TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I'll never forget when I was five years old, and we took our first trip to SFOT. I saw the Chute Out tower come into view, and said "Is THAT where we are going??" I've been in love with the sight of that tower ever since.

I did like Flashback, however it's not a loss since they are a dime a dozen. My old home park certainly won't feel the same for a while now though. Thanks for the life long memories you guys!

Too bad Texas Chute Out is going away (glad I got to ride it New Texas Giant Bash). But I will shed no tears for Flashback (even though it was OK as Boomerangs go).

I completely agree, especially considering that Flashback will most likely be moved while Texas Chute Out will probably be scrapped.

I can already see how an X-Flight clone may fit in that new area. I really hope that something different comes to the park, although it'll probably be another chain ride.

And look what it was replaced with. An Invertigo that seems to be getting stuck with riders on the lift on an almost weekly basis.

It's too bad that the parachutes are leaving. I have never been to SFOT but I really like the parachutes at Great Adventure since it is such a unique ride. I hope that one won't be removed next.

Let's face it, while classic, the Chute Out is ultra low capacity and has realistically reached it's end of useful life. A 300+ foot StarFlyer will be a much better fit on that end of the park giving patrons a nice relaxing view. We should be happy that SF's is actually putting in flat rides and spending money instead of keeping the same old tired attractions. Superman and Pandahawkeum were the parks last major attractions prior to NTAG, that's 5 years between e-tickets, so to get another e-ticket 2 years after NTAG is winning.

As for the rest of the park, well let's just say that old strip mall may finally meet it's maker soon.

Sad to see Chute Out go. But a Star Flyer in it's place would be fine by me and a needed improvement!

Flashback however I'm GLAD to see go. The OTSR's are overly restraining and nothing about that ride is fun. People who like inversions have at it, but they're just not exciting on this ride.

I can't wait to see what they add to this area though. The strip center/bumpercars building is a decent amount of space to use!

A number of GP in the comments are complaining that Flashback is the best ride in the park and that they should keep it, and get rid of Shockwave instead because it's a terrible ride.

Let them ride it every year for 5 years and then see what they think. Flashback has a *WOW* factor (for anyone who hasn't seen like... 14 Vekoma Boomerangs) while Shockwave looks more like what I would think is a very basic coaster. Some hills curves and a couple loops.

*WOW* factor works on many people. Some enthusiasts I would even say... Just look at X-Flight Heck, 2 nights ago it was a walk on while Whizzer had over a 30 minute wait. The pretty new ride ain't sticking...

That's strange either way. The first time I have ever heard of anyone saying something negative about Shockwave.

Then again, there was a kid getting off Voyage in it's opening year and complained "Mean Streak is way better!" Ahh... I forgot the kool-aid flows into the GP, too.

Let's face it, while classic, the Chute Out is ultra low capacity and has realistically reached it's end of useful life. A 300+ foot StarFlyer will be a much better fit on that end of the park giving patrons a nice relaxing view. We should be happy that SF's is actually putting in flat rides and spending money instead of keeping the same old tired attractions. Superman and Pandahawkeum were the parks last major attractions prior to NTAG, that's 5 years between e-tickets, so to get another e-ticket 2 years after NTAG is winning.

I'm all for new attractions and I say SFOT makes pretty well rounded choices for what they install, but my wish is never for a ride to leave when a new one comes in. I know that's not reasonable, however, if sacrifices must be made, rides of the most similar style should be rid of. Case in point is Parachutes for a star flyer is a tough one for me when St Louis took out their yo-yo for theirs. The yo-yo at SFOT is the only flat ride I'd actually like to see leave. It's a pretty crummy ride there. Indiana Beach and Valleyfair! know how to run a yo-yo, I'm not hating on them for installing new rides, and I've been preaching the idea of a Star Flyer there for a couple years now. Nobody likes to see a beloved ride, especially a landmark, leave a park. Of course some will be saddened even if there are good things to come. I'm not so sure the chutes were at the end of their life as much as simply inoperable too often with wind. Not to mention a ride op for every 4 riders doesn't look good on a budget I'm sure.

If SFStL puts new, OTSR-less trains on Flashback, they could have a winner on their hands.

