TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anyone on here like anime or manga?

iluvalbinos

I can't believe it took me a while to start watching Rosario Vampire. Yes it can be a little naughty at times (or a lot), but it's pretty dang funny.

I'm also watching Green Green, which I'll hopefully finish soon, and I just got done watching School Days. Thank the Lord I finished it so I don't have to watch it ever again. Some of these animes are just *so* wrong. I thought Elfen Lied was pretty tough to watch at times (and it is, oh it is), but I at least really enjoyed it. School Days was just so... so... Eeep.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

Bringing this back from the dead, y'all! This poor thread hasn't had any love for over a year now.

I tend to gravitate towards the more comedic/slice-of-life shows, with some action and drama thrown into the mix. Unfortunately, this means I watch a lot of "high school girl" shows, which can make for a pretty weird first impression of me to the non-anime watcher/manga reader. Kinda sucks, but they make me laugh, so I'm gonna keep watching and reading them.

Series I've watched/am watching:

Keroro Gunso

Nichijou (an underrated masterpiece)

Elfen Lied

FLCL

Ouran High School Host Club

Yuru Yuri

Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou

Kill la Kill (my favorite series from this past year so far)

Gin no Saji

Azumanga Daioh

K-ON!

K-ON!! Season 2

Hidamari Sketch

Hidamari Sketch x 365

Hidamari Sketch x Hoshimittsu

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb

Maho Shoujo Madoka Magica

Shinryaku! Ika Musume

Aku no Hana (another underrated masterpiece)

Soul Eater

Manga I've read/am reading:

Azumanga Daioh

Keroro Gunso

K-ON!

K-ON! College

K-ON! High School

Yotsuba&!

Hidamari Sketch

Fruits Basket

I'm also planning on reading the manga adaptation of Kill la Kill if and when it gets translated, and I'll probably start reading Nichijou once I'm more comfortable with reading in Japanese. God, this post makes me sound ridiculous. I'm not nearly this otaku offline, I swear.

^ Dude, I cannot agree more about Nichijou and Aku no Hana. Nichijou is one of the funniest series I've ever seen, and extremely heartfelt. Aku no Hana is just a friggin' head trip. I saw the first episode without knowing anything about it beforehand. I decided to go check out the manga... I ended up staying up the whole night reading all the available chapters. The animated version did a beautiful job capturing the atmosphere. That scene in the classroom where Kasuga finally cracks? MY GOD. Tears everywhere.

From your list, Ive also seen (and enjoyed) Elfen Lied, Gin no Saji, and Kill la Kill. Kill la Kill is exceeding my expectations so far. It's so frenetic and insane and I love it.

And don't worry about geeking out; sometimes you just gotta express it, haha.

^Elfen Lied was almost too much for me to take in when I first watched it. I watched all 13 episodes over two days, which was probably a big mistake on my part. Of all of the series I've watched so far, I think it's probably my least favorite (next to Yuru Yuri, which has its moments but is overall pretty bland), but it's still good for what it is.

Also, the classroom scene in Aku no Hana was a total game changer for me. It's gonna take a LOT of effort for another series to capture something so tragically beautiful, in my opinion. That song, man. That song...

Also also! I forgot to add Kiniro Mosaic to my list of anime I've watched. It's yet another high-school-girl show, but it's actually pretty funny. It also has the most Engrish of any series I've ever watched ever, mostly because two of the main characters are transfer students from England. It's surprisingly well-done Engrish, though. Worth watching if you're into comedic, cutesy stuff.

Used to watch massive amounts of anime (50+ series) and read some mangas as well until a few years ago. At that point I got completely hooked on J-dramas instead, and I absolutely love it. Don't really watch any normal TV any more

Some of my favourite anime series include:

GITS

Bakemonogatari

Lucky Star

NHK ni Youkoso!

Suzumiya Haruhi no yūutsu

And I'm also a big fan of the Miyazaki films as well as most of the stuff that Production IG creates, also the films that Shinkai Makoto produces are completely works of art and some of the most beautiful animations I have ever seen.

But as I said above, I have completely turned over to J-drama instead a love that started with the epic series Densha Otoko

It's gone so far that I almost have seen 100 different series so far, and it keeps getting better and better as I watch more of them.

• 2 weeks later...

A few nights ago, I watched Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Bokutachi wa Mada Shiranai, a.k.a. Anohana, in its entirety. A mouthful of a title, I know, but you know what they say: don't judge a series by its title! Without a doubt, one of the most emotional shows I've ever watched. The last episode literally had me bawling my eyes out at five in the morning. It was the best "tears of happiness" moment I've had since I saw Toy Story 3 with my parents the year I left for college.

I definitely recommend it to anyone who likes sentimental, emotional dramas with a happy ending.

I've been wondering where a thread like this was, glad to see someone dig it up!

I don't read Manga, not yet anyways...

I do watch a bit of Anime, so far I've watched:

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Deathnote

Code Geass (still need to watch movies)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (including 1.11, 2.22, and 3.33)

Hunter x Hunter

Dragon Ball (as well as Z and GT)

Bleach

Gurren Lagann

Attack on Titan

Majestic Prince

Makai Ouji - Devil and Realist

Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East

Puella Magi Madoka Magica (not the movies yet)

Full Metal Alchemist

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing

Gargantia on the Verdous Planet

Toward the Terra

Sword Art Online

Blue Exorcist

07 Ghost

Demon King Daimao

Arata the Legend

Some of those shows are still on-going, but I'm up to date on almost all of them with the exception of Bleach which I am woefully behind (I stopped watching consistently after the filler arc following Aizen's defeat).

Current season shows:

Yozakura Quartet

Arpeggio of Blue Steel

Gundam Build Fighters

Blaz Blue

Beyond the Boundary

Kill la Kill

Nagi no Asukara

Valvrave the Liberator

Strike the Blood

Log Horizon

This season my favorite shows (in order) are Kill la Kill, Yozakura Quartet, and Log Horizon. My top 5 are Eva, Deathnote (season 1 only), Hakkenden, Gargantia, and Toward the Terra. If Kill la Kill keeps it up though it'll crack my top 5 by the time its done!

I'm considering picking up the manga for 07 Ghost as I want to see what else happens in that story, but I'm not sure if I have it in me right now to start up manga.

This might not be nearly as important to anyone else on the forum as it is to me, but Keroro Gunso (Sgt. Frog) is getting revitalized as a new anime next year!

It looks like it's going to be animated much closer in style to the manga, rather than the newer designs used in later episodes of the original anime. Also, all of the original voice actors are returning as the main cast as well, which is an added bonus! The only thing I'm kind of nervous about is that it's going to be animated using Flash rather than traditional animation, but I think it'll be fine. Besides, that means reduced paper waste AND a great show!

Here's a link to the official (Japanese) announcement:

http://www.sunrise-inc.co.jp/krr/

• 1 month later...

I don't know if anyone on the boards has been keeping up with Kill la Kill, but I'm so pumped for the rest of the series. The past three or four episodes have made my heart skip several beats, my jaw drop to the floor more than once, and I've gasped out of surprise more times than I have fingers and toes. This show is so damn good.

• 1 month later...
I don't know if anyone on the boards has been keeping up with Kill la Kill, but I'm so pumped for the rest of the series. The past three or four episodes have made my heart skip several beats, my jaw drop to the floor more than once, and I've gasped out of surprise more times than I have fingers and toes. This show is so damn good.

Yes, just watched the season finale! That felt just about perfect for the ending of the show.

I keep forgetting this thread exists only to come back to it months later

• 7 years later...