TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best And Worst Coaster In California

Best steel - I'd probably tie between Batman at SFMM and Flight Deck at PGA.

I'll probably hear all kinds of horrible things said about me and my mother over this one, but I'd have to give worst steel in California to Matterhorn Bobsleds, with it's current set of sleds. My favorite ride at the entire Disneyland Resort is now a ride that I don't even consider riding; I'd consider what was done to it as bad if not worse than what Six Flags did to Revolution (I still occasionally ride that).

Best wood - I still give to Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz Beach Boardwalk

Worst wood - Grizzly; even Ghostrider at it's worst is at least semi-thrilling in a "I hope my back will forgive me for this" kind of way.

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never been to the Northern California parks, so this judgement is based off of the coasters at KBF, SFMM, Seaworld, Legoland, and Castle Park.

Best Steel: Xcelerator. Enough said.

Best Wood: I've only been on 3 woodies in Cali, but I'm going with Apocalypse. Crazy fun from the lift to the brakes!

Worst Steel: Pony Express. It's short (as in length), has no intensity, has uncomfortable restraints, and is generally a waste of space at Knott's.

Worst Wood: Colossus. Although it is VERY smooth compared to Apocalypse and Ghost Rider, the layout is boring, slow-paced, and the lap bars are heavy and painful.

What used to be one of the best is now one of the worst. Revolution

I haven't been back to CA in a while, so can't fairly say what is my current favorite. But Giant Dipper at Santa Cruz was one of the best when I was there!

I'd have to give worst steel in California to Matterhorn Bobsleds, with it's current set of sleds. My favorite ride at the entire Disneyland Resort is now a ride that I don't even consider riding

For someone who's never been on Matterhorn, what is so bad about it now? I've always heard great reports about it.

After riding Gold Striker, it's now taken over my best wood coaster in California. However, if they ever completely re-tracked Ghost Rider, or gave Colossus the iron treatment it would probably lose it's place.

For someone who's never been on Matterhorn, what is so bad about it now? I've always heard great reports about it.

New trains make your spine feel every bump and jolt in the track. Previous incarnation was much easier on the bones.

• 2 months later...
Best Steel: Xcelerator

Worst Steel: Green Lantern

Best Wood: Gold Striker

Worst Wood: Grizzly

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

However, as much as I hate to admit it, I think GhostRider is now the worst wooden coaster in CA.

Grizzly was nearly as smooth as Gold Striker when I was at CGA a couple weekends ago.

Worst Steel: Green Lantern

Worst Wood: Grizzly

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

However, as much as I hate to admit it, I think GhostRider is now the worst wooden coaster in CA.

Grizzly was nearly as smooth as Gold Striker when I was at CGA a couple weekends ago.

I like GhostRider a lot more than Grizzly because GhostRider is more exciting, even though it is very rough.

Having ridden every major coaster in CA except Manta (hopefully this November,) this is my general conclusion.

Best Steel: Either Flight Deck or X2

Best Wooden- Goldy

Worst Steel: Kong

Worst Wood: Ghostrider

2013 rankings:

Worst Steel: Revolution or Kong

Worst Wood: Ghostrider

I agree with everybody else that if Ghostrider was even 75% of it's original glory it would still be the best wooden coaster in CA. But since I don't see that happening anytime soon it's the worst.

My list has defiantly changed since the last time I posted-

Worst Steel: Kong

Worst Wood: Grizzly (But I would say Roar is getting really close, that thing has gotten ROUGH.)

On a side note, whats going on with all the hate for Green Lantern? I really like that ride and all though I understand why someone might not like it, I don't get why people would put as low as the worst in the entire state.

best steel for me:x2(look at the username)

worst steel: Green lantern(currently sits in my second to last steel slot only ahead of vortex at pki)

best wood: apocalypse(just really fun all the way to the end looking forward to some power riding during wcb)

worst wood: ghostider(so frustrating to me because the layout is great but the ride is so rough it sucks the fun out of it)

Best Steel: Goliath? Xcelerator?

Worst Steel: Green Lantern or X2. I really am not a fan of the flipping forward and back I guess. On X2 my calves get beat up bouncing around. Green Lantern was headache city. I admit, we were severely weight biased on my side and flipped a lot. So, basically, every flip was a head bang.

Best Wood: Apocalypse...haven't ridden Gold Striker yet.

Worst Wood: Ghostrider Used to easily be my favorite. It killed me last time I rode.