TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

RIP Mindbender at West Edmonton Mall

How hard would it be to move this bad boy to another park?  I never got the chance to ride but I've heard nothing but raves about it.  I have to imagine the structure is partially incorporated into the building itself, though, right?  If it's actually a standalone coaster maybe we can convince Indiana Beach to grow their garden, so to speak.

37 minutes ago, KBrylczyk said:

How hard would it be to move this bad boy to another park?  I never got the chance to ride but I've heard nothing but raves about it.  I have to imagine the structure is partially incorporated into the building itself, though, right?  If it's actually a standalone coaster maybe we can convince Indiana Beach to grow their garden, so to speak.

From reviewing pictures on RCDB, it doesn't look like there's any special structural considerations for the location.  Given that this appears to be a mirror image of Quimera, maybe IB could put them back to back?

• Haha 2

I really, really hope its getting sold off and not getting scrapped.   Whats the reason they are removing it?  It cant be for parts replacement, because there are other coaster companies out there that can work on Schwarzkopfs.  Hell they can even give new trains.  

We've been trying to figure out was there any notice to this removal and we just missed it or was this kind of out of the blue?  Seems like they could have made an easy years worth of rent had they announced this and all the coaster people would have made the trek!

I will add to what others have said, it was an amazing and crazy intense ride.  I do have to wonder though, can you imagine in this day and age had a roller coaster derailed and killed three people I can't imagine it would be back open six months later!!??  And then stayed open another 30 years after that!

Here's our video from our one visit a long time ago featuring the even more insane backwards car as well! 

• Like 7

David's and my original travel plans were to drive down to California in September ..... of 2001. Needless to say, the plans had to change, and we ended up doing a road trip to Alberta, visiting both Calgary and Edmonton. Glad we did, and I was especially proud of myself, for talking David into riding Mindbender with me.

RIP MB

MindbenderCoasterBill_DavidOct.01alt.jpg.3e2c04100f4fc40d3dc58771f4a6fbea.jpg

This coaster has never been exposed to the weather so even though it's 30 something years old it's gotta be in good shape.  I really hope it doesn't get turned into scrapped metal and that somebody steps up and relocates it.  Apparently back in 85 the coaster was first erected outside and then they built the walls and ceiling around it!

• Like 1

I can't find it on any of the many used ride sites.  They would usually still list it if it recently sold.  

According to the park, it looks like Hasbroland is taking over the spot of Mindbender.

https://www.wem.ca/play/attractions/galaxyland

"Galaxyland Powered by Hasbro is the only Hasbro theme park in Canada

North America's largest indoor amusement park features more than 27 exhilarating rides and play areas for all ages.

A total of three and a half acres of family-friendly rides will be transformed into an amusement park wonderland for all fans of Hasbro, a global play and entertainment company, and its powerhouse brands by 2023."

"Galaxyland announces closure of the Mindbender

Edmonton, AB (January 30th,2023) - Galaxyland has confirmed the closure of the Mindbender, the world’s largest indoor triple loop roller coaster.

“The iconic Mindbender has been the park’s premier thrill ride since the grand opening in 1985,” said Lori Bethel, Vice President of Parks and Attractions. “While the Mindbender will be missed, we are excited to announce that we are working on groundbreaking new plans for family thrills that will immerse our guests in an out-of-this-world experience.”

Galaxyland has started the redevelopment of the area with the decommissioning and removal of the Mindbender. Please watch Official West Edmonton Mall on social media for updates and teasers in the coming months."

This is news is definitely a little surprising but apparently it has not been running for the last little while. I kind of want to say that when they moth balled it due to COVID they just didn't want to put in the money to get it up and running again. @SharkTums I really don't think they gave it even the slightest consideration they maybe making it known would attach anyone here to make sure they got a ride in on it. Knowing the company that is responsible for the Mall (Triple 5), they are not known for going above and beyond. It is possible that the structure is still in good shape, it has been indoors all it life after all. But I would bet good money that it is just going to the scrap heap. Really a shame. 

• Like 1

Several parks nearby could definetly buy it.  Calaway Park 2 hours south in Calgary could definetly erect it.  PNE Playland in Vancouver or La Ronde for god's sake in the spot they used to have the corkscrew coaster, just to name a few Canadian parks!  Of course several US parks should try to get their hand on it.  It's a very good roller coaster.  Too good to be scrapped.  Been INDOORS 37 years!!

