TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Great report! I have this somewhat irrational fear of backwards coasters but I think I would give it a try!

Oh... for those of you who were as curious as me, I found a decent video of Vanilla Ice from the opening. He actually doesn't sound or look horrible for a faded 90s star!

Oh man now I'm kinda glad I didn't stay for the concert.

My buddy had tickets for a meet and greet with him but....eh.....you know...I can't really explain it but kinda didn't want too. We offloaded them on some gp in the middle of the park. Who was recording the second ride out with the Iphone? I know it was a TPR'r geek I SEEN YOU.

I must admit, I did NOT expect Vanilla Ice of all people to ever appear at a Six Flags coaster opening! Now if only they could get AHNOLD to appear at the opening for the one in St. Louis, that would be awesome wouldn't it?

Surprised that Steve Martindale wasn't in his usual cowboy hat for the ribbon... err, ice cutting. He seems to be a genuinely nice guy. He's kinda like the Pat Koch of SFOT, I haven't had a visit there in ages that I didn't see him out in the park talking to people and welcoming them and such.

I have ridden a few backwards coasters and DONT see the big deal. It ALREADY was a backwards coaster the 2nd half of the ride. Well I understand they didnt have anything new this season so they just turned the trains backwards and REVERSED the initial launch but OK.

Hey, Fire, long time no see... anyway, if you have fond memories of Greezed Lightnin's final spike, then the reversal of the trains on Freeze is sorta a big deal.

Not big enough to make a special trip out there, but certainly big enough to give it a re-ride or three if you're at the park anyway.

While you don't get GL's delicious weightless feeling on the spike, you DO get a mind-altering backward trip up the spike that (due to the extra boost) feels like gravity has been reversed and "OMFG, we should've gone back down by now", plus a wicked 200ft vertical drop with just lap bars.

So, yeah. Big difference.

Just in case any of you may want to see the entire Vanilla Ice concert. Here's what I shot on my camera.

The bass was so loud it overwhelmed the mic in my camera. Plenty of footage of the hot chicks and that scary clown.

I noticed the park just started daily operation this week. Schools are still in session until June around DFW. Im thinking of going on Monday or Tuesday but I am worried there will be a LOT of school groups. I just can't imagine six flags operating the park daily with schools in session unless there are a lot of field trips booked. The park has to be making money some how right? Anyone have any insight into crowds during the week right now and think it is worth going now or waiting till Fall? (No way I am going in the summer heat!) Thanks!

Just in case any of you may want to see the entire Vanilla Ice concert. Here's what I shot on my camera.

The bass was so loud it overwhelmed the mic in my camera. Plenty of footage of the hot chicks and that scary clown.

Maybe having Vanilla Ice perform is a hint that Freeze running backwards will be short lived- like Vanilla Ice's career.

I noticed the park just started daily operation this week. Schools are still in session until June around DFW. Im thinking of going on Monday or Tuesday but I am worried there will be a LOT of school groups. I just can't imagine six flags operating the park daily with schools in session unless there are a lot of field trips booked. The park has to be making money some how right? Anyone have any insight into crowds during the week right now and think it is worth going now or waiting till Fall? (No way I am going in the summer heat!) Thanks!

Dead in the morning, picks up a lil after lunch. Nothing crazy though.

I will be visiting SFOT on Sunday July 15. I know it will be busy, but can anyone give me some idea of how long the rides will be? I am thinking of getting the Fast Pass gold, and that should allow me to get on all the rides. I've never been to Dallas area, so I would love some info about what to do with my time. I will be arriving Thursday, and driving to Wichita Falls to see my friend in the Air Force. The plan is Friday drive down to Dallas, stay at the W in Dallas, the first night, and the Sheraton in Arlington the second night. I work with Starwood, so I get a huge discount on those hotels, so I prefer to stay in the area to do stuff both nights. (I got the W for $89 a night and the Sheraton for $69) Sunday I want to visit SFOT, drive my friend to leave for Wichita Falls around 6ish and then I am driving back down to Dallas that night. Please give me some info about other stuff to do in Dallas for the free day, dining spots I should not miss, or any other helpful info. Sorry if this is veering of the main topic, but I can start a new thread, or a PM would be fine if its a problem.

