TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silverwood Discussion Thread

I'm surprised a little no one had said anything about this. In RollerCoasterAlley.com's podcast interview with Gary Norton, the parks owner Mr. Norton talks very briefly about new things coming to Silverwood. The interesting tidbit:

There is a major major development were going to be going into by 2015. ... This is so bizarre nobody in they're right mind would try and do what we're going to do. And I don't know anybody who's ever tried to do it this way. It's another one of the bizarre things that I've finally found something that I've been trying, probably 6, 7, 8 years I've been studying. Been trying to figure out how to do up here. So anyway, it'll probably add another 1/3 again or 1/2 again to the park size, so it'll be another whole section that will be... It's definitely off the charts. It'll be "are you kidding me they're going to do that?"

Just something to think about.

^ I have a feeling it's only a matter of time till RMC builds something custom for Silverwood. They are after all just down the road from the park and have a great relationship.

"Suddenly, as she looked up, she was punched several times to the forehead," the incident report states. "She jumped up and exclaimed 'what the hell man,' and he replied 'wow... I thought you were a thing.'"

Missed this story but this is just terrible. Hopefully they have been charged.

• 4 weeks later...

http://www.rollercoasteralley.com/upcoming_NewKidsRides_Jan28.php

With just over three months to go until opening day, Silverwood has announced the addition of THREE new family rides for the 2014 season - a small Spinning Coaster, a giant puppy ride that barks on command, and a kite glider. All are scheduled to be ready for operation prior to the first day of summery in 2014! Additionally, another family ride - a Hot Air Baloon ride - will be opening in 2015. Finally, the popular kiddie Ferris wheel will be re-themed and moved to the new area.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1391020552.476367.jpg.28df93fe6495d7a707db5e1876e56824.jpg

How would you like to be the ride op who has to listen to the "barking dog" kiddie ride all day?

I was one of the lucky ones to listen to a Trabant fairly regularly. And we've all got the Banjos every day. I'm sure it will be easy to tune it out after a few cycle. It's only a problem if you let it bug you. Hopefully.

Is that the spinning coaster model from IAAPA? If so it seemed fun and it's cool to see a park pick up one so quickly.

It looks like it. Seems like the park is getting along with SBF VISA.

I'm interested to see what those 2015 plans are. If it includes something epic enough, I may have to return. Couple that with the GIB credit I wasn't able to get.

Also, hope that dude who assaulted the scare actor got what was coming to him. Maybe if he had been cooperative and apologetic, he would have gotten off. Injuries don't lie.

• 6 months later...
In brief: Silverwood restroom destroyed by fire

The Spokesman-Review

August 25, 2014

A fire in a building housing restrooms and changing rooms forced a temporary evacuation Sunday at Silverwood Theme Park’s Boulder Beach Water Park in Athol.

The fire broke out about 1:45 p.m. in the building on the northeast end of the water park, Silverwood spokesman Mark Robitaille said. There were no injuries but the building was a loss, Robitaille said.

The water park was reopened about 4:15 p.m.

Silverwood’s water park has one more week of operation left in the season.

Timberlake and Northern Lakes fire protection districts responded to the fire.

Scott Maben

So, that wasn't a major accident in my opinion, but still, definitely a scary situation.

• 1 month later...

Just booked my hotel for this summer, I'll be there sometime during Aug. 9-14. I know this will probably be a busy time, but I want to make sure I get some nice weather, and statistically end of July or beginning of August is the best bet.

I have been there once before, but everything was being taken care of by my parents because I was 13, so I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for making the most out of the trip? I plan on getting there for opening time at least 1 day so I can get some rides in on coasters without much line waiting. What is the food policy there? Can I bring my own? Is there any re-entry on normal days (Scarywood says no)?

I don't remember the coasters much, but looking at videos of Timber Terror almost made me drive over for "Scarywood" this week or next week, but it's too long to drive from Seattle for just 1 day. Then I almost decided to settle for Wild Waves, and then remembered that I'd be better off saving the money.

We need an indoor park or something for Seattle.

Yes, you can re-enter the park. No outside food or drink. At about 2:30 or so most people end up going to the waterpark meaning coaster lines are almost non-existent. (Personal opinion after opening Aftershock many times) don't run to shock. If you run anywhere at opening, go to Tremors or SpinCycle. Both will keep a fairly long line all day (which does shorten in the early afternoon like I mentioned) but after the initial rush Aftershock generally will have about a 15 minute wait.

If it rains, everything except rides that can't run in rain due to their drive systems (Ferris Wheel, Tilt-a-Whirl, Trabant, Super Round Up, Sky Diver, Red Baron, Krazy Koaster) will remain open. Higher rides will close in lightning, but the park itself doesn't close for weather.

