TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

^I've also been on both of the Dark Knights. The Great Adventure one left a bad taste in my mouth, because I didn't know what it was going to be and was sorely let down. But this summer I went on the Great America one and had a blast. For what it is, they're tons of fun. Maybe SFOT could get a Bane-themed Wild Mouse

So, SFOT JUST got a crazy new coaster and yet your already whining about how they should add another? I don't know about would, but I would kill to have a coaster like Ntag in California, the thing looks insane! But not only that, but you have Mr. Freeze, Titan, and Shockwave which are all very well received rides.

I think at some point we all covet the coasters at other parks. I would love to have Griffon close to me, I305, Tatsu. I have ridden the costers at SFoT so much I am bored with them, so I am the one of the first ones on board for wanting a new coaster. I honesty would love to see them get rid of Adventure Theater. There would be a nice little chunk of space for something fun and compact. I do however appreciate the things they have done (NTAG). I look forward to what the future holds for this park.

I like the Dark Knight coasters just fine, but Six Flags did make a huge mistake and I get why the coasters didn't gain much acceptance. They took an intense action thriller movie, and turned it into a family coaster. The movie and the ride are created for nearly opposite audiences. A movie like that left people anticipating a wild ride like flight of fear. I love the coasters for what they are but they fall pitifully short of what the film is. Anyhow I'm certain it's not coming to SFOT. I would like to see a D.C. Universe section that connects to the back Gotham making a loop of two dead ends. Not that those themed areas have squat to do with what SFOT is supposed to be thematically, but there is no stopping what's already been done.

Did anyone know that Pandemonium got stuck on July 27, 2012 and I was so suprised. It had people in the car and everything! People were working on it basically all day. Does this happen normally? I know I'm late about this, but I haven't had internet for a week!

Does it happen normally? If you mean does it happen all the time, No. Is it national news worthy? No. Coasters shouldn't stall by design (with the possible exception of Discovery Kingdom's Superman ) but it does happen. I wonder what contributed to it here? Wind? Cold? Something on the track?

yea it only cost like 3 mil to make the dark knight...... besides that i dont really see sfot going over the top with a big ride...... because the intake on money is just not there..... they get most of there money during spring break.......after that they waste money until fright fest....... then again waste money until holiday in the park.... believe me i know i worked there.... its a lame cheap fest....dont get me wrong fun place to work at when you are young and have the right friends..... but sfot they are cheap and let things crumble until people complain only reason its still open because its the flag ship sixflags period.....

So let's start the speculation going: So far, SFOT already has

1. Bobsled

2. Hypercoaster

3. Steel twister hybrid

4. Steel looper

5. Indoor coaster

6. Mine train

7. Family coaster

8. Launched reverse coaster

9. Inverted coaster

10. Wood out/back

11. Kiddie coaster

12. Spinning coaster

So assuming they don't want a similar coaster to what they already have, what would be a good fit for the park?

I'm betting on a flying coaster or maybe even a wing coaster... I think the age of the standup coaster is over and I don't see them putting in another woodie. Whatever it is, given its prominent location next to the entrance, it needs to look great.

Is anyone else surprised (and a bit disappointed) that rcdb lists NTaG on the same entry as TxGiant?

Yes, some of the support structure is used in both rides, but that's true of the Crystal Beach Cyclone and the Comet (later moved to NY)... those get separate listings.

IMHO, NTaG is a completely new coaster and should have a separate listing.

yea it only cost like 3 mil to make the dark knight...... besides that i dont really see sfot going over the top with a big ride...... because the intake on money is just not there..... they get most of there money during spring break.......after that they waste money until fright fest....... then again waste money until holiday in the park.... believe me i know i worked there.... its a lame cheap fest....dont get me wrong fun place to work at when you are young and have the right friends..... but sfot they are cheap and let things crumble until people complain only reason its still open because its the flag ship sixflags period.....

Um, no. You are going to need to read the site's TOS before you continue to post:

http://www.themeparkreview.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=177#p177

Pay close attention to this one:

9. Spelling and Grammar - bad spelling and grammar will NOT be tolerated! Theme Park Review's forum includes a spell checker and there is a great one available with Google's Toolbar. If we have to edit too many of your posts, you may be suspended from the forum. Text Message shorthand or "l77t" speak is not allowed. A typo here and there is acceptable, but illegible posts are not.

Bascially, what Wes said:

^ Can you try that again with more capital letters and less ellipses?

I would say that a winged would probably be the most logical move as they are "new" unlike the flying coasters. A floorless would probably not be the way to go due to the close proximity of SFFT. Stand ups time has passed...for now... A giga would be unlikely due to the taller nature of the Titan. I doubt they would go with another Stratacoaster due to the problems with Kingda Ka. A wood may not be a bad idea since the NTaG has steel track. The Outlaw looks quite impressive and only costs around $10 million.

