TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Pleasure Island possibly changing as we know it

I found this on Mouseplanet today while reading the updates...

recent rumor that we've heard states that days are numbered for the entire lake side of Pleasure Island. Last week, we reported that "major enhancements" would be cause the end of the nightly fireworks at Pleasure Island and demolition of the West End Stage and Hub Stage. It turns out that there is more to the story.

The story, as we heard it, is that attendance has been down so badly at the Pleasure Island clubs that, even with extending Cast Member nights to five nights per week, they were still having trouble getting people into the clubs. Because of this, everything on the lake side of Pleasure Island will be demolished, and the area will be repopulated by contracted restaurants. Contracted restaurants have been the biggest money maker for Disney in the Downtown Disney area.

The rumor gives some time in early 2006 as the target date for the closure of the clubs and the beginning of the demolition. Should the rumor prove out, the only clubs to remain would be Mannequins, 8-Trax and the Comedy Warehouse. The rumor also states that another restaurant will be built at the far west end of Downtown Disney, between Cirque du Soleil and the Saratoga Springs Resort.

I really hope its just a wild rumor...I would really miss Adventurers Club. When I was an AP holder, I would always end my night there. I knew/know many of the cast.

Anyone heard anything more on this?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's kind of a bummer, but I honestly can't tell you the last time I was in any of the clubs there. The only thing I usually do there is the Comedy Warehouse, but then again, its probably because I don't want to go to the clubs and mingle with girls that aren't even out of high school yet alone drinking age. As for Mannequins, thats the only place you need to be 21 to get into.

That would be depressing.. I love the Adventurers club! At least they will spare the comedy club. I worked at Disney a few years ago when you had to pay to get into PI.. I went back there in August and I was really disillusioned when I saw what it has turned into now that you can just walk in.

My number one problem is that they force you to walk through PI.. so if families go down and want to go to the West End from the Marketplace they have to take their young kids thru the loud music and the crowds of drunks and hardly dressed girls or CM's in little skirts on stilts that you limbo between which I'm not complaining about, but I wouldnt want my young kids around all that. They had CM's there making sure people dont use the other walkways around PI. I dunno, it just feels like PI lost a lot of the Disney clean cut feel to it. Which isn't always a bad thing, but they should try to appeal more to where their money is, families, and not teens/20's like Universal.

So, I guess I saw something like this coming. But we'll see if it actually happens. I dont think its necessarily a bad thing, I just think the Adventurer's club should stay!

Eric

This doesn't surprise me. As frequent vistors as we are to Walt Disney World, I haven't been to Pleasure Island since 1989. And then it was just to go roller skating at XFER's , which doesn't even exist any more.

--Robb "It always seem to have struggled." Alvey

On the College Program (who apparently fund most of PI.. haha) we used to go all the time. I dont like clubs.. but the Comedy Club and the Adventurer's Club are definately worth checking out. Especially if you like Whose Line Is It Anyways?.. since these guys are better! IMO..

The Adventurer's club is fun to just go and hang out and be messed with by the actors.

PC220161.JPG.bba263536cd9a41e5d57b79479e15fdf.JPG

anyone recognize the guy in the middle?

I'm sad for the Adventure's Club. That was one of my favorite clubs at PI. Then again, I'd only go really if it was free, which is was for cast members.

They would at least keep my favorites, 8-Trax and the Comedy Warehouse. I'm surprised that Motions isn't being kept, that was always popular.

Well, if its true, farewell. I won't really miss them, but the Adventure's Club. At least I can still get my DISCO ON!

I'm a PI annual pass holder, and I think it would really suck to lose the Adventurer's Club. Back in '99 and 2000 I hung out there all time time, and honestly met the majority of my close friends there. We'd have meets and everyone would meet in the Mask Room. I probably only have a handful of close friends I didn't first meet in the Mask room!

