TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silverwood Discussion Thread

And here is the final set of permits (I'm guessing), this on is for the station.

425911023_Screenshot(9).thumb.png.ea5c2cbb132c4ce2995735e532c6a0e4.png

412702128_Screenshot(10).thumb.png.754c1d40e18112af6c23adc4dc6b5b5b.png

From the looks of these plans, I'm happy that is looks like they are going to build a real station! I definitely think this is the right way to go, even though it looks a little like a metal shed, I think they could make it work with the theme. I find it interesting that the drawing in the second picture look to be the same/similar as the ones for the entrance shed that I posted above. Don't know what that means but hope it doesn't cause a snag with the building department. No real clues that I can see as to if it will have the moving loading station or a standard one, probably just have to wait and see on that. Also no indication on if it will have bins or not... probably another wait and see thing. I can't think of any other permits they need, so this is probably the last one for awhile.

I other news the park also posted their calendar for 2021 and their are no real surprises here. Opening day is May 1st, although they are closed on June 8 and 9 (Tuesday and Wednesday I think) for some reason. I can't remember if they did that last year, but could this be a clue for Stunt Pilot's planned opening?

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry, meant to post this sooner but...Stunt Pilot has officially gone vertical!!! I don't know if it got posted here, but the park took a field trip to RMC a few weeks ago and showed off the track and supports under construction. They said that some were headed for paint and they be making the journey up US 95 soon, and clearly some of them already have!

I think the red supports look better (judging from the photo) in reality than they did in the promo, should look pretty snazzy when its all done!

Some of the parks permits got approved for the electrical shed and retaining wall, so we should have more updates soon!

image.thumb.png.f365cf677ec762855d338c49d8c2bea4.png

image.thumb.png.35bd34d6456d79125bdd55a0742f4a91.png

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Another update is here! Trains are coming along, and track is on site!

The track looks pretty good, I think the color is fine. I just hope that it doesn't get to dirty or faded after a couple seasons in the north idaho "snow and sun" weather cycle.

The trains are more interesting, I think. I'm not familiar with Wonder Woman or Railblazer's trains unfortunately, but they seem to look pretty neat. I'm hoping that the fact that they don't already have vests on them, mean the vests aren't coming (Imagine...a raptor with no vests!). I might be overly optimistic though, so we will probably have to wait and see. Does any one who know if these look like a next generation of train? Or do they look like just longer copies of the ones on Railblazer/Wonder Woman?

The only other bits I have is that (thanks to my new friend...Google Maps) I compared the dimensions of the stations for Railblazer and Wonder Woman, with the dimensions in the plans for Stunt Pilot's station. I found that the dimensions are very similar to Railblazer's, just slightly longer (I assume to accommodate the 10 car trains). This leads me to believe that Stunt Pilot will NOT have the moving loading station like Wonder Woman, and instead have the traditional one like Railblazer's. Although this is a slight bummer from the perspective of trying to incentivize Silverwood to improve their dispatch times...it does make sense that the park would go that route. I don't have any offical information to confirm this though, just my speculation.

The last bit is the thought of an opening date for Stunt Pilot. I'm honestly was expecting mid to late june at the best, and the fourth of july as the most practical. But...the park seems to think otherwise...unlike a certain other park that's getting an RMC *cough cough* Busch Garden Tampa *cough cough* (Ok, just had to get that out of the system...). They haven't officially announced anything, but they did respond to a facebook question about it saying "We are shooting for opening it before June". A local news article says its supposed to open in early may, potentially on opening day, but I'm not buying that... I think their optimism suggests that it will open by mid to late june at the latest, assuming it isn't delayed. (Which seriously, how can you have a delay for a ride that is being made 15 minutes from the construction site, right?)

Anyways...that's all for now folks! We can now officially start counting down to opening day for the park on May 1!

