TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

As of this evening there were still pieces of the blue parachute available, including the center ring. Some of the pieces had starting bids of only $9.99. I won bids on three pieces today...should have them by middle of next week.

I remember riding the Texas Chute Out the year it opened. I was 13. then taking my own kids on it when they were tall enough (they are in their 20's now). Having these pieces is most definitely a nostalgia thing for me.

As of this evening there were still pieces of the blue parachute available, including the center ring. Some of the pieces had starting bids of only $9.99. I won bids on three pieces today...should have them by middle of next week.

I remember riding the Texas Chute Out the year it opened. I was 13. then taking my own kids on it when they were tall enough (they are in their 20's now). Having these pieces is most definitely a nostalgia thing for me.

I won a blue piece myself.

The ride opened the year I was born and I grew up loving it. Both of my boys (10 and 6) have always loved the ride as well. If they would have just left it open one more year, my daughter could have had the chance to ride and I know she would have loved it.

I never made it to SFOT this year. My last trip was during Fright Fest in 2011. We rode the Chute Out that evening before we left the park. I took some pics on the ride that evening. Little did I know it would be our last ride. I will forever miss the sound of the seats buzzing up and down the cables, but I will never forget it.

My bids end in 11 hours! I should find out of I won by 9am CST tomorrow morning! I should win both the pieces I bid on. Anyone think otherwise?

A bit on my history with the Chute Out. I'm a youngin... 16. My first trip to SFOT was when I was probably 10 or so. (At this time, I LOVED rollercoasters, but would ride them. Odd.) Anyways, I always loved the chute out. It was so cool, fun, cool way to see the park. When I found out it was closing, it just so happened to close like 10 days after my family trip to SFOT. It was my first time on Mr. Freeze (Reverse) and my sisters (age 10 at the time) on Titan and NTAG (I drug her on them as I don't want her to be like me at age 10, a chicken.) I drug my famiy on the chute out for a few last rides and although my experience with the ride does not date back to the 70s, my heart sank when it fell. As I turned 16 in July, I was FINALLY old enough to get a bank account. I got my account a long time ago, and I knew now I can actually order stuff... ONLINE! I HAD to bid on some pieces as the proceeds go to a big cause, and because I want it to jump start my theme park memorabilia collection.

Don't judge cause I'm young, I'm a nerd just like everyone else! And I'm a Texan. Yeehaw.

That is such a drastic improvement! Makes you realize how shabby it really was looking. The bobsleds are a beloved staple at SFOT. I personally love them to death, and with chute out and Air Racer gone, the bobsleds and mine train are really the survivors from my childhood now.

I guess I'll share my sentiment for Chute Out here too. I'll never forget when I was five years old, in 1988, we were going to Six Flags for the first time. I kept staring out the window wondering when I would catch a glimpse of the park. All of the sudden in the distance I saw a tall white tower with arms fanning from the top. It was the most unusual and exciting looking structure I had ever seen, and set my heart pounding in anticipation wondering what other amazing things waited to be seen. It was the first ride I ever laid eyes on and sparked my fascination for parks. That spark has grown for 24 years and I'll miss driving to the park and seeing the origin of my passion. Thanks for the memories Chute Out!

The new paint job on La Vibora looks fantastic! Does anyone else remember when it actually was that old faded blue? As to how it rides I have always found it to be hit or miss...even when it first opened. It is still a fun ride but the line has to be very short before wil ride. Capacity has always been an issue for it.

Am I the only one who actually some what enjoys La Vibora? Yes it has capacity issues but its a fun ride. The brake sections of the ride can be a little awkward but its really not a bad ride. Also, I've only seen it break down once while I was there. Of course, now that I say that, it will break down every time I go now.

I hadn't been to SFOT in a few years, but I never thought La Vibora had looked bad until now. It had this kind of peeling snake-skin look that seemed fitting for the ride and design, but now it looks like it's painted ceramic. The ride looks nice and fresh! I can't say anything about the ride since I've never ridden it...off of looks, the line never seemed justifiable with Titan being a walk-on next door.

