) saying something to the effect of the park respecting historic/classic rides.

That's a relief. Thanks for the reassurance, guys. A friend of mine who I plan on going to the park with next year is afraid of looping coasters, but wants to ride one, and I told him that Shockwave would be a good starter at the park. His first and only looping coaster was the other Shockwave. The one at KD, which I told him was not indicative of other looping coasters, as it's definitely not a great coaster. I always think a classic Schwarzkopf is a good starter looping coaster.

For those of you going to the park this week: Texas Giant is currently down to single train operations, it is unknown when it will return to two train ops. The red train has been experiencing sensor issues throughout the year and has been the cause for much of the downtime on the ride. Its parked in the maintenance bay. Expect longer than normal wait times.

Went to the park yesterday, attendance was nice a little busy for a Tuesday. It seems like SFOT is going to have a good year with attendance. Lines averaged 45 mins yesterday. NTAG was operating with blue and red train yesterday.