I love Adventurer's Club, but I admit that it gets old after you've been so much. There is no variation to the story...I know who's always gonna win the Balderdash, and what story they will tell to win with ("American cheese!!!" though my little group did manage to swing the vote one night and let Hathaway win! The Mask room always has the same routine, the Treasure Room always has the same show...it's just kinda old after so long. I think if it were less scripted (or not scripted at all, like Comedy Warehouse) it would make for a better show since it'd be different every time you went. I also rememebr taking friend there once, and they stood there for two or three minutes, exclaimed that nothing was going on and it was stupid, and they refused to stay any longer. Maybe that is part of the problem too...if something ins't going on the second you walk in, people think it's just a "sit around and talk" type place.

Now if they closed Comedy Warehouse, that would make me never want to go back, as that is one of my favorite places in all of Disney World!

-Julie

when we were on the boat between Port Orleans and DownTown Disney during our last visit in September the C.M (Captain) who was running the boat said to take a good look at DTD as Disney were going to be knocking a lot of it down next year. He said that they were going to be rebuilding it with new clubs and restraunts starting in 2006... I know CM's are famous for having a lot to say about rumours but he seemed certain and I believed him...

This doesn't bother me one bit. Pleasure Island is quite lame. A generic assortment of crappy nightclubs that are completely Disney-ized and anyone can get into? Ehh.... It's time to leave the nightlife business to downtown and Universal. They don't try to force family friendliness onto a concept that isn't meant to be family friendly. And they actually attract more than their own CM's. Although I do hope they have more in mind as a replacement than just a gaggle of restaurants and nothing else. I can only eat so much. And I'm also sort of hoping they focus on creating original themed restaurants of their own and they don't get their hands on anymore good chain restaurants that aren't already in Orlando. Because once something goes into DD, it can't be replicated anywhere else around town.

Yeah you're definately right. It's hard to appeal to the nightclub crowd and keeping it family friendly. They just dont go hand in hand for the most part. From my experience, even CityWalk has problems bringing people in.

They should definately try to do something unique with PI aside from restaurants.. but obviously food is where the money is when you have so many locals/tourists, many without cars to eat off property. They really need to add another Hoop-De-Doo quality dinner show.

It'd be nice to see them do something with some big time thrill rides or something down there that the teens can do while the parents shop. Maybe have Pay as you go rides.. like a MaxAir type ride and an Impulse Coaster. We all know Disney would go back to "ride tickets" in a heartbeat if they could.

Completley off topic.. but wouldn't it be cool if Disney did something with snowboarding/tubing over by Blizzard Beach?

Eric

I have been hearing this rumor for years, and I hope it is not true just for the simple fact that I work at both Comedy Warehouse and Ad Club as a musician. CW was my first job at Disney since 1999, and since there are so few live musician jobs left at Disney, it would be sad to see this one go.

^^ You guys don't really drink either.

You don't need to "drink" to go to their restaurants, dance clubs, shops, comedy club, etc. We actually go to a lot of places where people drink and sometimes we do, but most times we don't.

We go to Downtown Disney quite often, and there are plenty of places that sell alcohol also, we just have never really been attracted to any of the places inside PI. Regardless of if we were to purchase a drink or not.

--Robb

Folks seem to forget that there are a huge amount of rooms going up (and already up) across the lake. The fireworks need to go (for the children!!! ------- and their bedtimes).

So if PI -- the first 'adult' disney complex gets torn down, can we expect DCA the first 'adult theme park' to follow suit?

Been to the Adventurers club once -- found it intriguing, but ultimately flaccid in concept and devoid of bankable entertainment value.

I wonder how big the effect of losing the fireworks would be on DTD.. probably very minimal.. I dont have any pity on the Saratoga Springs people if they are disturbed by the nightly fireworks! Anyone who spends all that money and doesnt research at all what hotel suits their tastes best.. deserves to be disturbed!

• 9 years later...

I know there are already plans to change Pleasure Island, but let me throw an idea out there...

How about turning this into a Guardians of The Galaxy themed area? Still somewhat targeted at older audiences, but full of little touches, like an Animatronic Groot walking around, with Rocket hanging out on his shoulder? If they did something like that, I'd revisit WDW in a second.