TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

I wouldn't bat an eye if they removed Flashback. Just about every park has one so it wouldn't exactly be missed, especially since SFoT's has terrible trains. If they got new trains I would counter that with all the ways the money could have been better spent (getting Adventure Theater open again after sitting dormant for 2 years).

I know you were exaggerating, but even CGA doesn't have one. I'm actually looking forward to riding my first Boomerang.

Just sayin'...

I wouldn't bat an eye if they removed Flashback. Just about every park has one so it wouldn't exactly be missed, especially since SFoT's has terrible trains. If they got new trains I would counter that with all the ways the money could have been better spent (getting Adventure Theater open again after sitting dormant for 2 years).

I know you were exaggerating, but even CGA doesn't have one. I'm actually looking forward to riding my first Boomerang.

Just sayin'...

CGA had Invertigo. Since Invertigo is similar to the Boomerang, it kind of counts.

I don't think so. Just check out the front car. The two cool dudes in the front are crouched over forward. During the launch, their bodies would be forced forward so that innocent crouch turns uncomfortable and/or painful. Even if they sit back, when they launch they'll be flung forward to that position whether they like it or not.

I don't know about you all, but I am incredibly skinny, like a human stick. Yet, I sit down on Great Bear, pull down the harness, and instantly I cannot move my upper body very far forward (I can still move my head forward easily). The harnesses make sure that I'm restrained to that upright position, much like those two creepy guys in the second row.

.65G and you don't even touch them? Alright then, disregard all my blathering!

Well maybe I was exaggerating a little bit, all I know is that you are not pressed into them at all. Based on S:EFK and knowing the acceleration of Speed and Flight of Fear (I assume they're similar to Mr. Freeze), I'd say that the restraints they have are substantial enough to handle launching backwards.

^I am not sure about the facts of Mr. Freeze, but I tried to base a hypothesis off of something mildly similar.

I don't think so. Just check out the front car. The two cool dudes in the front are crouched over forward. During the launch, their bodies would be forced forward so that innocent crouch turns uncomfortable and/or painful. Even if they sit back, when they launch they'll be flung forward to that position whether they like it or not.

What's a roller coaster without a little discomfort?

I actually chose that photo because of the position of the guys in the front row. If the train were to launch and catch people off-guard, you can see that this is as far as their upper bodies would go forward. Their faces wouldn't slam into the bars in front of them (which is what I assumed some people were picturing).

Calculated it.

NERD ALERT!

• 70mph = 31.2928m/s.
  • Acceleration = Velocity divided by Time.
  • 31.2928m/s divided by 3.8s equals 8.2349m/s^2.
  • Gravitational acceleration is known to be 9.81m/s^2.
  • Divide your acceleration by 9.81 to get your acceleration in units of G.
  • 8.2349 divided by 9.81 equals .83944G, or .84G.

In the same way, I found that Superman Escape from Krypton launches with an acceleration of .65G (44.704m/s in 7s), and that Storm Runner launches at 1.64G (32.18688m/s in 2s).

Thanks, good news fairy. It really doesn't matter to me anyway, because I'll probably never ride Mr. Freeze forwards nor backwards.

I think lap bars would be fine for the backwards launch, but would they be any issue with now looking down the spike instead of upwards?

I guess though if the rumor mill has it that there's not going to be a change on the restraints then they may be okay.

Just think tho guys, when you brake, you get thrown into the lapbar and you brake while traveling backwards. So the question is now, how many g's does you body experience when you brake?

Knowing that should help explain to those that are curious on why OTSRs won't be needed for launch purposes. I'm not a mathematical genius so I can't run the numbers

**Edit - A.J. pounded at the numbers and came up with about 1.0G's of deceleration at the brakes so it would appear on paper that the launch with no over the shoulder boulder holders shouldn't be an issue**