TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Enough about Astroworld. Sky Screamer... does anybody know when we can expect pieces on site?

Not until March or April at the earliest I imagine.

Edit: Looking at the SFDK thread, it wasn't until March 31 that construction really picked up with the final piece up in two weeks. I imagine SFOT to take three to four weeks for their Sky Screamer to fully rise.

Found this on another site.

It mostly has to do with the viscosity of the grease used to lubricate the wheel bearings. Grease is nothing more than oil held in suspension in a base material, such as clay. Modern greases have more sophisticated synthetic bases. It is formulated to give it's maximum performence with in a specific tempeture range. Low viscosity greases are for low temp, high for warmer temp. Since the coaster train will be operating for the most part in warmer to hot conditions the higher viscosity greases are used. At the lower temp range the grease thickens increasing drag, or friction in the bearings.Thus a slower ride.

coasterbuzz.com/Forums/Topic/coasters-running-slow-in-the-cold#362644

So I guess they are running a bit slower.

I am still surprised that the park is opened until this Sunday. I may go this Sunday to see the last day of operations for the season.

I still have two extra 2012 one day tickets that I did not use. Got them for free during the Coaster Wars film shoot. I wonder if they would still work? I have a season pass so don't really need them.

Went to the park earlier today (which was the last day of the 2012 season). Light crowds when I got there around noon but they started to pick up by the time I left (around 2). Finally got to experience the New Texas Giant's loading procedure too.

I also took a video of the new loading procedure (see below). My take: it feels faster, but I'm still not totally convinced it actually is. The pouches seem to do the most in speeding things up as most people don't need to go to the cubbies to store small things. They still need to add separate lines for the first and last cars to give riders some choice, and I see this could very easily be incorporated with the new loading scheme.

So is it faster? I'm not sure, but since the line moves at a slower, albeit more continuous pace, it feels faster. I do have another theory: since the train is continuously moving it almost makes everyone loading/unloading hustle a bit faster than when a train is just sitting in the station. That in itself could create faster loading.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

^Hmm--interesting. I suppose keeping the train moving could speed things up. I assume they stop the train to accommodate disabled riders who have to transfer from wheelchairs or ECVs. The pouches are a good idea (Disney has been using these for years).

^Well, this system has worked for rides like Hollywood Rip Ride Rockit and Space Fantasy, although those can move through a lot more people, and were designed with continuous loading in mind.

Exactly--I think they'd have to reconfigure the station to make this work properly. HRnR at least has a conveyor belt to help out here.

We shall see.

Actually I got word that the park is already planning to add separate lines for the front/back so that removes my biggest concern about the whole thing...

What I don't get is why they don't just dispatch the train after the last lapbar is checked instead of letting it creep to the end of the station and then letting it go. Or maybe they can?

Edited by BrandonR

Actually I got word that the park is already planning to add separate lines for the front/back so that removes my biggest concern about the whole thing...

Thats better. I don't mind that at all. PLUS pockets for your phone!

Yeah, since the pockets are just mesh you could actually start a recording on your phone before zipping it up and get a free on-ride video of yourself.

I dont know about you guys but I love New Texas Giant. And I know we all know about Iron Rattler opening this Spring in San Antonio, and Outlaw Run at Silver Dollar City. But also a new rumor reports that the Magic Mountain park will get the Iron Horse treatment on Colossus in 2014, or 15. I'm sure these coasters will be amazing. And to think, it all started here in Texas with NTAG! It feels good knowing we were first! Because this Iron treatment is clearly the future of coasters, along with some others. So glad that Texas Giant will always be the first. Texas really is special.

What I don't get is why they don't just dispatch the train after the last lapbar is checked instead of letting it creep to the end of the station and then letting it go. Or maybe they can?

They can, and do when they want to unless it has already cleared the last guide wheel in the station.

I actually can see this working, but I'm sure they will screw it up somehow.

Basically they will be able to run 3 trains in peak season. That's the goal. One train will always be on course, somewhere, one loading, and one coming off course. Once the train coming off course is pushed close it will creep up behind the train in front that should be finished loading the last row and within seconds they can begin off loading and loading. If a lapbar doesn't register properly, and I've witnessed this, the panel op can stop the train on the transfer track(obviously it's not going much further without the computer going nuts), fix, and then let it roll off. I say roll off because, well, that's what it basically does, the motors on the table don't seem to have any gusto whatsoever.

I see the concept, I see with the addition this short off season of the front and last row lines, that it can work, they just have to let it work and not try to cheap it. I do, however, see lockers becoming required for large bags and items. And really, that's not such a bad thing.