TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silverwood Discussion Thread

• 1 month later...
But there's not a lot of other things to do in the area.

Actually, there are a lot of things to do in the area, and I think this is one of the factors holding Silverwood back from being more popular and drawing bigger crowds. The number and variety of outdoor activities around the area probably keeps a lot of their potential guests busy enough that they don't feel the need to spend money going to a theme park. I know for myself--until I recently got into coasters--Silverwood was not even on my radar because there are so many other things to do during the summer. Also, those activities don't require a 7 hour drive to the middle of nowhere (we have effectively unlimited hiking/backpacking/mountaineering opportunities within 3 hours of Seattle), so it's not surprising that it's not a real "destination" park for the region. Plus, most of the yuppies around the Seattle area are just too cool to go to a theme park, they'd rather go to a gallery opening or something equally boring.

Keeps the crowds down, but I think it also keeps the park from investing in a new premier coaster.

Sorry I misunderstood, I thought you were referring to the "huge geographic area" you mentioned the sentence before

I would love to see Silverwood grow to become like one of the big independent parks such as Morey's or Lagoon, but I just don't see it happening in this location. I think they will need an outside investor if they ever want to become a destination park, but this would change the park completely; maybe the owners want to stay small-ish, and retain that more friendly vibe, and that's fine too.

I just want them to build more roller coasters so that I can ride them!

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone been to the park yet this year? I'm getting excited for my trip there in August (I don't get away much, so it's like going to WDW for me!) and I'm wondering how things are going this year. I would imagine with it being quiet, things are going well- it's always things going wrong that generate the most discussion!

I think I posted this earlier in the thread, but I will be there sometime between the August 10th-14th, so if anyone else from the forum is there we should meet up! I might also come back for Scarywood this year, and ride my first roller coaster backward (fingers crossed they do it again)

edit: also, can anyone update on how Aftershock has been running? Do they have most of the kinks worked out by now, or should I expect it to still be closed >50% of the time?

• 2 months later...

The last 3 years or so, Aftershock (usually) has run pretty smooth.

Riding Timber Terror backwards - that's actually more enjoyable than forward. If you get a chance to go to Scarywood, I'd recommend it. Although Aftershock will not be running during the Scarywood event, your ticket will include a free return visit in May when it usually is open.

Cedar Fairs needs to buy Silverwood , call it Silver Point... build massive amazing coasters like Millenium Force and Maverick. Heck ,I'd buy a seasons pass again and go if SW had some of those amazing types of rides.

your ticket will include a free return visit in May when it usually is open.

Wha? Awesome! I did not know this. Is this new for 2015 or have they always done that for Scarywood?

I don't know how well they market that part or not, but over the years, they always give a ticket good to return in May. Aftershock isn't run when it is, (I think) below 65ºF, and often the temps during scarywood in a normal year will run in the 30's-low 50's. Sometimes in the 30's /below freezing by end of Oct.

It's better every year, and in fat, i just applied to by one the part time show actresses for Scarywood this year.

Cedar Fairs needs to buy Silverwood , call it Silver Point... build massive amazing coasters like Millenium Force and Maverick. Heck ,I'd buy a seasons pass again and go if SW had some of those amazing types of rides.

I hope this is a joke.

I had the opportunity to check out Silverwood for the first time in June. I thought it was an incredibly decorated, cute little park. The coasters were also excellent. Here are some photos of my adventure!

IMG_1165.thumb.JPG.39da2b5ac02f4e660b25f200b44f586c.JPG

IMG_1166.thumb.JPG.51b2dc25e464a76e99df9eb2d0f16f21.JPG

I'm not great at the selfie with signs thing yet. My first GIB!

IMG_1167.thumb.JPG.8c3e65cb8daddc62f36bdaa6cb6162e8.JPG

This coaster was incredible!

IMG_1168.thumb.JPG.976b5244405e0449498f36c07b55132d.JPG

Imber Terror....come on - get it together

IMG_1169.thumb.JPG.e6bb9c007b6dd60e37acf0ea8275ebe6.JPG

I can't even blame pressure to get in line for this one, there was hardly anyone at Silverwood this day!

IMG_1170.thumb.JPG.772adcd08eb97870595d20fa4b970333.JPG

I thought this sign was a little macbre.

IMG_1171.thumb.JPG.de4d830f5b420150ab36f578c4357618.JPG

Silverwood is covered with extraordinary flower displays.

IMG_1172.thumb.JPG.deaf941747279c2b48afeabfb940beb7.JPG

Oooooo.

IMG_1173.thumb.JPG.3300a837e33b6219624fbf068f5d33f4.JPG

Ahhhhhhh.

IMG_1174.thumb.JPG.b677d57e5c0650afc479b7b8ce3a25bc.JPG

Their newest ride. I found this one to be more intense than maxAir or Delirium at KI because the disc is smaller and it goes upside down!

IMG_1181.thumb.JPG.c772db68caa1224c54da9ddd2c1c82d2.JPG

Another shot of Aftershocks first lift

IMG_1182.thumb.JPG.0bae206d82d6e610ee9fbbdf51083d14.JPG

While Tremors isn't huge, it has great airtime!

IMG_1183.thumb.JPG.1504a4eb136b2328754a854bcfc18bd0.JPG

IMG_1184.thumb.JPG.96327b1c68897455c84642a20cb7bec2.JPG

Old Corkscrew from Knott's Berry Farm

IMG_1185.thumb.JPG.f35813f17e884a07838552768adb39c6.JPG

Backstory here

IMG_1198.thumb.JPG.9762ac75a6572fcc98ccefd347f9d60d.JPG

Ended the day with a Huckleberry Funnel Cake, holy crap it was delicious

Nice pictures! I don't really know much about Silverwood except the rollercoasters, but it looks like a nice park. I really like the look of the signs pointing to the different rides, a simple touch but very effective.

