TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

• 2 weeks later...

Alright, I've been meaning to ask this for some time. My brother was the one who initially asked me the question and I thought I knew but I am not sure. I just spent around 30-40 minutes trying to search for the answer in the thread because I thought surely, someone else has asked it. The question I have is: Why does NTAG still have an employee working on the MCBR? The employee is always just chilling in the seat, sometimes will wave to the trains.

I have heard it has power outages in that area but why would you need an employee sitting up there all day. Does he control the brake run? Most of the time if your stuck on a coaster, then you will wait for the employee to climb up to you. Its probably a very simple answer. I just have been so curious about it since my brother asked me.

There are several possibilities, none of which I know for sure, but I can guess:

[1] In the days of old, TxGiant often came to a complete stop on the MCBR and the person was there to insure that nobody tried to get out (which is shockingly commonplace when a ride comes to an e-stop). Insurance regulations for the ride might still demand that a person be stationed there to prevent this in case the ride needs to be e-stopped. It would take a LONG TIME for someone to get from the station to the MCBR to calm down the riders and make sure they're not doing something stupid.

[2] That person can do a quick visual scan of the train and e-stop it if he/she sees something wrong. Lap bars up, people trying to film the ride, whatever. Nobody in the station would be able to see that kind of detail, even with cameras.

[3] Tradition?

[1] In the days of old, TxGiant often came to a complete stop on the MCBR and the person was there to insure that nobody tried to get out (which is shockingly commonplace when a ride comes to an e-stop). Insurance regulations for the ride might still demand that a person be stationed there to prevent this in case the ride needs to be e-stopped. It would take a LONG TIME for someone to get from the station to the MCBR to calm down the riders and make sure they're not doing something stupid.

I also thought it may have something to do with insurance regulations and the past of Giant. Because, besides maybe some of the water rides, this is the only coaster at the park where there is a guy at the MCBR. It's surprising that Six Flags did not find a way around it when they changed the coaster. It could just be one of those things its cheaper to have the guy then to fight it or get sued later on.

Does anyone know why SFOT does not use Texas Arena anymore? It's a nice arena that they have used in the past for shows. I wish they would either tear it down for something new, or bring a new live outdoor production.

They used it for Fright Fest, it was home to two of the haunted houses this year.

For those wondering about the Christmas lights the park added to Texas Chute for Holiday In The Park every year, they will be adding the lights to both sides of the Oil Derrick Tower. I noticed the lights on both sides of the tower today as I was walking around the outside of the park. I think those lights will look very cool on both sides of the tower leading up to the stars the park places at the top of the tower each year for Holiday In The Park.

I fully support that concept! Oil Derrick is a good 100ft taller than chutes were ( granted they wont go to the top of the tower now) so these will likely be much longer strings and probably twice as many. Sounds like an upgrade to me! I'm really glad they decided it was worth relocating. It always was a great piece of eye candy.

They should attempt a Guinness World Record! I've never been to SFOT for Holiday in the Park. I have been however to the one at Six Flags Fiesta Texas and despite the fact that half the rides were not opperational, and half of the opperational rides were broken, it was decorated real nicely!

Glad to see sky streamer construction is coming along!

I'm sorry I should have made the post more clear. I know they use Texas Arena during Fright Fest. However, other then that they do not. I know in the past they used the Arena for live productions, and I was wondering if anyone knew why they do not anymore...

I'm not sure, but if I had to guess it'd be cost. Surely the stunt shows in the Texas Arena were the most expensive productions in the park, and with the budget as tight as it has been the past few years I'm not surprised they haven't had a show there in a while. Of course this is only speculation...

^^^When they built the Star Flyer at the Galveton Island Historic Pleasure Pier, it took them a million years to do the foundation work, then the tower went up practically in a day or two. Again, this ride is built 100% over water, so Six Flags has the advantage of it's Sky Screamer being on land, so foundation work should go quicker as they had a lot to do underneath the pier in Galeston as well, the tower is taller and more complex, but that should go up fast.

The ride looks exciting! Although it wasn't as thrilling as the Iron Shark, the Star Flyer at the Pleausre Pier was excellent! It really picks up speed and you see the entire island all while feeling so free. I didn't feel restrained at all. Since this one is bigger I can only assume it will be greater!

Hey guess, Happy Thanks Giving, Not sure if this is anything related to the construction or not. I passed by the park after leaving my moms house. I stopped at the Vallero across from the park for gas, and saw a city truck and 3 workers inspecting and marking some areas in front of the strip mall. Has there been any new talk or rumors regarding demolishing of the strip mall?