TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silverwood Discussion Thread

More money was spent on disassembly, transport, and reassembly then on the actual ride.

Six flags really didn't want it, but then when they couldn't sell the last one, did they decide to just make it work? Do you think they couldn't sell the last one, or just decided to keep one in their collection for S's&G's? Does the one at SFNE run better than those first couple years by now? Did Vekoma retrofit/"fix" that one like they did Aftershock?

By the way, the slow operations sounds more like a morale thing than a training thing; just imagine yourself in the ride ops' position

1. It's 100 degrees outside

2. You have to be out in the heat for hours at a time

3. You have guests disobeying rules/being rude/not following directions/yelling at you to hurry up

4. You are paid minimum wage or barely above

5. You don't need the job for your living wage and there are few opportunities for advancement so who cares?

Everyone complains all the time about slow ride ops, but do you ever think about how the ops feel in the situation? If you have a shitty job, it's hard to want to do it to the best of your ability. I have had some shitty jobs, and maybe some of you haven't had the opportunity, but it is VERY hard to stay energetic and positive when you are treated like just another warm body filling a slot in a shift chart. I always managed to do my best, but not everyone is as motivated as me That's probably what's going on here; a lack of appreciation/valuation on the employer's part and maybe a lack of regular rotation of employees so they don't get tired/bored.

Of course this is all just speculation, I will update that opinion when I have actually been to the park again in the next couple days.

By the way, the slow operations sounds more like a morale thing than a training thing; just imagine yourself in the ride ops' position

1. It's 100 degrees outside

2. You have to be out in the heat for hours at a time

3. You have guests disobeying rules/being rude/not following directions/yelling at you to hurry up

4. You are paid minimum wage or barely above

5. You don't need the job for your living wage and there are few opportunities for advancement so who cares?

Everyone complains all the time about slow ride ops, but do you ever think about how the ops feel in the situation? If you have a shitty job, it's hard to want to do it to the best of your ability. I have had some shitty jobs, and maybe some of you haven't had the opportunity, but it is VERY hard to stay energetic and positive when you are treated like just another warm body filling a slot in a shift chart. I always managed to do my best, but not everyone is as motivated as me That's probably what's going on here; a lack of appreciation/valuation on the employer's part and maybe a lack of regular rotation of employees so they don't get tired/bored.

Now that I have been to the park recently (yesterday), I have to disagree with skylark. Every ride op I witnessed was working very hard and going as fast as was reasonable given the conditions. True, there are some inefficiencies, but from what I saw it was more due to procedure or lack of enough employees. For example, 1 ride op was manning Corkscrew all day until my last ride when they swapped out for 2. Aftershock was operating extremely efficiently, I only had to wait 10 minutes both times I rode it. The long-ish waits on the woodies, which weren't even long really (30 mins), were not due to the ride ops being slow or lazy. It was because they only run 1 train on both. Plus if they were a bit slow I would not blame them, it was downright hot yesterday and should be hotter today.

Again, my suggestion would be not to go on a weekend, especially in the summer before kids have gone back to school. Yesterday was Victory Day (commemorating how we obliterated hundreds of thousands of civilians with an atomic bomb, but that's another rant), but I don't think it drew any more crowds than normal.

We shall see how Boulder Beach is operating today, it should be busy considering it's supposed to reach 100 in some areas.

• 2 weeks later...

So Silverwood was awesome, I am very much looking forward to heading back in October to see and experience more at night. Also, Timber Terror backward sounds nuts. I do wish they had 2 trains so they could use 1 forward and 1 backward, because I want to ride it forward more too!

Here are my 5 favorite pictures from the 3 days I was there. Don't judge me, I am a theme park novice so I really liked it, so I went back a third day!

11838608_10104409055080178_3378346818228029611_o.jpg

11895045_10104409055095148_3200936337451290147_o.jpg

11221800_10104397152023998_8137656646419834744_o.jpg

11914243_10104423215826928_2535340301870264974_o.jpg

11856283_10104397150142768_1820662157543648203_o.jpg

Honorable mention: the flowers

11222920_10104399969113528_1395094506800552069_o.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hey Pacific NW'erners, Scarywood is right around the corner and info has finally been posted on Silverwood's website. I figured I'd pass the info on here in case it will convince anyone to make the trip over. I'm about a month away from my trip and getting excited!

Scarywood Haunted Nights 2015

Silverwood Theme Park

Weekends, October 2nd-30th

Thursdays $25.99, Fridays $32.99, Saturdays $39.99

SAVE $5 when you buy tickets online 3+ days in advance

5 haunted attractions, 7 scare zones, and rides in the dark--including my current favorite coaster, Timber Terror, running its train BACKWARD!!

New for 2015: "Caved In," a new walk-through haunted attraction which has replaced the Ancient Ruins (I'm sad I never got to see that one but it looked sort of sub-par judging by pictures I have seen). The Clown Town scare zone has also been expanded according to the website.

Here's a good trip report from last year's event, with some nice pics despite the darkness (not my report): Scarywood 2014 Trip Report

Be aware:

- The event, especially Zombiewood Express, is not family-friendly. Much profanity and suggestive subject matter aboard the train!

- Dress warmly; although predictions are for above-normal temperatures in October it will most likely be chilly, especially on the rides

- For the safety of guests and team members, no guest costumes are allowed

See website for all the details, I'm not with Silverwood and take no responsibility for any info I might have messed up!

-----

I'm headed over on the weekend of the 23rd, and going with some family on Friday and probably Saturday night. We might have another TPR forum member meeting up with us already, so if anyone else can make it on that weekend, we can have a mini TPR meetup!

• 3 weeks later...
I personally like Timber Terror because its airtime + single-position buzz bars.

