TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

All I know it I stood in line for Giant about 15 minutes before leaving yesterday. One train operation on the most popular ride in the park on a weekend? Are you kidding me? And to top it off this new loading scheme must have been slowing things down even further, as there was consistently at LEAST a 5 minute delay between the train arriving at the station and it leaving again.

Maybe they adopted the super efficient maintenance schedule from Magic Mountain! That's too bad, but it could have been any number of things. We just have to hope it doesn't become a regular occurrence.

If this somehow gets them to run three trains without stacking, I'm for it. But....I don't see that happening.

With as slow as trains were getting dispatched yesterday, they were essentially stacking with one train.

What's sad was the park wasn't even that crowded yesterday. Titan was maybe a 5-train wait with its two trains running. During the 15 minutes I waited in line for Giant, the only reason the line ever moved was due to more and more people leaving the line. It's sad when the general public starts recognizing how horribly inefficient operations are to about face and leave the line (and if you know how long Giant's line is, it's no simple feat).

I'm all for experimenting new ideas to increase efficiency, but how about when the park's not open and not making paying guests guinea pigs? There's plenty of private party days stuff like that can get ironed out during...

I'm all for experimenting new ideas to increase efficiency, but how about when the park's not open and not making paying guests guinea pigs? There's plenty of private party days stuff like that can get ironed out during...

This is like saying Disney or Universal shouldn't soft-open to work out the kinks of their new rides before the crowds start flocking en masse. The park shouldn't test out a new loading system on a packed day, no, but they have every right to do it on a less busy day - it gives them a chance to work out the kinks while seeing how the system handles an average crowd level, after which they can decide whether it's practical to make the change permanent.

This is like saying Disney or Universal shouldn't soft-open to work out the kinks of their new rides before the crowds start flocking en masse. The park shouldn't test out a new loading system on a packed day, no, but they have every right to do it on a less busy day - it gives them a chance to work out the kinks while seeing how the system handles an average crowd level, after which they can decide whether it's practical to make the change permanent.

Well perhaps I understated the crowds a bit. There was still a pretty good size crowd for Holiday in the Park. And I'm all for soft openings but honestly as slow as the trains were being dispatched, it's like they had came up with this plan 5 minutes prior to park opening. I questioned whether the ride was open or not several times as I walked through the queue since no trains were being dispatched. And like I said, during this time of the year, there are several private parties that they could have done the testing during instead of upsetting regular guests.

^ thanks for the video. I'm still not sold on this new loading style. It seems like it would take the same amount of time. It just seems weird to start this now. I could see this working for a slow day where the line is short. I also wonder how long before the locals get pissed since there not allowed to pick a row anymore.

It'll probably be most effective when they're running all the trains. As far as people complaining about not being able to choose their own seats, oh well.....they'll get over it. Disney assigns seats all the time and I've never seen anyone complain about it when I've been at their parks.

The difference between this and RRRocket is that the latter loads 12 rows at a time while utilizing the continuously moving system. The NTG loads 1 row at a time with the train moving at a VERY slow pace compared to the old system of loading 12 rows at a time with the train at a standstill.

I don't see how this is any more efficient at all.

Also, how does unloading work?

Wow. That just does not scream efficiency. A loss of the ability for guests to choose a seat they want or avoid those that they are afraid of for a zero to negligible improvement in efficiency doesn't seem to be worth it. On the plus side, at least you'll always be one row apart from your entire party.

As for Disney assigning seats, they do help guests with reasonable requests depending on the ride.

I won't judge efficiency until we have figures that back any conclusions up, so I am just going to ask: is this a permanent thing or are they just trying it out?

I guess the only thing that helps is people having this feeling of urgency and, thus, boarding the train faster.

OK, after watching the video, I'm still not seeing why they're doing this. I cannot believe it will make the line go any faster. Though I do like the addition of the seat pockets. That might speed up loading a bit if people are crossing thru the train to put stuff in a bin.

Will be very curious to see if they keep doing this, especially when the park is busier.

dt

It'll probably be most effective when they're running all the trains. As far as people complaining about not being able to choose their own seats, oh well.....they'll get over it. Disney assigns seats all the time and I've never seen anyone complain about it when I've been at their parks.

Yes, Disney has groupers at most attractions that will assign seats but if the guest requests a particular row/seat we have to grant their request.

I actually think assigned seating is a great idea. Deja @ SFMM had assigned seating which I believed worked great. Assigned seating helps at X2 as well. NTAG's new loading procedure seems like it will work well with all 3 trains and I'm all for SF parks trying to improve efficiency.

With most coasters, I don't see what the problem is with the good ol' pick your seat and when the air gates open, everyone loads. I understand assigned seating and/or ride-ops holding riders from entering the station. Though, I can't see how this continous cycle helps the capacity for any coaster with multiple cars (4-seater spinning coasters can benefit from the continous cycle). I really hope this will stop soon.