TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silverwood Discussion Thread

Soooooooooooo The United States has some states that are still on stay at home orders (AKA house arrest and barely no economic trade) to states that openly allow and encourage leisure. How... odd.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm the last time there was this much tension and differing policy's across the nation was the civil war...

Soooooooooooo The United States has some states that are still on stay at home orders (AKA house arrest and barely no economic trade) to states that openly allow and encourage leisure. How... odd.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm the last time there was this much tension and differing policy's across the nation was the civil war...

I hope you are not a citizen. Otherwise, so much ignorance in one post. Wow!

For all y'all looking at flights to Spokane (GEG), welcome to my hell. There's an unfortunate lack of convenient flights in or out at reasonable times.

It's honestly more convenient and cheaper for me to just fly to Seattle and drive the 5 hours to Silverwood. Yes it's a long drive, but it doesn't end up taking much longer than tacking on a layover or two.

I found some cheap flights, but I think I need Washington to get to Phase 3 of their reopening plan before I could rent a car for leisure travel.

For all y'all looking at flights to Spokane (GEG), welcome to my hell. There's an unfortunate lack of convenient flights in or out at reasonable times.

It's honestly more convenient and cheaper for me to just fly to Seattle and drive the 5 hours to Silverwood. Yes it's a long drive, but it doesn't end up taking much longer than tacking on a layover or two.

I found some cheap flights, but I think I need Washington to get to Phase 3 of their reopening plan before I could rent a car for leisure travel.

The last sentence also might rule out Spokane, unless they're ahead of the Seattle area. IMHO, it would probably be easiest (even though it would include a very long drive and/or multiple connections) to fly into Boise (will need at least one connection and is still a 7-8 hour drive), Salt Lake City (Lagoon will likely be an early-open park so one could also go there if flying in or out of SLC, even though it's a 10+ hour drive according to Google Maps), or Missoula (would be the shortest drive (about three hours), but would likely require two connections or one very long connection from most major cities).

For those who might want to visit after Silverwood reopens, it looks like ticket prices are going to increase concurrent with the release of the reservation system on May 23rd. Tickets purchased before then will be honored any day.

SW.png.e82cd0431c95e75bcdbb730fdebb673f.png

Hmmm...decent flight options in July from Orlando...

Around $300, that's not bad. I'd definitely consider it!

• 2 weeks later...

Well there's good news and bad news...

The good news is that due to the good weather, Boulder Beach opens may 30 along with the theme park!!!

The bad news is...deep breath everybody...

It appears the park has removed the buzz bars on Timber Terror and replaced them with traditional PTC lap bars. I'm disappointed but can see why since it's probably getting harder and harder to get parts for those bars and they have had at least one row broke the last couple of years. Still it's something that made Timber Terror unique, and now I think Phoenix is definitely my favorite. The photo below show it, it's from the local news and they also had some photos on the various COVID-19 measures the park is taking, you can check them out through Roller Coaster Alley's Twitter page.

EZG78yqUEAM4b98.jpeg.69dd389a89335af900ba5bcaee33b659.jpeg

Oh the abomination...RIP Timber Terror with buzz bars 1996-2019...

Yeah, the lasts couple of seasons at least one row towards the back was out of commission. Even last year their was a broken row on opening day. It must have seriously become an issue last year. It's hard for me to tell, but does it look like they bought a new train or just changed the restraint on the old one?

Either way I guess we'll have to ride it to find out how much of an affect the new restraints have on the ride experience. Here's to hoping its not as bad as it could be!!! (See Great American Scream Machine, SFOG, please may it not be as bad as people say that thing is!)

I'm very disappointed to hear that. It's definitely possible this will affect my experience of the ride, although there's still hope considering it's a top-tier airtime machine and there are, of course, other excellent rides out there with ratcheting lap bars.

They had seat belts before, so I assume there's seat belts now as well. The belts were not a bid deal, they were their for extra safety. The original buzz bars were what made the ride more special.

Also, I saw the local news report and it does look like the train got new paint as well, at least. It looks to be solid green with a black strip at the top, rather than the gradual fade to yellow at the back that it previously had. I think that makes paint change number 3, for the ride.

I don't think so. I know Knoebels got the old Rolling Thunder trains for spare parts for Phoenix, which has buzz bars and I assume Rolling Thunder did too. I think if you go to PTC's website they don't sell new buzz bar trains, just the ones with the individual lap bars and some that are articulated (think Millennium Flyer style trains, made by PTC) I don't know for sure but it doesn't seem like they still make parts for the buzz bars.

Thanks Comeagain? !!! That's interesting that some can be found but rarely, probably not the easiest parts to just make either. I hope Knoebels can keep getting parts for Phoenix. That ride would truly suffer if it lost its buzz bars. Timber Terror will hopefully handle it ok.

This does look like a train rebuild PTC would do in their factory during the winter months...or a swap with a rebuilt train. Such work is a large percentage of PTC's business.

Of course I like the buzz bars...but if the park doesn't staple the guests these don't bother me much.

And I would guess in the present climate stapling may be a thing of the past...

Thanks Comeagain? !!! That's interesting that some can be found but rarely, probably not the easiest parts to just make either. I hope Knoebels can keep getting parts for Phoenix. That ride would truly suffer if it lost its buzz bars. Timber Terror will hopefully handle it ok.

I've heard other things that PTC Doesn't like Knoebel's cause they cut the seatbelts out of their coasters. So they have to get Hersheypark to get PTC Parts I think.

PTC Still make/offer Buzz Bars.

Sounds like it must have been a refurbishment/rebuild. Roller Coaster Alley is doing Twitter updates for opening day and it looks like Tremors train looks like it got a fresh coat of paint at least, and no graphics on the front.

Maybe they gave both woodies trains an upgrade?

Screenshot_20200530-144329.thumb.png.66f4b0b1330e6f0db3399dfd0b379cd1.png

Tremors train looks different/new/refurbished too - Photo from Roller Coaster Alley Twitter