IMG_20210131_105454.thumb.jpg.8a91f9bbbb2464dc29070ea1f0bdc6cc.jpg

image.thumb.png.bab58ae17415662f95c4f67ecddae135.png

image.png.7e10ac1f33d114ba170a35d01dd3149b.png

image.thumb.png.bb7f88bc6d10c5b742fa8376f820b2b9.png

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

More train pics! Sadly, it looks like we are getting harnesses... They don't quite look the same as the ones on Wonder Woman or Railblazer, so that could be a good sign? I think the striping on the front looks better than in the concept art.

image.thumb.png.244e5f558b600fd9c62ee633d16bbfaa.png 

image.thumb.png.0fdd5a187e4cf3a1469610103e2ba26d.png

Good to see that RMC are improving upon the restraint system. Thankfully now, it looks like those harnesses were *almost* designed to be used by humans. That *is* an improvement in comparison to the first design. Also, the stripes on the front of each car do look very nice, I must say.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2021 at 9:24 AM, thrillseeker4552 said:

Those harnesses do like they were slightly redesigned. I'm sure they'll feel the same though.

Can't wait to see some track go in!

On 2/27/2021 at 9:32 AM, Jaykethekid said:

Good to see that RMC are improving upon the restraint system. Thankfully now, it looks like those harnesses were *almost* designed to be used by humans. That *is* an improvement in comparison to the first design. Also, the stripes on the front of each car do look very nice, I must say.

Well, I'm grateful that at least RMC seems to have tried... I have not had the pleasure of riding the other two raptors, but based on the descriptions form others, I hope that RMC at least minimized the issue.

I think the stipes also look great. Infinitely better than what they had in the concept art a few months ago!

In other news...the park filed some another permit today! Again, they are from the Kootenai County Building Department's public records, so no insider info, just what's publicly available. It's labeled as "New structure that roller coaster travels through" and "Silverwood Barn" (Maybe they should have named it Barnstormer while they are at it? Oh wait, can't do that Disney will sue them :lol:) It seems to be some kind of barn or small structure that the train will travel through. Other than that, not much is known. On the site plan its located on the track, immediately after exiting the corkscrew before the final turn.

620028871_Screenshot(13).thumb.png.26962588a64a417b124135b5e5b7db3d.png

1611113270_Screenshot(11).thumb.png.00bb57ee83a7c578124d6a00cd96467a.png

322809981_Screenshot(12).thumb.png.706d0e4fa5ad45a1f62b3591e1e3f822.png

I wouldn't expect much with stuff inside the "barn" (in fact I would expect nothing), but I think its cool how the park is trying there hand at on-ride theming. It makes me more excited for the queue, entrance building, and station and some of the theming touches they could do in there.

Opening day is only 2 months a way (I don't think its gonna be ready by then, but you can hope!) so maybe we will no more by then!

2 hours ago, swfan1988 said:

(Maybe they should have named it Barnstormer while they are at it? Oh wait, can't do that Disney will sue them :lol:)

To be fair, they already have a ride named Barnstormer that's plane themed.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 5:35 PM, Comeagain? said:

To be fair, they already have a ride named Barnstormer that's plane themed.

I totally forgot that ride existed (thanks for the reminder!).😬

In other news...WE GOT THE FIRST PIECE OF TRACK INTSALLED!!!!! WHOAH YEAH!!! (Ok, sorry just...really excited...) Looks like the bottom of the "S" bend after the off- axis airtime hill. Plus, I officially think the colors look amazing!!

image.thumb.png.30565a6b5e44c32e75af75384e3c8d45.png

image.thumb.png.689d6d936fc44ecfb2ef8c31aff2b745.png

image.thumb.png.dd5bf6670a086e7acb5ffef61b484b07.png

image.thumb.png.28ada2f706988f52fc90f235958e2437.png

If this is where they are at in construction, I'd expect more track to be installed in the next week or two. I can't quite make out if all the supports are up, but that might be because it's easier to install some of the track before finishing the rest of the supports?

Looking good, and love the color scheme.

Just hope the white can stay white, without looking weathered or rusty eventually. We all know how some B&M's look before a good pressure wash!

Great news on the continuously moving station - love how it stresses a sense of urgency for oncoming riders.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Baffles said:

Just hope the white can stay white, without looking weathered or rusty eventually. We all know how some B&M's look before a good pressure wash!

Great news on the continuously moving station - love how it stresses a sense of urgency for oncoming riders.