Me too, the feeling of floating without the bar holding you down is like, "Whoa!"

Plus Tremors abused me last time I rode it; I accidentally pushed the restraint too low and was getting my gut/other parts smashed throughout the whole ride. AKA I stapled myself Airtime is not as fun when you know it is going to result in intense jarring pain

Question of the day, Tremors or Timber Terror?

I have to go with everyone else and say Timber Terror. The buzz bar air time is AMAZING in the front seat. There's still some strong lats in the turn around and the helix, but it shines as an airtime machine.

Tremors is good too, TT just does more of what I prefer in a roller coaster.

So, apparently Silverwood's 2016 addition is a giant racer waterslide in Boulder beach? ( I forgot the model name )

Here

Link is dead, for me anyway

I went to Scarywood with 4 family members and we thought it was really fun, except waiting in line when it was so cold. By the time we left it was below freezing and some people (including myself) didn't bring enough to wear, so that was the main downside. The gift shop by the theater had 50% off though, so we got some cheap sweatshirts to throw on. Also the line for Tremors was long, but the staff were doing a FANTASTIC job getting trains out ASAP while trying to babysit those who don't know how to buckle the paddle-style buckles. We skipped Timber Terror for tonight, but plan on heading there first thing tomorrow- today we did Zombiewood Express first, which was a good suggestion because even though we waited over an hour, the line just kept getting longer after we got in. The guy who plays Sgt. Buzz is pretty great.

I recommend it if you're in the area, but I probably wouldn't come all the way from Seattle again. Just too many people for the number of rides they have running, especially with only 1 train on each woodie. I dream of the day Silverwood decides that they need a 2nd train on those, but I don't know if it will ever happen. With no competition in the area there is no real reason for them to do so, but I wish they would.

So I just got back from Scarywood for the second night, and it was a lot of fun. There really are "just too many frights to fit in one night" as the website suggests- while some reasons for this were unavoidable, others were completely avoidable, and that's where Silverwood is starting to lose cool points with me--but it was still an awesome experience and I'm glad we came. I won't complain too much here, but I don't think Silverwood is expanding capacity quite enough to meet the increase in audience it has seen recently. I recognize that they're consistently adding attractions, but everything they've added has extremely limited capacity.

Again, I would recommend it if you're nearby, but if you're expecting anything like HHN you won't be satisfied. I have never been to a theme park Halloween Event until now, so I think it was a good starting point, but next time I would spend the extra $$ to make a trip to SFMM Fright Fest or something.

I can now see the point 65skylark was getting at, although I disagree with blaming the ride ops- Silverwood just has a fairly low capacity, and it's starting to show more and more when big crowds hit.

edit; Also, Timber Terror backward made me laugh and scream like a madman. Such a great ride!

This Saturday was the biggest Scarywood night we've ever had. We're less than a 1/3rd of the park we normally are and had enough people that it would be crowded with the entire park and waterpark open.

It'd be awesome if you could share what things you thought the park could do better. Either here or in private. I'm always interested in hearing ideas on improving the park, even if there's only so much I can do.

This Saturday was the biggest Scarywood night we've ever had. We're less than a 1/3rd of the park we normally are and had enough people that it would be crowded with the entire park and waterpark open.

It'd be awesome if you could share what things you thought the park could do better. Either here or in private. I'm always interested in hearing ideas on improving the park, even if there's only so much I can do.

That's good to hear, glad that the event & park is getting more popular. We saw a HUGE line of cars coming into the park both times we rode Timber Terror, so it's not that surprising, and knowing that I have to give Kudos to the staff for doing well with the resources they have. I'm not trying to complain for complaining's sake; I would really like to see the park continue to improve, and I hope they do! But I think they need to do more than add a water slide every other year to successfully accomplish that. I will PM you with details so that I'm not mucking up the thread with negativity.

edit; 3Dementia with Kill the Noise playing was awesome, I loved that maze

So since Silverwood is having a contest to name their new racing slides, I sent in the name... Wait for it...

SHOTGUN RACERS!!!

IDK, I hope it's good If I win (not likely), I'll ask for the second place person's entry to get the prizes, since I wouldn't want to get stuff I couldn't use!

• 2 weeks later...

Just in case anyone is planning a trip, for the next few days season passes are on sale for super cheap... If I was sure I was coming back next year I would definitely buy one, but I'm trying to go to SFMM and Orlando next year so I might not be able to get back to Silverwood. But if you plan on going even just 2 days, the pass would be only $1 extra since you get free parking with it.

http://www.silverwoodthemepark.com/admission/season-passes.php

I noticed they have apparently gotten rid of their 3-consecutive-day pass. I think I might be the only one crazy enough to go 3 days in the same week, but even I didn't do consecutive days!

• 2 weeks later...
How do the two woodies at Silverwood, in their current form (for better or worse), compare to The Raven and the Legend at Holiday World? Are they as fast-paced and intense? Has either been trimmed to death?

I have been on 115 coasters, and Tremors is my 6th favourite coaster of all time, it's that awesome. I haven't ridden Raven, but I definitely think Tremors is better. As for Timber Terror, it's a great ride with good airtime, but on bad days I've been on rides without any air.

• 2 months later...
You put in the wrong link. It should be This (you entered the link with 2 "http"

Wow that looks pretty fun, I'm sure it will be a good family addition and could spread out the lines in BB a bit. Looks like it should be pretty high capacity too! My submission: Riptide Racers. Alliteration!

I submitted this name 8 days before they posted anything about the contest publicly on facebook, but I somehow didn't win... feels bad man

Untitled.jpg.38824c8103e0b65386193a7e757193c9.jpg