TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Six Flags Over Texas (SFOT) Discussion Thread

Not to come across all gushy... but damn, this is one freaking great ride! We journeyed to the center of Hell to ride this reborn steelwoodie (yeah, I know it's really a steelie), challenging temperatures in the triple digits. Didn't matter how hot we were (sweaty, melting disgusting messes), it was worth it.

We managed 35-40 rides over the course of 3 days, spread among the various rows. Mostly we took it in the rear to the point it hurt to walk away that final day.

I'm nearing 200 coasters, mostly major installations, and the New Texas Giant easily makes my top 5. The air is El Toro-like, minus some speed and height. On the other hand the station is brilliantly themed, whimsical, fun touches abound (hey-hey, Wile E!), it has not one or two but three rave tunnels, and the air (I know I'm repeating myself) is outstanding. I'd guess it has more airtime moments than El Toro if you count them.

Congratulations to SFOT and to the people behind the Iron Horse track, and to Gerstlauer too for beautiful trains (ouch - hit my elbow on the reach guard again, minor quibble).

Special thanks to Chadster for showing us around on Father's Day, getting us on 7 new credits during an incredibly busy morning.

Not to come across all gushy... but damn, this is one freaking great ride! We journeyed to the center of Hell to ride this reborn steelwoodie (yeah, I know it's really a steelie), challenging temperatures in the triple digits. Didn't matter how hot we were (sweaty, melting disgusting messes), it was worth it.

We managed 35-40 rides over the course of 3 days, spread among the various rows. Mostly we took it in the rear to the point it hurt to walk away that final day.

I'm nearing 200 coasters, mostly major installations, and the New Texas Giant easily makes my top 5. The air is El Toro-like, minus some speed and height. On the other hand the station is brilliantly themed, whimsical, fun touches abound (hey-hey, Wile E!), it has not one or two but three rave tunnels, and the air (I know I'm repeating myself) is outstanding. I'd guess it has more airtime moments than El Toro if you count them.

Congratulations to SFOT and to the people behind the Iron Horse track, and to Gerstlauer too for beautiful trains (ouch - hit my elbow on the reach guard again, minor quibble).

Special thanks to Chadster for showing us around on Father's Day, getting us on 7 new credits during an incredibly busy morning.

Ooooooh mostly taking in the rear! I too completely enjoyed this ride when I was there for the New Texas Giant Bash. Yes, my thighs were sore after 2 days there and nearly 30 rides. I hope the rideops have eased up on the stapling.

Yeah, I went last Friday and there was no stapling or everything...my op every time just pulled up on the restraint.

The good news is the ride is running better and better with every visit...on Friday at 3pm my rides were just as good as the night time ERT rides during Texas Giant Bash. This is a very good sign! I really feel like I can justify this as my #1 steel...it does more than Bizarro at SFNE does and has more airtime.

Wow no stapling makes this ride even better. That's not unusual for a new ride to have aggressive rideops pay attention to lapbars. It's my #3 steel. I just loved every ride I had during the Bash. I hope my work takes me back to Dallas (which I don't normally like) so I can ride more.

almightyfire, I hear ya on the one-ride anticipointment.

When we went for media day, we were on one of the first trains out and my initial reaction was "too controlled" (I prefer out-of-control sensations), and "slow."

Brian, who rode beside me, felt much the same way. It's not that it was a bad ride, it just didn't do much for me. I wanted it to be so much more.

After several rides in different parts of the train and allowing myself to forget what I expected from the ride and just appreciate it for what it is, it grew on me. It also didn't hurt that the trains warmed up and got faster and the airtime went from "ok" to "OMFG". By the time I left for home I had around 30 rides on it and it was a serious contender for my #1 steel coaster.

As for El Toro, I finally got to ride it this week. I really prefer it when my favorite ride is not the same as nearly everyone else's favorite ride, but there was no denying that ET has the goods. Three rides clenched the #1 spot for me, no question.

I'll echo the rest of the group and suggest that you give it another chance, preferably when there's an ERT event that will let you ride it a lot, especially in the evening.

Come now, this ride is a failure and everone knows it. I live in the Dallas area and have a season pass to SFOT, I usually take a few rides on NTAG each week. I can attest that SFOT has wasted 10 million dollars on this horrible ride. Allmightyfire is right, I don't see how any self respecting enthusiast could put NTAG anywhere near their top ten.

