TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best And Worst Coaster In California

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I only visited some parks during my California visit last summer my vote is somewhat limited in experience....

Best: X2 and - as a proud Schwarzkopf fanboy - Montezooma's Revenge

Worst: GhostRider

Scream and Riddlers Revenge are also great coasters - especially Scream will always be remembered as they trained new staff with two trains and no crowds when I was there resulting in an hour of non-stop riding....

On Tatsu the restraints were pushing against my lower belly which tunred it for me into "fartcoaster" so I dont liked it that much - only did it once. And Revolution was ruined with OTSRs....

Best Steel: Tatsu, X2 and Scream (Why is scream so underrated? Its never mentioned in peoples best lists of california. I love that ride!)

Best Wood: Apocalypse

Worst Steel: Viper

Worst Wood: Ghostrider

Scream isn't mentioned because Medusa (SFDK) is 100 times better.

Hmmk I havent ridden Medusa yet.

Best steel: X2, Tatsu, Medusa (in that order for me). Xcelerator is also very fun.

Best wood: Apocalypse

Worst steel: Boomerang SFDK or Vortex CGA. IMO Kong is better than both of these. Kong is still a very rough coaster but it can be semi-enjoyable if you ride it in such a way to minimize head-banging.

Worst wood: Grizzly.

Best steel: X2

Worst steel: Pony Express

Best wood: Apoc, old Ghostrider

Worst wood: Grizzly, Ghostrider today

Up until this year, Ghostrider has always been rough, but still rideable. Now, it is almost completely unrideable; even the pre-lift section hurts. It is probably rougher than Mean Streak at the moment.

Best Steel: Medusa (SFDK)

Best Wood: Roar (SFDK) (I never rode Apocalypse, and that is probably better)

Worst Steel: Vortex (CGA) (By the mile)

Worst Wood: Giant Dipper (SCBB) (Yes, I think the Grizzly is MUCH better than the Giant Dipper)

• 2 weeks later...

Worst Wood: Giant Dipper (SCBB) (Yes, I think the Grizzly is MUCH better than the Giant Dipper)

Um, are you sure? Its one of my top ten coasters.

Umm...

Come down to San Diego and ride the SD Giant Dipper before saying that.

I've been on every wooden coaster in California, and currently here's how they stack up:

Best Wooden: Ghostrider and Apocalypse because of their out of control and airtime delivering rides.

Worst Wooden: Grizzly and SD Giant Dipper, mainly because of those God-awful Morgan Wooden trains...they just don't ride track well.

Best Steel: X2 or Tatsu because of their overall impressive ride experiences.

Hi Miler can be considered a close second because no coaster comes close to delivering the insane, out of control, ejector airtime experience that thing had.

Worst Steel: Tough one... but probably Kong. I still like the ride, but it is the worst experience in CA.

^SD Giant Dipper would be a much better coaster without the crap rolling stock. They lost the P&C Century Flyer trains when it went SBNO for about 15 years.

Even with the Morgan trains, there are some pretty decent moments on the ride; Grizzly just doesn't really have anything going for it.