This is definitely my main concern. Looking at some video of Wonder Woman and Railblazer, they both look pretty dirty after only a couple years. Plus you have to consider that Silverwood doesn't have the best track record on repainting their steel coasters...

They installed more track today, looks like they are moving right along! They got approval for the station's permit, so maybe we might get a look at that soon? Jordan Carter (the park's marketing director) commented on one of the park's facebook that while they don't have an official opening date yet, but they are shooting for late may. So I would (hopefully) expect an opening around memorial day...???

image.thumb.png.d27c510d91966666c6437c0b0c0144e1.png

7 hours ago, Baffles said:

I have to assume you have not been on Wonder Woman. . which also has a "continuously moving station".. .that often stops, because a restraint isn't down far enough, or the person has trouble with the restraints.. or someone is late getting to their seat because they were running to the cubbies to put something up.
(or if someone needing assistance getting on the ride..similar to how the Omnimovers stop for the same).

the trains really do move steadily, but often DO come to a complete stop as well in the station.

On 3/9/2021 at 2:01 AM, bert425 said:

I have to assume you have not been on Wonder Woman. . which also has a "continuously moving station".. .that often stops, because a restraint isn't down far enough, or the person has trouble with the restraints.. or someone is late getting to their seat because they were running to the cubbies to put something up.
(or if someone needing assistance getting on the ride..similar to how the Omnimovers stop for the same).

the trains really do move steadily, but often DO come to a complete stop as well in the station.

I have ridden it (my shoulders remember it well), and a fair amount of other rides that have moving platforms and / or trains. Appreciate station stops are activated either manually or automatic from time to time, but the very nature of something continuously moving provides more of a sense of urgency than a static train just sat there. If they didn't, then parks and manufacturers wouldn't bother to install them. Successful examples are Hagrid's, Arthur, Phantom Manor, Rip Ride Rocket and so on...

Well folks we got quite the update!

The park has not received any more approvals for their permits, but hopefully they'll have some progress on that next week. Construction is still ongoing as track piece number 3 was in a couple of days ago. I do like how they are incorporating some of the terain there, which should make Stunt Pilot stand out from the other raptors.

image.thumb.png.07b70ad2a63e58491f33d823564100fe.png

It also looks like the park is really getting ready to ramp it up on construction and marketing, based on the following social media bits...

2124221822_Screenshot_20210311-1858421.thumb.png.b617cbfe9ddcd47f1302115e4b57559a.png

1622511819_Screenshot_20210311-1943041.thumb.png.872b078bd98a8967ec6b6b76e224cd82.png

Screenshot_20210312-072913.thumb.png.28995070dd62ad9e6a792004b602c492.png

I'm really excited that the park looks to be producing some behind the scenes content, and it seems RMC is making their way home to speed up construction! I expect that we'll have more construction updates coming soon! 

As a bonus, they had this in the park newsletter!

1722985568_Screenshot(14).thumb.png.ed27bc7544048c798d83480df2ba2cf2.png

I'm excited that they confirmed that the station, entrance/exit building (whatever that's for...please no fluffy fluffy bunnies filled with medicine and glue!!!), and the storage building are going to be themed as hangers with nods to the park's airshow history!! (Plus I'm hoping for a few general Silverwood references as well...) I'm super excited for what the park's planning, and I'm hoping they'll share some of it with us before it opens!

Oh...and Tremors is getting some off season track work too! Looks like its in the warped helix in that I always thought was the roughest part... Maybe some of that old Lightning Rod Topper Track needs a new home....thanks in advance Dollywood! (On second thought...maybe not...)

image.thumb.png.8ec71d16b47d7337a249049f1a1153bf.png

So...quite a bit is going on, like the park said, so its looking 2021 is a year of change for Silverwood! Here's to it all being good changes! No matter what, we only have to wait 50 DAYS till opening day to see some of them in person!!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We got more Stunt Pilot updates!