Instead of wasting money on this pile of crap, SFOT should have torn it down completely and used the land for an Intamin woodie instead. I understand the ACEers rode NTAG last week, no doubt their sentiments will echo my own.

"Iron Horse" my ass! Rocky Mountain Construction should be ashamed of themselves for this pile of garbage they've created and the amount of money they've wasted! They won't be getting any more business after this disaster! If you're going to spend millions on anything, give it to Intamin and bring a real coaster into this park.

Edited by Sportsdude360

Come now, this ride is a failure and everone knows it. I live in the Dallas area and have a season pass to SFOT, I usually take a few rides on NTAG each week. I can attest that SFOT has wasted 10 million dollars on this horrible ride. Allmightyfire is right, I don't see how any self respecting enthusiast could put NTAG anywhere near their top ten.

Your first mistake was "self respecting enthusiast".

Instead of wasting money on this pile of crap, SFOT should have torn it down completely and used the land for an Intamin woodie instead. I understand the ACEers rode NTAG last week, no doubt their semtiments will echo my own.

Second mistake is thinking that another group of enthusiasts will have the exact same opinion as you. The current overwhelming response seems to be the ride is fantastic, and I would be extremely surprised if they didn't love the ride as the seeming majority has.

"Iron Horse" my A$$! Rocky Mountain Construction should be ashamed of themselves for this pile of garbage they've created and the amount of money they've wasted! They won't be getting any more business after this disaster! If you're going to spend millions on anything, give it to Intamin and bring a real coaster into this park.

So, is this negativity your true feelings, or is this quote:

Personally, I wouldn't mind if NTAG were the only coaster to ever recieve this treatment. Right now there's a certain feeling of being special and unique with regards to NTAG. That alone is enough to attract scores of coaster enthusiasts who want a chance to ride the only "Iron Horse" coaster in existance.

I love that feeling that there's no other coaster in the world quite like NTAG. But if other coasters started getting this treament then NTAG would be just another face in the crowd- NO THANKS! I say keep NTAG unique and special!

But, of course, they probably won't. Other coasters will undoubtedly get the "Iron Horse" upgrade in the years ahead. If they turn out anywhere near as good as NTAG park owners will go crazy for this new type of track. As a result, NTAG will likely be forgotten.

How you feel?

Because honestly you're bashing something the majority of folks seem to enjoy - including, it seemed, yourself.

I'm a little disgusted.

Your first mistake was "self respecting enthusiast".

Instead of wasting money on this pile of crap, SFOT should have torn it down completely and used the land for an Intamin woodie instead. I understand the ACEers rode NTAG last week, no doubt their semtiments will echo my own.

Second mistake is thinking that another group of enthusiasts will have the exact same opinion as you. The current overwhelming response seems to be the ride is fantastic, and I would be extremely surprised if they didn't love the ride as the seeming majority has.

"Iron Horse" my A$$! Rocky Mountain Construction should be ashamed of themselves for this pile of garbage they've created and the amount of money they've wasted! They won't be getting any more business after this disaster! If you're going to spend millions on anything, give it to Intamin and bring a real coaster into this park.

So, is this negativity your true feelings, or is this quote:

Personally, I wouldn't mind if NTAG were the only coaster to ever recieve this treatment. Right now there's a certain feeling of being special and unique with regards to NTAG. That alone is enough to attract scores of coaster enthusiasts who want a chance to ride the only "Iron Horse" coaster in existance.

I love that feeling that there's no other coaster in the world quite like NTAG. But if other coasters started getting this treament then NTAG would be just another face in the crowd- NO THANKS! I say keep NTAG unique and special!

But, of course, they probably won't. Other coasters will undoubtedly get the "Iron Horse" upgrade in the years ahead. If they turn out anywhere near as good as NTAG park owners will go crazy for this new type of track. As a result, NTAG will likely be forgotten.

How you feel?

Because honestly you're bashing something the majority of folks seem to enjoy - including, it seemed, yourself.

I'm a little disgusted.

Apparently, you fail to recognize sarcasm when you read it. Nice try though.

Instead of wasting money on this pile of crap, SFOT should have torn it down completely and used the land for an Intamin woodie instead. I understand the ACEers rode NTAG last week, no doubt their sentiments will echo my own.

Dude! I take no one, and nothing seriously, including my self. I know sarcasm, and this came across as nothing like it!

Guy "See, that's sarcasm!" Koepp

Edit!

Damn you Adam and your logical levelheadedness. Don't you have a cool refreshing coke to drink, or a test to study for?