Aftershock is pretty reliable by August, but there's really no way to tell if it'll be open when you're here until you get here.

Just moved from Chicago (home park SFGA) and prior to that Indiana (home park Holiday World) to the Missoula area. I will miss Holiday World and the ability to take a ride on Thunderbird this year. However, I was pleased to find a new home park. Looks like Silverwood is my new home park. I had never heard of it until today actually. Looking forward to checking it out this summer. Did I miss the big announcement about what is coming in 2015?

Thanks for the reply comeagain, I was thinking I could have looked up the info about re-entry but thanks for confirming. At least I will be able to stash some stuff in the cooler, or go back to Coeur d' Alene or something for lunch and come back without paying 2x.

Also, great info about the water park rush time... I'm mainly going there for rides, but will probably like to do the water park as well at some point, so that will also help me avoid peak lines for the slides and such. I know from our water park over here that waiting in lines all day for a few 30 second water slides is not fun at all. Is there anything in particular you recommend for the water park that's thrilling or fun? We didn't do any slides when I was there before, just log flume and the river raft ride. I think it was too cold for getting wet.

Hope they add something super fun for next year besides that flat ride, it seems like they have really been expanding lately and I hope that continues.

When I knew I was going to eventually move to Colorado I was like, "Oooo! That's close to Idaho! I can go to Silverwood!" Then I google mapped it and got so disappointed at discovering that it was like a 15-hour drive. Dag these Western states are ginormous...

Maybe I can find a cheap flight from Denver to Spokane to make it worth my while some day.

^ if they end up building an RMC woody, I'd try and go on the first friday of Scarywood. There were no crowds. The mazes were good. But more importantly you can get A LOTTTTTT of NIGHT RIDES in on Timber Terror, Tremors, and presumably the new ride. Aftershock doesn't operate unless its above 70 degrees so I wouldn't expect that to be open.

• 5 months later...

So, no new posts since last year... Sad that this place is so under-appreciated

I am still planning on heading over there August this year, crossing my fingers that there will still be some surprise new attraction that is unveiled but it doesn't look like the long-rumored 'huge expansion' for 2015 is coming to fruition. Roller Coaster Alley had a few posts regarding seeing cranes on the weather cam, and a couple of buildings under construction, but nothing indicating any new real attractions. Oh well, it will mostly all be new to me, the last time I was there I was pretty young and I don't feel like I had a proper appreciation for theme parks... My parents made the most of it though, I think my mom rode Timber Terror like 4 or 5 times if I remember right! Also it was probably half the size, so it will be fun.

Anyone planning on being there early August PM me or reply and maybe we can have a mini-meetup!

Well, that might change with the big new coaster opening at Lagoon this year. Maybe people who head to Utah will go ahead and push on to Silverwood in Idaho.

Never been to either park, myself.

Well, that might change with the big new coaster opening at Lagoon this year. Maybe people who head to Utah will go ahead and push on to Silverwood in Idaho.

Never been to either park, myself.

Silverwood and Lagoon is actually a HUGE distance apart. Driving from Lagoon to Silverwood nonstop would be a good 12-hour drive. When I did it two years ago, it took us between 18-20 hours to get from Utah to northern Idaho. It's hard to put the two parks together into one trip unless you want to have a nice road trip in between.

This really is the reason why the two parks aren't talked about too much outside of locals. They are spread into these areas where no other parks (or attractions,) are around for miles, unless they are small and really just for locals. Even Elitch Gardens isn't talked about much anymore. Must say, both are great parks but location is their weakness, as well as a strength (no competition for guests.)

Silverwood actually pulls from a huge geographic area with little competition. All the way from Seattle to Montana, Oregon, Northern California even, as well as Canada. But there's not a lot of other things to do in the area.

Silverwood actually pulls from a huge geographic area with little competition. All the way from Seattle to Montana, Oregon, Northern California even, as well as Canada. But there's not a lot of other things to do in the area.
I know this, was just stating that putting Lagoon and Silverwood into one trip wouldn't be easy. I understand that Silverwood pulls from a huge geographic. Really does have me hope they get the rumored RMC or at least another marquee coaster. The coaster line-up is really good, just small.

I know this, was just stating that putting Lagoon and Silverwood into one trip wouldn't be easy. I understand that Silverwood pulls from a huge geographic. Really does have me hope they get the rumored RMC or at least another marquee coaster. The coaster line-up is really good, just small.
There's also a LARGE Majority of Idahoans that are completely unaware of Silverwood.

If I could trade my home park for Silverwood, I would do it in a heartbeat. The times I've been the park has been clean, vibrant, and most of all fun. Sure it might not have the biggest rides around, but the ones they do have fit with the parks atmosphere. It also helps that they have good wood.