TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best And Worst Coaster In California

• 7 months later...
  • Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Favorite steel: X2 (By far), Tatsu, Hurricane (That last one is a sentimental pick admittedly)

Worst steel: There honestly isn't one I dislike..Boomerang (SFDK) would probably be lowest on my list of favorites.

Favorite woodie: Giant Dipper (By far), Apocalypse, Colossus

Worst woodie: Roar, Grizzly, Psyclone

• 2 months later...
^GhostRider was fun for a while (it was one of my favorite woodies), but when maintenance lagged, it got brutal fast.

Pity, because it would be a really solid woodie if it wasn't torturous to ride.

I would swear I'm the only one left alive who LOVES Ghost Rider. I rode it for the first time in March 2011 (first ever visit to SoCal) and rode that thing at least 10 times switching between the front and back rows. I never found it to be overly rough or slow. It was an old-school rough and tumble woodie. It let you know who was in charge but didn't kill you, kind of like Wildcat at Hershey. Also, the airtime in the backseat coming off of the mid-course was terrifying.

Best Steel: Tie between Tatsu and Superman Ultimate Flight

Worst Steel: Kong (and sadly it's the best SLC I've been on)

Best Wood: Giant Dipper @ SCBB

Worst Wood: Grizzly (but honestly I like all the woodies in CA, Grizzly is just the tamest of the bunch).

This topic is making me come to the sad realization that CA is full of mediocre coasters, nothing great (X2 is overrated) but nothing overly terrible. I guess I always knew... but i just didn't want to admit it.

Best steel: Xcelerator or Superman:EFK

Worst steel: Matterhorn (AWFUL) or Green Lantern:FF

Best wood: Apocalypse hands down. This thing hauls serious ass at night and has a pretty decent amount of airtime (2nd to Thunderhead for GCI's)

Worst wood: Grizzly or Ghostrider but at least GR has an interesting layout and would be fun if it was smooth

• 4 weeks later...

Best Steel: Xcelerator. I think that Xcelerator is CA's only very good steel coaster, the rest are just good. Though, it's not great. I think X2 is over-rated as it really isn't that intense and all it does is flop you around. X2 is my 2nd favorite steel because CA has a mediocre steel collection.

Worst Steel: Green Lantern. GL tries to kill you when you have a good spin.

Best Wood: Apocalypse. This is CA's only very good wooden coaster. Again, it's not great.

Worst Wood: I have no worst wood as I enjoy all of them. Maybe this will change when I get my Giant Dipper (SD) credit in a few weeks.

You can see my top 6 coasters in California on my signature.

Edited by XYZ

Best steel: Tatsu (Runner-up Flight Deck. This coaster doesn't get enough praise. So what if it's short.)

Worst steel: Kong

Best wood: Ghostrider (even though it's a shadow of its old self, I still slightly prefer it to Apocalypse and Giant Dipper)

Worst wood: Grizzly

• 6 months later...
Favorite steel: X2 (By far), Tatsu, Hurricane (That last one is a sentimental pick admittedly)

Worst steel: There honestly isn't one I dislike..Boomerang (SFDK) would probably be lowest on my list of favorites.

Favorite woodie: Giant Dipper (By far), Apocalypse, Colossus

Worst woodie: Roar, Grizzly, Psyclone

My favorites have changed significantly since my last post..

Favorite Steel: Superman: Ultimate Flight (SFDK), Tatsu (SFMM), Green Lantern (SFMM)

Favorite Wood: Gold Rusher (CGA), Giant Dipper (SCBB)

X2 is on the disabled list of my picks until it stops trying to kill me.