TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Just came from SFOT, Fright Fest was a blast!! Gotta say, of the four Haunted Houses, Piggy's Slaughter House was the scariest. Circus Bizerkus was pretty cool with the 3-D effects. And Cadaver Asylum was downright unnerving with it's mad doctor theme. Then there's Skullduggery, a spooky walk through the woods with fog machines a plenty.

But Piggy's Slaughter House was easily the best of the bunch with it's Texas Chainsaw Massacre theme. One of the most nauseating sights was the garbage can full of discarded human body parts and fake blood!

I love the new paint on Shockwave!

I was at the park today, and yes it looks great. It wasn't running last night - Friday which was a disappointment. Today was a very cold and blustery day at the park. I was surprised at all the people there with the temps and forecast for rain to boot.

I got stuck at the top of Titan today for more than 15 minutes. It was very cold and uncomfortable. The ride-op they sent up to speak with us, hurt his knee so he needed rescue too. Quite a fiasco! We then finished the ride but had to "walk the plank" (final brake run) because they were running 3 trains, and they couldn't dispatch for some reason. The park was "real cheap" with the compensation IMO. We got a 1 ride flash pass good today only but not on NTAG. They took our names and phone numbers but nothing else. I'm sure nothing else will happen. I wanted lunch for all this time wasted. It took forever to off load us and take our information. I'm not impressed.

^ So what you're saying is that you got a ride on Titan that lasted about 100 times longer than everyone else's ride and then got a Flash Pass on top of that, and you're pissed they didn't throw in lunch, too?

Seriously, you wanted lunch for "all that time wasted" but what about the folks who had already invested their time in the queue, then had to wait the same amount of time you did while the ride was stuck, but never got to ride at all? What about their time wasted, which was considerably more frustrating than yours, since you not only got to ride, but got a Flash Pass as well?

A coaster is a machine. Machines occasionally have down time. Once in a great while, you might be on it when that happens. Deal with it. OK, so you were cold. Big deal. It's not like you were upside-down or dangling from a chair swing 200ft in the air or anything. The park didn't owe you anything. You assume those risks when you get in line and you know it. I've been stuck on rides several times, and have never been compensated for my "wasted time" nor my discomfort. I never expected them to, and surely wouldn't have gone online afterward and whined like a little bitch that my precious time had been wasted and I deserved more than what the park gave me.

/rant

Okay for both of you critics of me. The flash pass I got (front of line pass) was for 1 ride! It's not like I got a real flash pass (which I wouldn't expect). You had to tell the manager what one ride you wanted, but it didn't include NTAG. At that time all the lines were short (except NTAG). The total time expended for this episode was about 1 hour. All the rides became very busy by then. I know breakdowns happen. I ride thousands of coasters every year.

Regarding the people waiting in line (wasted time); they were under shelter, unlike us near the top of the hill. If I'm in line waiting and the ride breaks, I'd leave. I didn't have that option on the lift hill, and waiting to be manually off loaded on the final break run. Guys get over it. It's only my opinion. Isn't that what these forums are for???

I know breakdowns happen... get over it.

The point wasn't made clear enough, obviously, so I edited down your post into the important things, highlighting what should become your mantra from now on so you won't get your undies in a bunch next time a ride stalls with you on it and the park doesn't reward you to the extent that you think you deserve.

You got a (one-ride) flash pass out of it. You said that the park had gotten busy during your delay, so that pass for the one ride might've just saved you that hour you "lost" on Titan.

SFOT didn't have to do ANYTHING for you guys. At all. But they did, it was more than a lot of parks would've done, and yet you still found the need to whine about it here because they didn't buy you lunch.

I ride thousands of coasters every year.

Just wondering about the current status on Flashback. Is it completely removed yet? I guess they will use that area as queue for Texas Skyscreamer, been wondering about that space when its all removed.

I didn't see any part of the track left when I was out there on Friday. Supposedly, that whole area, including the abandoned shopping area, will be used for future expansion. But right now it's all hush hush- if you know what I mean.

Edited by Sportsdude360

Just wondering about the current status on Flashback. Is it completely removed yet? I guess they will use that area as queue for Texas Skyscreamer, been wondering about that space when its all removed.

I didn't see any part the of track left when I was out there on Friday. Supposedly, that whole area, including the abandoned shopping area, will be used for future expansion. But right now it's all hush hush- if you know what I mean.

I don't go to SFOT much, but I saw old red track and trains in the back of the parking lot viewable from the top of the hill on Titan. I'm guessing those are the remains...

we went to dinner with friends visiting Austin from Dallas last night, and Six Flags came up.

they are VERY excited about the announcement of the Texas Skyscreamer.

I questioned if it wouldn't get shut down often, due to how often they seem to have to close the tower, and the Chute Out due to high winds (and how often they used to have to close the planes, back before that spot became the Superman towers).

their response?

"oh.. . . yeah, I'll bet it will be shut down a lot."

but I guess the take away was that the general public (our friends are in their 40's) are excited about the new ride announcement

Six Flags must have realized people love when parks blow things up.

ARLINGTON, Texas (AP) — Having a blast at Six Flags Over Texas will take on new meaning Wednesday.

The amusement park in Arlington on Tuesday announced plans to implode the 200-foot-tall Texas Chute Out.

The parachute drop-style ride opened in 1976 but closed last month to make way for a tower swing ride called the Texas SkyScreamer. The new ride opens next year.

Park officials say the implosion will happen Wednesday afternoon but Arlington city officials have asked that the exact time not be made public.

Six Flags Over Texas is operated by Six Flags Entertainment Corp.

www.businessweek.com/ap/2012-10-09/texas-chute-out-ride-at-six-flags-to-be-imploded

If there is concern for the tower's falling path, perhaps it won't fall to the side. The entire ride could be rigged to collapse straight downward from implosion.

Falling over would arguably be more exciting, though. We'll just have to see.

It would have to fall towards the abandoned shopping area. There may be enough room if they've finished removing Flashback. On the other hand, the old bumper car building is still there. It's possible the building may be hit by a falling Chute Out tower. But they're demolishing it anyway so it may not matter.