TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Top Thrill Dragster

What was your feelings about Top Thrill Dragster when you rode?  

125 members have voted

1. 1. What was your feelings about Top Thrill Dragster when you rode?

• Chickened out and went to Corkscrew
    • Very very very nervous, almost wet my pants, but I did it anyways
    • just really nervous
    • some what nervous
    • not nervous at all, just want to ride
    • happy, that it was actually open

A fun ride, glad that I got on it. Did not care for the restraints which pressed on my legs. I am especially prone to leg cramps and instead of being excited for the ride once I was harnessed, I was worried if my leg was goning to go into spasms instead. Never happened, but it was on my mind instead of just enjoying the ride outright. Same thing happened on PKI's Son Of Beast, but the leg cramps were the least of it. My head throbbed instead. I still like the ride, but 2 rides per visit is PLENTY.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, TTD was a dissapointment. It wasn't the most forceful launch I had ever felt (that award goes to either Hypersonic, Dodonpa, or XLR8R) and I thought the twisty drop was kind of lame. And the ride was over in 16 seconds. Not at ALL worth the 7 hours we waited for it.

I *MUCH* prefer the straight down drop on XLR8R and Storm Runner.

--Robb "I'd rather ride MF" Alvey

Anyway. I "liked" TTD. It was great for a quick rush. But yes, it is way overhyped and not worth any wait over an hour. I rather go on another ride on Millie!

I was pretty excited to ride TTD because it was my 100th coaster. I also was one of the first riders on it because I did the Red Cross first riders for charity event. I was only able to ride it once that day, but I remember a great joy riding it. I think that may have been colored by the fact it was my 100th coaster and I was one of the first riders on it. At around 10 am when the GP was let in, the line was 4 hours long already! I didn't get to ride it again and I haven't rode it again since, but I wonder what I would think of TTD now that the hype for it has died down.

I have ridden Xcelerator and Storm Runner since. I think I like them both better than TTD. Storm Runner has a lot more elements than TTD. Xcelerator has a better feel on the way down. I think I got some airtime on the way down from the tophat!

I like TTD, but considering that the only launched coasters I've been on are Hulk, Wicked Twister, and Dragster, there's not much to compare to. The secret to short lines is to stay on-site and then get into the park at 9 AM. There'll be a stampede for Dragster, but the 15 minute wait is nothing compared to what you'll wait for in the afternoon.

But nooooo, CP decided not to open Dragster early this year. Bummer.

i thought TTD was fun. wasnt the greatest ride but the overall experience was exhilerating. the countdown to launch, the fear of it breaking down, made for a pretty memorable experience. You gotta love the lapbars though. Thats the best part - a 400 ft vertical decent with lapbars. we may not see anything like that anymore and if we do, well have shoulder restraints.

I just want to actually ride the effing thing! It broke down the day before I went to CP back in '03 (the day it actually broke down was on my birthday, the day the cable frayed and people were slightly injured), so I never got to ride it.

I liked Top Thrill Dragster but thought that it was overatted a bit. I mean its a good ride and a bit scary, but its so short and by the time you set your lips up to scream.. its all over and then you are back into the station.

I liked the ride, but will also admit that it is over rated. I didn't find the launch that intense, but it is the most intense launch I have been on, I just know there has to be launches out there such as the S&S's and Xcelerator which pack a bit more of a punch, or as some put it a kick in the chest. If there isn't a huge wait, sure its worth a ride, and it is an adrenaline rush, there's just so much more you can do with a launch ride than go up and down.

I don't see how anyone can find Dragster's launch "tame", the ride is an all out adrenaline rush that pushes current ride technology to the limit. As for being nervous to ride, no. I was excited because this was most insane ride I had ever seen, I just remember being really pumped up and going crazy when it was over, even if it was short, I didn't and still don't care.

I have not ridden TTD personally, but after watching many video variations I think I would ride it just to say "I've survived the Most-over-rated ride"..lol

I personally LOVED Xcelerator @KBF. It's not the tallest nor the fastest, but an overall good quality ride.

I would be curious to add a hypothetical ponder that TTD should convert towards the air-compressed launche variation (ala-S&S) and see if people would change their perception then (as well as TTD have less down time..lol)

I have realized that people that like length and airtime have considered it overrated, but the people who really need an adrenaline rush love it. IMO, the adrenaline rush is what TTD is all about. What's the point of riding it for the length and the airtime? You can get airtime on a drop tower and length on a car trip. That's the purpose of coasters. If you don't see that, then you are riding them for the wrong reason.

Personally, I loved TTD. The launch was not what I expected and was much better than Magnum XL-200. Magnum has no real adrenaline rush and the restraints hurt.

The first time I went to Cedar Point was during TTD's first season, and of course it was closed the entire weekend. When I went last summer, it was open and operating the whole weekend. I was beyond excited to ride it. When I saw it testing while waiting in line at the parking lot, I was jumping around the car. The only time I was nervous was sitting at the station, waiting for the launch. It was one hell of an adrenaline rush, something I've never experienced on any other roller coaster. It gets my thumbs up.

While I feel the ride was WAY overhyped I make sure to ride it every time I'm at the point. It's fun, and worth it if you get the handstamp.

I like Kingda Ka better because the surrounding area and the extra hill, but I definately appreciate the lap bars on TTD.

• 8 months later...

ok i feel like a loser because i have never ridden a coaster that speeds up. i have only ridden a coaster with a chain lift and the tallest i've been on is goliath at sfmm. it feels like I want to go on top thrill dragster's track, sit there, and get run over by the trains at 120 mph. i need to ride superman the escape at least...

-arneil

Well seems as it's been bumped

I was actually laughing like crazy when I got on TTD, I think I was just happy I fit (may have had an embarrassing MF incident earlier).

It's a good ride, but to be honest I'd take Magnum XL-200 over it any day.

When I first got there, I was not nervous to ride it, though it was very intimidating....to everyone I think....I mean, just look at the crowd it draws in the bleachers and people just stop and look at it in amazement.....but when I accually got on the ride and we pulled out on the launch track, and saw the train infront of us launch.....I got nervous....in a good way....like a really excited nervous. But after the ride was over....dear God....it was amazing

First time, waited about 20 minutes... Fast yes, high, yes, exciting yeah. Although, if EVERYONE could ride it the way I did the second time...

The following day, TTD finally reopened about 20 minutes prior to park close. We strolled up and were second in line for row 1. Took the train ahead of us 2 launches to get over the top. We strap in, stage, LAUNCH. Front seat (where we were) made it just to the peak, then got yanked backward. Second launch we made it a bit further. Third launch a bit further still. After the THIRD roll back a few people wanted to get off and that was the ticket to send us over the top.

FRONT ROW for FOUR consecutive launches... What a fantastic way to end our visit to Cedar Point. For the majority of the day, it rained and we were actually planning to leave a lot earlier and get a head start driving southward to PKI, but decided to give it one last shot. Woo Hoo!!!