Park Journey got an up close construction tour of Stunt Pilot yesterday, and they have a pretty well done report on it. I'm not gonna repost all their photos so here's the link (https://www.parkjourney.com/other-parks/silverwood-stunt-pilot-construction-update-2), and I'll try and summarize. Plus, here's an overall shot the park took form the top of Corkscrew! Edit: the Twitter embed didn't work for me (1000% user error) do here's the park's photo just copied and pasted from their social media.

image.png.9976f354f8cdf9692c68fd9d1ddce0a9.png

Looks like they are really cruising now!

Highlights from the Park Journey report are (in no particular order):

1. Expect a late May/early June opening. Apparently there were some construction delays, and they are waiting on a control panel, so it won't be ready for opening day. (Million Dollar Question: Will it open before Jersey Devil? I think so!)

2. Looks like a good amount of theming is coming. The park already confirmed that the station, storage shed, and entrance/exit building (more on that later...) will be themed as airplane hangers. In the report they show a picture of a Pitts Special Biplane that will be on display which looks really cool! They also say that some theming hasn't been announced, and some may be delayed till next season. This is a bummer, but I could see why they would want to do that.

3. Stunt Pilot will also have a tribute to Bob Heale somewhere. For those who don't know Bob was a key performer in the park's airshows, a friend of Gary Norton (the parks owner and founder), and was involved in the early creation and operation of the park. He was killed in an airplane crash at Fairchild Air Force Base in Spokane, that lead the cancellation of the air shows at Silverwood. The park is working with his family on the tribute, and I think this is a really cool thing the park is doing. Kudos to them!

4. Stunt Pilot WILL have the moving loading station!!!

5. Lots of retracking for both Tremors and Timber Terror, particularly on the helixes for both rides. This is great as both were probably the roughest parts of both rides, and Silverwood does a pretty good job on retracking.

6. The new concession stand under Corkscrew is coming along nice, and it looks like it will probably be ready for opening day.

7. Corkscrew's paint budget didn't show up this year...:lol: (Ok, ok, just kidding...but come on Silverwood! Paint the dang coaster!!)

On the permits side, the park has received approval for pretty much all of them, except the barn flythrough. We also now know the official purpose of the "mystery" entrance/exit building. Part will serve as an entrance hallway were they will check for loose articles, rider height, and  eligibility to ride. The other part will serve as an "exit through retail" shop, and I would fully expect an on-ride photo judging from the way the counter is set up. Here's the approved plans from the building department:

394753620_Screenshot(16).thumb.png.7bc895b0284ccbb7f0ad2b526b24f610.png

I don't know about you guys, but I'm getting really excited!! Here's to a great 2021 season!!

Edited by swfan1988
User Error on Photo Embed
  • Like 1

After looking at the Park Journey pictures, the station & break run look VERY close to the ground compared to RailBlazer & Wonder Woman. Will be interesting to see other slight differences in the size of elements/supports compared to the original prototypes, we can already see that the supports for the lift/twisted turnaround are slightly adjusted for the terrain. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, coasterbill said:

Most people would probably see that last picture and look at the new thing or whatever, I was just like "Oh sh*t, they have a log flume? Maybe I should actually go there."

Haha okay so at least I’m not the only one noticing the log flume.

really excited for this. Have always wanted to support this park too until I realize how hard it is to get to from anywhere in Idaho. I’m in Ketchum/Sun Valley a lot and noticed from there, the trek to Silverwood from anywhere in Idaho is yikes!  From Ketchum, Twin Falls, or even Boise, it really is more than an SF to LA trek, at least 7-10 hours drive!

May have to just plan for a weekend in Washington a maybe drive from Spokane to finally get up there. This all is definitely beautiful incentive. This all looks great.

On 3/24/2021 at 11:14 AM, coasterbill said:

Most people would probably see that last picture and look at the new thing or whatever, I was just like "Oh sh*t, they have a log flume? Maybe I should actually go there."

7 hours ago, vertigomkie said:

Haha okay so at least I’m not the only one noticing the log flume.

Well...I wouldn't travel across the country for that log flume...I would for Stunt Pilot, but maybe not the flume... Although I'm glad it was noticed!😬

What's also funny is that now Silverwood has two rides originally for Kentucky Kingdom, right next each other, and both came to Silverwood because of financial issues at Kentucky Kingdom. I'm not sure if that's something to be proud of, or something to worry about for KK's sake?