I went back to Prater right at the end of my trip and tried out the Boomerang again, this time making sure I had contact with the butterfly bars on the way up the backward lift. Oddly, they weren't uncomfortable against my ribs at all, even with all my weight resting on them. They just LOOK painful, lol.

I've never had so much fun on a boomerang.

^ As much as I would like to see those on Flashback, I don't think it will happen as that design just screams "Never in America". If we are lucky we might see new trains from Premier or KumbaK in its new home.

Kind of bummed out to see them go (since both were a big part of my childhood), but I think that the excitement of a "new coaster" or any type of attraction still makes me feel like the pros outweigh the cons. Honestly, I haven't cared to ride the Texas Chute Out in over five years due to the horrible capacity and lines for a thirty second ride. While it is an icon for SFOT's skyline and history, we all knew that it was going to meet its match someday, and that happened to be this year. As for the Flashback, I've never been a fan of this one considering that it seems to be a lot rougher than other boomerangs in my opinion.

Though, if they end up demolishing the old shopping center near Gotham City and the old bumper car building, then that would leave a HUGE chunk of land for almost anything! (As I outlined)

Untitled.png.471a1a4b22e4c56abab5a81b455440d7.png

^yeah, you'd think... but La Vibora is one of those coasters that nearly everyone in the family can ride. It's fun enough for the big kids but tame enough for the little kids. The only time I ever ride it is during ERT because the lines are always so long otherwise.

If they ever do remove it, I'd love to see them replace it with a higher capacity bobsled from Mack ala La Trace du Hourra (need more room, though) or Heide Park's Schweizer Bobbahn.

Even better... a custom job with the epic length of La Trace and the intensity of Schweizer!

Ok, I'm dreaming now, I know, but still.

As long as I dreaming about extreme bobsleds, how about dropping one off the cliff where Rattler used to be?

Whoa!!! I can get Google Maps directions to the public bathroom at Six Flags over Texas! This is better than any 2013 announcement!

If they are adding a coaster in the area coastercrutchfield outlined, they should've spared Texas Chute-Out as it is a classic and is very rare. With Flashback, I don't care if it goes to the scrapyard, the world is better with one less boomerang.

^^ Nobody better touch my beloved bobsleds! They are far too popular at that park anyhow. I can't see them getting rid of them. The bobsleds are as much a part of SFOT as the Log Ride, Mine Train, Shock Wave or the Oil Derrick in my mind. Some things you just cant mess with. Plus they have a single rider line and I make good use of it. haha

Very sad to see the Chute Out go.

we never had to wait in line for it, and it brings back fond memories every time we pass it when we go between Dallas/Ft. Worth

gonna miss it.

Heck, I loved the Planes (the other tower ride) SFoT took out years ago to replace with the Superman Tower. That one also never had a line, because it appeared so lame.. but when you were on them? WOW.

^^ Nobody better touch my beloved bobsleds! They are far too popular at that park anyhow. I can't see them getting rid of them. The bobsleds are as much a part of SFOT as the Log Ride, Mine Train, Shock Wave or the Oil Derrick in my mind. Some things you just cant mess with. Plus they have a single rider line and I make good use of it. haha

--but where would they install their X-Flight coaster clone in a few years?

In all seriousness, I will miss the Texas Chute Out, I first rode it in 1978, it was so cool being able to stand up in the baskets back then. I rode with my Auntie Lynn and my cousin Chad, who was about 6 at the time. When we started our decent, his knees buckled, and he squealed with delight and a bit of terror. I was able to take what is now my final ride last August. If they do indeed replace it with the ridiculously tall Star Flyer, that will be a good comparable ride. Though in all honesty, Star Flyers scare the absolute hell out of me, but I still ride them. I think its because you're up in the air supported by those very fragile looking chains, thought I know they are safe. I think the most obviously appropriate name of it will be the "Texas Star Flyer". Otherwise, they loose an attraction with "Texas" in it's name, giggle.

As for Flashback, I *really* hope their not going to send it to my "home" Six Flags, SFSL. We already have a boomerang in Missouri and I don't think we need another on the other side of the state.