Silverwood is a pretty small park located in isolated Northern Idaho - you can see cow pastures from the tops of all the roller coasters. It's divided up pretty simply - when you walk in, if you take a right you go to the water park and if you take a left go to the rides section. All the roller coasters except for Corkscrew are grouped together in the back left hand corner of the park. They have a pretty great, small selection of flat rides. The park really shines in its landscaping - aside from BGW, its the prettiest park I've ever been to.

Great trip report, I am really going to have to get up to Silverwood sometime soon. I loved Deja Vu when it was at SFMM and was bummed when they removed it. It's pretty amazing this little park has one of the two GIBs in the entire country. I also have fond memories of riding Corkscrew at Knott's when I was a kid, so it would be fun to be able to ride it once again.

I may get out there and perhaps put together a trip report for you guys to enjoy.. I mean, it's only 16 miles from my house. It's a beautiful place. I usually take my nephews in Sept. since the gate price goes down in half after Boulder Beach is closed for the season.

Am I joking that I'd love to see Cedar Fair buy the park? No, but ONLY if it become built up and an amazing place like CP, and not wind up neglected like it sounds KBF has been. There is already a destination campground on site. If there was an (decent) onsite hotel and I lived out of the area, I would come stay and ride.

Here's another photo trip report from another website (not mine)

http://www.rollercoasteralley.com/news07.22.15_Page1.php

The last picture is the best!

Also, something i just saw while on their site:

Pretty good thing to be aware of, and generous IMO. Also:

Good times!

Nice they let people bring some food in. I don't eat fast food or corn syrup, so I avoid amusement park food.

The roller coaster alley page shows that Silverwood clearcut the trees in the campground. It was a nice shady campground when I stayed there a couple years ago.

Am I joking that I'd love to see Cedar Fair buy the park? No, but ONLY if it become built up and an amazing place like CP, and not wind up neglected like it sounds KBF has been. There is already a destination campground on site. If there was an (decent) onsite hotel and I lived out of the area, I would come stay and ride.

Oh God no. Trust me, it's better to have Silverwood remain as is. It's a great park and your community should (and is) very proud of. I'm sure it won't be long before they add another world class addition.

Great trip report, I am really going to have to get up to Silverwood sometime soon. I loved Deja Vu when it was at SFMM and was bummed when they removed it. It's pretty amazing this little park has one of the two GIBs in the entire country. I also have fond memories of riding Corkscrew at Knott's when I was a kid, so it would be fun to be able to ride it once again.

It was pretty sweet to ride Corkscrew as a big coaster fanboy for the history of it but its kind of hilariously shorty and jerky. I mean, its up, corkscrews, finished. That's it. Worth it for the history, but not so much for my head.

My family and I just got back from our annual visit to Silverwood. Took some friends who have never been before and we went on a Saturday. Unfortunately, Tremors, even with the new topper track installed a few years ago, is a shell of it's former self. Timber Terror is still pretty decent with plenty of air time. HUGE crowds and 101 degree high temps may have effected my overall opinion but for a park so nice and clean, the ride operations are about the worst I've seen at any park. Still only one train on each woodie after all these years and just very, very slow employees. I don't know if it's just because they're the only show in town and no one in that part of the country knows any better, but we won't be back during the peak summer season again. Great park if you have light crowds, very frustrating if it's busy.

went on a Saturday.

Well there's your problem. I know not everyone can have weekdays off, but I'm sure you get much more bang for your buck when it's not the last month before kids go back to school. I feel like that should be a general rule for enthusiasts: if you want to enjoy yourself, go during the week or off-peak season.

I'm going this week, and it looks like possible thunder showers- hoping that means less people and more rides for me!

However I do agree, one-train ops are getting old, but at the same time I understand why they don't run extras; for every extra train it's 2x cost, 2x maintenance, 2x wear on the track. And like you said, there isn't another park within 5 hours (anything good within ~10 hours), so they don't have to worry about guests jumping ship to the next park. I just hope the money they save running 1 train gets re-invested in something awesome in the upcoming years. RMC please help us!

Well every Saturday for the past few weeks has been the busiest day of the season yet. We're trying. Honestly. But when there's that many people in our little park it's hard to keep up, or to even have enough places for everyone to go.

If you're coming on a day with storms in the forecast, make sure you stay if there are storms. Lightning in the area will close many rides and scare many people away, but as soon as the lightning passes we'll reopen everything we can.

^ It was last Saturday. I'm not the most seasoned theme park traveler out there, but I have been to quite a few parks across the US, over 250 coasters, and believe me, the employees were not trying hard to dispatch trains. They were very, VERY slow with no sense of urgency at all. I'm very aware it was one of the busiest days of the year for the park and that is all the more reason it was frustrating to see no sense of urgency.

Having said that, I don't believe it had anything to do with the employees themselves, I believe that is how they've been trained to do things. It's a small park hundreds of miles away from any other parks. In some ways I don't think they truly know any better and don't think most of the patrons know any better. The fact that you said "We're trying. Honestly." just proves that point. Because in comparison to every other park I've been to, you guys weren't trying.

Still a fun park on a slower day. SOOO much potential, and it's great to see so many people there. It's great to see some of the recent investments in making the park better. I'd just like to now see them take the next step and operate their park more efficiently. Make some investments in customer experience instead of another ride this time. I'm sure they'll eventually get there.

BTW, LOVE Nick Norton's magic show! It really gets better and better every year.