TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Silverwood Discussion Thread

Here's the official announcement....

Silverwood announces addition of two new rides for 2013

(North of Coeur d’Alene, ID) – Silverwood Theme Park has announced the addition of two new rides; the first a thrilling new 104’ tall giant thrill ride exhibiting 3 ½ Gs, with its name yet to be determined, but will be through a naming contest. The second a family-fun ride named Barnstormer. Both rides are expected to open this spring and will be operating for the 2013 season.

Recently purchased from Italian manufacturer VISA International, the new thrill ride is being shipped and will arrive at the beginning of April when it will be assembled and ready to operate at the beginning of the 2013 season. Also Italian-made, Barnstormer has already arrived at the park and will be assembled as soon as weather permits and the snow dissipate.

With an expense of over $2.2 million for the two new rides, Silverwood continues to invest in its infrastructure to maintain its position as the northwest’s premiere destination for family fun and thrills. The naming contest will run from January 22nd through February 22nd. Submissions and contest details can be made at silverwoodthemepark.com .

Silverwood Theme Park is the largest Theme and Water Park in the Northwest with 216 acres of fun and over 65 rides, slides, shows and attractions. The park boasts 4 massive roller coasters, 1 drop tower and a myriad of other family friendly rides and attractions as well as the Boulder Beach Water Park with 2 expansive wave pools, numerous water slides, play areas for the kids and VIP cabanas. Opening in 1988, Silverwood has grown from a local attraction into a fixture in the Northwest tourism industry as the most attended attraction in the state of Idaho. For more information log onto http://www.silverwoodthemepark.com or call 208.683.3400

Ride Specs:

New 2013 Thrill Ride (Name to be determined through contest)395446_10151424904748674_983598768_n.thumb.jpg.592f9b501c183c21f9c252291a3d8f56.jpg

Ride Height: 104’ – 2’ came off of the total of 107’ because it is being installed in a pit to keep it ground level (handicap accessible).

Ride Width: 58’

Ride Depth: 42’

Seats: 24 - Outward facing

Speed:

Gondola rotational speed: 13 rpm

Swing speed: 14 rpm

3 ½ Gs

Manufacturer: VISA International, srl.

Total Cost with install and transport: $2 million

Cost of ride with transport and customs: Approximately $1.35 million

Arrival date at the park: 4-15-13 (area of installation will be prepped and ready; ride can be put up in 5 days). It is shipping via land and sea in 5 containers from Italy.

New 2013 Family Ridenewride2_t620.jpg.9c0668cbb9c9b1e77de125db64d8a953.jpg

Ride Name: Barnstormer

Manufacturer: Zamperla (Italy)

Manufacture Date: 2000

Ride Height: 25’-7”

Ride Width: 30’-5”

Ride Depth: 26’-2”

Seats: 20 passengers (can be 20 adults)

Speed: Variable up to 10 RPM

Hourly Capacity: 500

Ride is currently located in Scotch Plains, NJ

Ride will be transported via flat bed semi truck

Total Ride cost $200,000

One of only 2 rides like it in the United States, the other being located at Six Flags Great Adventure.

^^...And if it rides anything like a good Evolution, I am going to die.

I'm not necessarily planning to get back there this year, but I look forward to checking this out next time I go. I hope the long-rumored RMC coaster is still on for 2014. It certainly seems plausible to me.

I wondered about the barnstormer. When I saw it, I looked all over Zamperla's website but it's not there (probably discontinued). So getting a used one makes sense.

The major ride looks insane!

Pretty cool. If it will be anything like the one that used to be at Flamingoland my feelings are mixed. I think I prefer regular frisbees, but if the restraints were a bit more comfortable it would have been a lot better. I remember it being an interesting experience at least. In any case it's a sweet investment, and the package will definitely breath some life into this park.

Hopefully these new giant upside down Frisbees work better than the Evolution Flat Rides!