Does anyone else remember when it actually was that old faded blue?

Yes, it was called "Avalanche Bobsleds" back then. The name fit the ride better than "La Vibora" does, but it didn't fit at all in the section of the park where it's located.

LV is one of those rides that represents a good transition for up-n-coming coaster enthusiasts. It's fun/exciting enough to appeal to the teens and adults in the family, but not so scary that the rest of the folks (tall enough) want to sit it out. SFOT does have a few of these rides already - Pandemonium, Judge, Mine Train - but its main appeal is that it gives the park some real variety of coastering experiences. If they ever take it out, I hope they replace it with another bobsled - how about a clone of Schweitzer Bobbahn from Heide Park?

It could also be fun to enclose the track so that it resembles a pipeline... there could be fun effects added then, the ride would be in the dark, and it would be LOUD.

It could also be fun to enclose the track so that it resembles a pipeline... there could be fun effects added then, the ride would be in the dark, and it would be LOUD.

Well, it may be a good idea at first, but then all of the effects would break, and it would be replaced by a wing rider. But, of course, it would be twenty-ish years late, but whatever! Just relocate X-Flight!

^No, no, no, I'm not talking about putting it in a box, retheming it with some lame space idea, and marketing it as a good ride..... I'm talking about putting a cover on the track like an enclosed water slide. As for effects, all you'd need would be some LED lights and maybe a fog machine.

OOO, you could leave the brake sections open (leaving enough light for the riders to see those coming, preventing the jarring effects of being caught off-guard in the dark by those) - put fog machines in the tunnels, then as each car exited the tunnel, there would be a burst of fog with it, visible to folks on the ground.

Come to think of it, that would be a really cool effect for Freeze, too. The train rockets out of the tunnel, dragging all that "smoke" behind it.

I enjoy La Vibora too, & even as much as I liked Disaster Transport, but I get upset, when classic rides go away too, but If they did remove it, I hope at least they can replace it with a great history that Texas has never had before like a Vekoma Flying Dutchman something like that!

Let's see what SFOT has already so we can speculate what they might "need" -

Kiddie: Wile E Coyote

Junior: Mini Mine Train

Enclosed: Runaway Mountain

Shuttle: Freeze

Inverted: Batman

Bobsled: La Vibora

Spinning: Pandemonium

Mine Train: Run-a-way Mine Train

Looper: Shockwave

Wood: Judge

Hybrid: New Texas Giant

Hyper: Titan

So there's room in that lineup for a mouse, a flyer, a wing coaster, a standup, or (long shot) a wood twister.

Something like Europa's Poseidon would be a good fit for those brutal Texas summers, too.

However, one thing that SFOT completely lacks is a good dark ride. How cool would it be to see something like Blackpool's Valhalla go in that spot where the dead mall is now, or maybe a DC-themed dark ride... OMG, if they did one of those enclosed mouse Dark Knight things, they could take two things off the wish list with just one ride. That would suck, though, I'd rather see something interesting and with higher capacity.

Or maybe purchase the Batman The Escape from astroworld an Intamin Standup!

It would be difficult to purchase anything from Astroworld now. Darien Lake, I believe, has the thing rotting in a field somewhere.

Besides, it would be better to have a GOOD standup than Batman the Escape... wait. Did I just say "good standup"? Those are so rare that I really don't see any parks likely to invest on a new (not recycled) standup any time soon.

How about another first-ever coaster? They could build a launched wooden spinning flying mouse coaster!

...and call it Green Lantern or some other such stupid thing.

However, one thing that SFOT completely lacks is a good dark ride. How cool would it be to see something like Blackpool's Valhalla go in that spot where the dead mall is now, or maybe a DC-themed dark ride... OMG, if they did one of those enclosed mouse Dark Knight things, they could take two things off the wish list with just one ride. That would suck, though, I'd rather see something interesting and with higher capacity.

Wait...doesn't SFOT have the Bugs Bunny themed boat ride? I kinda thought that was one of the best dark rides of the entire Six Flags chain. I can't only think of Monster Mansion as being a better one!