Thanks,

Eric

One thing to know is that flash pass won't get you on all the coasters, but you'll be able to knock out quite a few. If you want to whore the kiddie coaster, you'll need to bribe a kid. NTAG was Platt only last season and honestly I haven't checked into it this season. Single rider lines are available on Pandemonium and La Vibora, use them.

If you are looking for other things to do, SpeedZone is about 35 miles away and good for an evening. There is also a Hard Rock and House of Blues Downtown. Downtown Fort Worth has several night clubs/dining options. The Stockyards also seems to be popular. You might check with the fairgrounds but I believe they are starting some sort of summer attraction.

Downtown Mckinney, Tx is also nice for a few hours with several dining options, Plano, Grapevine, Allen, and the Galleria Mall are nice choices too. BBQ wise I prefer Sonny Bryans or Bone Daddy's although there are several places around equally as good.

Hi Everyone!

So I made my Birthday trip down to SFOT today, and I've got some reporting to do...

Mr. Freeze is actually much different than is seen in any of the videos, particularly on the return to the station. Although the launch is thrilling facing backwards, the punch of this experience is that face-first plummet down the tower, which was nearly impossible to truly experience before. The reversed cars also offer a unique view of the park. I also love the new wraps theyve put on the trains...they really take the cold factor to another level. There are some pretty "Klassy" snowflake spotlights in the station that have been added as well...

NTG is running pretty well in it's second season, however, SFOT now has a new sponsor. Has anyone heard of these "Takis" chips that are "so intense"? There are banners all over the tower section of the park as well as NTG. They've also replaced the license plates on the trains with the Takis logo. To be honest, I'm kind of hacked at this...it was one thing to have two of the older coasters (Shockwave and Flashback) sport train wraps last season in support of sponsors (which, coincidentally, are gone), but NTG is still new, and I missed my "Yee Haw and SXFLGS" plates today = ( .

My third ride today was Titan, whose crew was nothing if not expedient. Titan, according to guests I overheard, never experienced a wait time of more than 15 minutes today. The Coaster is running great!

Also, Hurricane Harbor is modifying their Kamikaze Slides and adding the Proslide Drop Chambers...Construction workers were onsite today.

This might have been answered already somewhere in this thread and if so I apoligize, but I am heading out to sfot a week from monday by myself and was wondering if any of the coasters there have a single rider line I could take advantage of? Also, what could I usually expect in terms of crowd sizes in general.

x2isawesome, I just visted the park Monday by myself. Check out my trip report. The only two rides I saw with a single riders line were Superman and La Vibora. The signage is poor so you have to look hard. Find the flashpass entrance and you should see single rider signage as well. Pandemonium might have a single rider line. They didn't have staffing for the loading/grouping position when I went so no one could have monitored the line if it was there. On a side note the log flume (El Asceadora sp?) does not allow single riders. I was grouped with some annoyed teenagers.

The crowds should be lite to moderate. Expect a lot of school groups. I typically waited 15min for every ride but a few had 30+min waits. Mine Trains, Judge Roy Scream, Shockwave and most flats were walk ons. Most rides had 1 or 2 train operations making for slightly longer lines.

The slowest moving lines and longest waits were for Runaway Mountain, Pandemonium, Mr. Freeze, Batman and New Texas Giant. Titans line can look long but usually moves quickly. New Texas Giant's line moves quick too but still gets long lines, I saw a near full que early afternoon Monday.

^I was shocked by the policy and didn't see anything on the signs (not suprised). I wondered if the employee just didn't know what to do. It wasn't like I would not make it through the course or slow the line down. In fact I think we stalled the line longer by them figuring out what to do with me instead of just letting me ride alone.