Dude! I take no one, and nothing seriously, including my self. I know sarcasm, and this came across as nothing like it!

Guy "See, that's sarcasm!" Koepp

Edit!

Damn you Adam and your logical levelheadedness. Don't you have a cool refreshing coke to drink, or a test to study for?

Sorry, it was intended as an angry response to almightyfire's so called review of NTAG.

Sorry, it was intended as an angry response to almightyfire's so called review of NTAG.

While you may not agree, he is entitled to his opinion. Let's not start a flame war here, please.

Both!

I dont understand why anyone is mad because someone has a different opinion. All I said is that it DID NOT excite me the first time like EL TORO did OR THE VOYAGE. I dont care who likes it or dislikes it, I didn't see the big deal. It ISNT a BAD ride but I didn't see where it was all of that. I am sorry if you all took something so personal as someone NOT necessarily finding a coaster not all of that.

I stick to my opinion, It was just OK to me and it DOESN'T pack the punch of El Toro or Voyage. El Toro YANKED me over the first drop like a 2 ton boulder being dropped from a 50 story building, The TG didnt do that and I was in the back seat.

Sorry but that is STILL my opinion. I didnt say it was BAD, just not all off that. Further more I am almost 50 yrs old and I am not going to change my opinion or silence it. None of us on here built any of these coasters nor our parents so I dont take it to heart of ANY of you disagree with me.

TOO OLD FOR THAT SORRY

Final warning. DROP IT!

You have your opinion, he has his. End of story.

We are happy to have friendly discussion on TPR, but flame wars don't belong here. Thank you for your understanding!

Edited by jedimaster1227

While you may not agree, he is entitled to his opinion. Let's not start a flame war here, please.

Just an FYI: almightyfire is a woman.

And having met her, I'm not surprised that she wasn't impressed much with NTG... I'm actually more surprised that she likes El Toro as much as she does! AMF likes her coasters on the rough side and El Toro doesn't deliver that sort of ride. It does, however, give an out-of-control feeling -- something that is also a bit lacking in the ultra-engineered NTG ride experience. So while I disagree with her "meh" review, I'm not surprised by it... but I still think that a couple more rides on it after it has warmed up might change her mind a little; at least about the lack of a "yank" on the first drop!

Ride on, Fire!

The only problem I see with the "Iron Horse" treatment is that if it becomes popular, classically built wooden coaster numbers could decrease due to people wanting a smoother, more exiting ride(I am excluding pre-fab in that list as it is already pretty smooth.)

• 2 weeks later...

So I was watching the news tonight, as well as I checked the online news for my local DFW area station WFAA, and I noticed that the HEADLINE news was the fact that the New Texas Giant had to be shut down at the top of the lift. Now to me, I find it odd that this is the latest, greatest, breaking news, but even more so, dramatic. Honestly, according to the news and the article

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/Texas-Giant-coaster-gets-stuck-at-Six-Flags-125302468.html

The people were stuck on the hill for about twenty minutes in the Texas heat. Now, as a North Texas native, I understand the July heat this year is brutal, but twenty minutes up there, I would be excited! Great view, check out the track below me. Everyone is acting as though this was a tragic event! The park claims that there are no serious problems, that this was a safety precatution due to an odd noise (any speculation anyone), but other than that, I don't understand the newsworthyness of this. I was stuck on Shockwave TWICE when I was at SFOT for the New Texas Giant Bash ERT and I wasn't bothered.

Call me crazy, but I don't see, unless there REALLY is a problem with the ride, what the big deal was. Twice in three days, sounds like regular ride glitches.

Edited by robbalvey

They mentioned something in the report that they are removing the train involved in the "incident" today. It looks like it was the blue train from the photo they showed of the scene.

'

Yes, from the video, it showed the blue train. They weren't clear on what the problem was, other than an odd noise heard by the worker. I am curious as to what the issue is myself...

and yes, it is kind of nuts how dramatic news is nowadays.

I was at the park and I talked to the operators. They told me that there was something wrong with the wheels the second and third cars. The ride evaccuation, according to the ride operations supervisor and mechanic, was due to a computer glitch which was caused by something, she said a bird or something, that set off a sensor, causing the ride to shut down. I did get two rides in before it shut down. One in front and one in back. Having ridden El Toro and The Voyage, I can say that NTG is hands down the most amazing, ejector air ride I have ever ridden. It was absolutely incredible in the back seat.