Haha, I forgot all about those rides! I actually saw the one at SFGAdv run once. It was like spotting Bigfoot!

Seems like a cool addition for Silverwood. I still need to visit this park some day.

dt

^I witnessed Excaliber at Six Flags St. Louis in action; of course, they were a bit delayed because someone puked in one of the gondolas, but it did run.

I wish Silverwood good luck with the inverting Frisbee.

Evolutions are some of my all time favorite flat rides. The one that runs on the RCS Fair Circut throughout the Southwest US is a total blast and still remains one of the most terrifying experiences ever on a carnival ride.

If these VISA Inverting flats are anything like Evolutions (minus the seat rotation aspect) then they'll be a blast.

Evolutions are some of my all time favorite flat rides. The one that runs on the RCS Fair Circut throughout the Southwest US is a total blast and still remains one of the most terrifying experiences ever on a carnival ride.

Completely agreed, as I can say the same for the Butler Amusements one!

Barring any serious mechanical issues, I don't see how this new ride could be anything but great.

Yeah, this ride looks great. Certainly, I feel, better than the Evolution, I find them a bit outdated, now, (used to like them more) and claustrophobic with the safety cage around you, with the only thrill being upside down high up rather than any g forces on the body. Plus, the long rush of blood to the head can be a bit much.

I love the swinging pendulum rides more. The forces and potential heights, (at least the big versions in Europe) make them very dynamic, combining what the Evolution brings with some g forces. They do have versions that make the full circuit. One thing I've noticed about the traveling types that do go upside down, with the free swinging seats, ie. KMG Inversion, they are not run very well in the US. If the operator lets the seats swing free at all, it is only for a very short time, making that innovation a novelty and not a major part of the ride experience like it should be. Keeping it simple with a Frisbee going over sounds like a safe and fun bet. Being open to the sky, that is a thrill.

Excalibur was a fun ride though it spun a bit too fast for my liking. I think what scared me more were the creaks and moans it makes as the arm makes its revolution.

Glad to see an inverting Frisbee coming to the U.S.. It's awesome that these smaller parks are investing in unique rides.

They do have versions that make the full circuit. One thing I've noticed about the traveling types that do go upside down, with the free swinging seats, ie. KMG Inversion, they are not run very well in the US. If the operator lets the seats swing free at all, it is only for a very short time, making that innovation a novelty and not a major part of the ride experience like it should be. Keeping it simple with a Frisbee going over sounds like a safe and fun bet. Being open to the sky, that is a thrill.

I thought Martin's Fantasy Island ran their Mind Warp (Technical Park Loop Fighter) pretty well. That ride is insane!

Seems like a good addition. Not worth going back to the park and visiting just for these rides but it should be a nice addition to Silverwood

I hope the long-rumored RMC coaster is still on for 2014. It certainly seems plausible to me.

I also hope for this within the next two years, especially with me doing a mini West Coast tip within the next few years with some buds

Not to steal any thunder from this new ride, but someone posted this on Silverwood's FB...

So, when's that rumored record breaking RMC coaster coming?

And, unlike most parks that would ignore a comment like this, Silverwood liked it...

Not to steal any thunder from this new ride, but someone posted this on Silverwood's FB...

So, when's that rumored record breaking RMC coaster coming?

And, unlike most parks that would ignore a comment like this, Silverwood liked it...

If I was on Silverwood's PR team, I would like it too. Just to mess with enthusiasts.

^The picture shows it next to Timber Terror.

EDIT: I'm happy they added this, because they have 13 family flats (11 if you don't count the log flume and Thunder Canyon, but the majority of people that go on those rides are families. Also, this number will increase to 14 when they build Barnstormer) and 6 kids flats, but only 2 thrill flats (Panic Plunge and Sky Diver). This will help their thrill flat number.

After this, I think the next new additions will either be new waterpark stuff and then roller coaster, or vice-versa.

• 3 weeks later...