NTG (should definitely not be an A in there) is a great addition to the park but what was the last major, unique coaster the park got before that?

Pandemonium/Big Spin/Tony Hawk/Whatever they're calling it this year: clone.

Titan is a clone of Goliath with an extra helix, so that's out...

Batman: clone.

Freeze: clone.

Runaway Mountain: clone (essentially).

So in fact it looks like Texas Giant was the park's last original coaster (along with its reborn form). Which is why if SFoT just adds another clone in Flashback/Bumper Cars/Shopping Center's place it's going to be a disappointment. And if they use all that available real estate for a wimpy Dark Knight wild mouse it's also going to be a double disappointment, because it's not like the park has similar large tracts of land to build big future attractions in (unless we get a dreaded parking lot ride). Oh, and we already have a dark indoor coaster...

And if a Sky Screamer goes in Chute Out's place the park just becomes one step closer to being a clone of Fiesta Texas. How many identical rides are they going to add to the two Texas Six Flags parks? What motivation are people in the DFW area going to have to go to San Antonio when they can ride half the rides at SFoT, and vice versa?

I probably sound whiny but it's out of love. Let's recall that this is the original Six Flags park and it introduced numerous firsts to the amusement park industry. It's very sad indeed to see it lose its persona and individuality little-by-little every season.

Edited by BrandonR

The point I'm making is that they're not unique layouts, not that they're not good rides. And Texas has 3 B:TR clones. 3! It's as if the park has an identity disorder due to a distinct lack of originality.

And it shouldn't matter if the clone is down the street or across the world (although it does sting a little that 4 hours away in San Antonio there are 3 of the same coasters).

And it shouldn't matter if the clone is down the street or across the world (although it does sting a little that 4 hours away in San Antonio there are 3 of the same coasters).

There's a THIRD Batman clone in San Antonio I don't know about?!

Anyway, since people are speculating/daydreaming about future SFOT additions, I'll share my SFOT fantasy. I think it would be cool to see the entire Chute Out/Flashback/bumper cars/shopping center area incorporated into Gotham City and turned into a full-fledged DC Superheroes Universe (as has been rumored on Screamscape). Things I think would be good to see in said area would include some kind of dark ride or splash battle with an Arkham Asylum theme, maybe a new flat or two, the rumored sky screamer, perhaps with some kind of Justice League Watch Tower theme, and a roller coaster. A Wing Rider would be awesome and doesn't seem beyond the realm of possibility. Not sure how they would theme that. If the Green Lantern sequel does end up being produced, I could see Green Lantern tie-in working with a Wing Rider. I also thing a Euro Fighter would be cool. I know this would be a lot to ask though! Lol.

If the Green Lantern sequel does end up being produced, I could see Green Lantern tie-in working with a Wing Rider. I also thing a Euro Fighter would be cool. I know this would be a lot to ask though! Lol.

My first though was a euro fighter much like DDD. Was the movie Green Lantern even good and yes D.C. universe sounds like a cool idea.

A wood may not be a bad idea since the NTaG has steel track.

Why, is NTAG not giving you wood(jk) No I don't see another wooden coaster and why would they when the GP thinks of NTAG as a new wooden coaster.

^I didn't see it. It was not a total flop, but it didn't perform at the box office nearly as well as they had expected. The studio is still saying, however, that plans for a sequel are alive. I could see a Green Lantern theme applying well to a Wing Rider or Euro Fighter, but I can't imagine them using that unless it coincided with another film release. What I'd really love to see produced is a live action The Flash movie, with some Six Flags rides themed accordingly, but that would make more sense for a launched coaster, which I don't see SFOT needing or getting.

^I didn't see it. It was not a total flop, but it didn't perform at the box office nearly as well as they had expected. The studio is still saying, however, that plans for a sequel are alive. I could see a Green Lantern theme applying well to a Wing Rider or Euro Fighter, but I can't imagine them using that unless it coincided with another film release. What I'd really love to see produced is a live action The Flash movie, with some Six Flags rides themed accordingly, but that would make more sense for a launched coaster, which I don't see SFOT needing or getting.

Six Flags Over Georgia is in dire need of a Launch coaster.

I think "dire" is overstating it just a wee bit. Besides, they do have a launched coaster--Mr. Freeze (even if it is a shuttle).

Are we talking about the same park?

Six Flags Over Georgia.

Although Dare Devil Dive seems to due them justice. Has a nice twisty layout, something you'd find on a LSM intamin coaster.

"Dire" might be a little dramatic, but I agree. SFOG and SFNE both lack a launched coaster experience, and if The Flash movie happens anytime soon, I'd love to see that theme used in those two parks! I can't imagine any circumstance where a new launch coaster would be making its way to SFOT.