TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Anyone on here like anime or manga?

iluvalbinos

I hope it was subbed. When it comes to anime I usually watch them dubbed, but Ocean Group is probably the worst dubbing company I've ever heard. Do an A/B sub vs. dub test with Wing, Zeta, or 08th MS Team and the differance is like night and day. They're also responsable for translating Crest Of The Stars/Banner Of The Stars, which the dub is so unwatchable in English it's been widely considered one of the the worst dub jobs ever done, yet in reality it's quite excellent in its original form. Rant over.

Oh yes, I watched all of Wing subbed, same for Zeta. I subscribed to Crunchyroll, mainly so I could watch all of Zeta, and they had it subbed. When I found that they only had a dubbed version of 00, however, I immediately found that one on another site. Only subbed will do for me.

I like Evangelion quite a bit too, though it's a little avant garde for my taste.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to own Fist of the Northstar...though I don't know what happened to it. That movie was awesome! Also, back in high school, a friend told me I simply HAD to watch the most amazing movie called Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend. So, one day I was in a Tower Records, and saw the video. Of course, my naive a$$ bought it, took it home, and popped it into the VCR. Well, that was an interesting experience. I was permanently scarred by the naughty tentacles. I threw it in a drawer and never watched it again. Years later, while I was away at college, my father happened upon it. He told me that he curiously put it in the VCR, was horrified, and promptly threw it in the trash. I laughed so hard as I imagined him watching that demented movie. He wasn't nearly as amused as I was.

-Doug "And thus, I discovered the horrors of hentai" Heim

Oh boy, this is where my dirty little secret comes out. Let's see if I can do this...

Tenchi Muyo, Tenchi Muyo GXP, Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari, Dual Parallel Trouble Adventure, Elfen Lied, School Days, Fullmetal Alchemist, Highschool of the Dead, and Demon King Dimao so far. I'm always looking for more!

(Man I feel dirty. )

Definitely a big anime fan.

I founded The Anime Club at the University of Texas at Austin way back in 1987. It's still operating from what I last heard.

Some of my favorites are:

Original Macross Series

Macross Movie

Anything Rumiko Takahashi (Masison Ikkoku, Ranma, Urusei Yatsura)

Anything Miyazaki

Robot Carnival

Akira

Mani Mani

Dirt Pair

Full Metal Alchemist

Cowboy Bebop

Paranoid Agent

Evangelion

Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend
Ok not one of my favorites but do recall screening it at the Anime club for our Halloween event with extreme warnings on our flyers. We actually had a pretty large crowd. Before the screening I told the audience that the following movie contains scenes of graphic sex and violence and to not watch if you are offended. The crowd cheered when I made that statement.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I only started getting into anime during my college days (aka right now). It had something to do with realizing that a lot of anime have complex themes and deeply emotional storylines that you just don't see in American cartoons because they are mainly directed towards children (then there are cartoons like the Legend of Korra, but that is another discussion for another topic). It's not just all the stereotypes many people normally associate with anime that make them call it "weird" or "childish." Yes, there are some completely ridiculous/weird/inappropriate anime out there, but that isn't the entire make up of the style. Anyway, enough of my philosophy.

Among my favorites are:

Cowboy Bebop

Dragonball Z (this was a classic from the Toonami days of my childhood)

Elfen Lied

Guilty Crown

Samurai Champloo

Shiki

Spice and Wolf

Witchblade

Wolf's Rain

• 1 month later...
The only anime I care about is dragon ball z (wonder if they will ever make a new series that's good).

I find all other anime weird

Haha, anime IS weird, to many people of Western culture at least. Especially where humor is concerned. It's part of the Japanese culture, and some people get it, some don't.

^ Hell yeah, haha. Seeing DBZ on Toonami was like the gateway into anime for me. If I were to list out the highlights of my childhood, it would be somewhere in the top.

^^ Holy crap that's a lot dude, lol. Gurren Lagann is on my "to watch" list. Sadly, however, I learned about it through this video (I was in that weird part of youtube):

Then I searched it up on Anime News Network, and with great joy learned that this video is certainly no basis for judging it.

I have been known to enjoy an episode or two of anime here and there.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/Kenny_Blankenship/DSC_0099.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/Kenny_Blankenship/DSC_0100.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/Kenny_Blankenship/DSC_0101.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v410/Kenny_Blankenship/DSC_0102.jpg

My first anime that got me hooked was Ghost in the Shell many years ago. It is probably my favorite series. I have seen a bunch, as you can clearly see in the above pictures. I really enjoyed Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood and Baccano!(sp?). Haven't had much time lately for my addiction. I did see the first season of Heaven's Lost Property and rather liked that. Was bummed when they decided to not release the second season on Blu Ray. Oh well.

• 3 months later...