• Like 1

I've lived in Edmonton my whole life, so I've ridden this thing like 100 times. Over the years it's gotten really rough, and the weird shoulder restraints are that hard black foam stuff, so you walk off the ride feeling like you got punched in both ears and shoulders a bunch of times, especially on the back car or even the middle one. This is literally the only big rollercoaster anywhere in this whole half side of Canada, and I don't even like riding it anymore cause of how painful it is. I don't enjoy rough coasters though. I'm guessing it would have to be re-tracked to fix the roughness, and they don't wanna put the money into it. Galaxyland is a really small park with limited space, and it has 2 other rollercoasters packed in there already. They're family coasters, but I'd still rather ride them over the Mindbender. In summary, I wouldn't say we're losing a real gem here. Just my opinion though, don't crucify me for beaking a classic schwarzkopf haha

• Thanks 1

I'm not gonna linger long because honestly, my desire to be involved in this hobby is gone and probably never coming back. The Mindbender is something I rode and I'll readily admit that it was a source of enormous "anticippointment" - I hated the accordion restraints and realized people had just made up stories about them being better/different than other attractions like Taz's Texas Tornado. But there were the bones of something very good there.

In honestly, the real reason to even interject myself here is just to say somewhere online that Mindbender going away is just part and parcel of what feels like a kind of "end" for that generation of attractions. A lot of stuff that was a big deal domestically and abroad when I got into the hobby - The Ultimate, Montana Rusa from Mexico, Mindbender, countless giant wood coasters, Big Bad Wolf, Eagle's Fortress - all that stuff is gone. What's taken its place is honestly "better" in terms of dynamics, pacing, forces, and such, but I find it to feel much more generic and interchangeable. There's less weird when every coaster is built by one of every 6-7 firms and there's 20 examples of everything. And what is "weird" now often has no positive, good properties. Screaming Squirrels are weird but they suck. 

But then again, if I think everything sucks, maybe the Screaming Squirrel is actually fun. And that's why it is time for me to move on.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, DirkFunk said:

I'm not gonna linger long because honestly, my desire to be involved in this hobby is gone and probably never coming back. The Mindbender is something I rode and I'll readily admit that it was a source of enormous "anticippointment" - I hated the accordion restraints and realized people had just made up stories about them being better/different than other attractions like Taz's Texas Tornado. But there were the bones of something very good there.

In honestly, the real reason to even interject myself here is just to say somewhere online that Mindbender going away is just part and parcel of what feels like a kind of "end" for that generation of attractions. A lot of stuff that was a big deal domestically and abroad when I got into the hobby - The Ultimate, Montana Rusa from Mexico, Mindbender, countless giant wood coasters, Big Bad Wolf, Eagle's Fortress - all that stuff is gone. What's taken its place is honestly "better" in terms of dynamics, pacing, forces, and such, but I find it to feel much more generic and interchangeable. There's less weird when every coaster is built by one of every 6-7 firms and there's 20 examples of everything. And what is "weird" now often has no positive, good properties. Screaming Squirrels are weird but they suck. 

But then again, if I think everything sucks, maybe the Screaming Squirrel is actually fun. And that's why it is time for me to move on.

No I completely agree with most of that, the newer stuff is by and large "better" but it is considerably less "interesting". RMC's are all great but they're all kind of the same. It's not a bad thing by any means, it's great to have a smooth, intense, dynamic, (mostly) reliable coaster at every park in America, but when everyone has one none of them feel like a as much of a unique destination I guess.

I will say there is still some newer "weird" out there and I always appreciate that. Cannibal at Lagoon, the wooden shuttle coaster in Texas, the new Tilt coaster coming to Austin although there may be a dozen of those across the globe 10 years from now. Guardians at Epcot is pretty unique but certainly on a different scale, but something like the new Uncharted ride in Spain or even the Darkastle conversion at BGW are pretty interesting projects.

As far as Mindbender, I never got to ride it but it was definitely a "bucketlist" type coaster for me. I will say I never really understood the appeal of Schwarzkopf's, been on several, they're all fine and good but nothing that was ever close to a Top 10 or 20 ride for me. It is sad to them permanently removed, but if Indiana Beach successfully reopens Quimera then hey that'll be some  old school new weirdness in the coaster world.

• Like 1

I rode Mindbender back in the summer of 2001 on a family vacation. Both of my parents are teachers and that year my sister and I both got to choose one place to stop on a cross-country road trip. My sister chose the West Edmonton Mall because it was the biggest mall in the world (I might’ve had some influence in her decision because I knew there was a giant Schwarzkopf there) and I chose Cedar Point, which was my first ever visit there. Our trip started in Northern California, up to Edmonton and ended at Cedar Point before heading back home. We spent a good four weeks total on the trip stopping at other sights along the way. 

Keeping in mind that this was mere months before 9/11, I look back on that trip often as the last truly carefree time in my life. To a 15 year old at the height of his “coaster enthusiasm”, it was the most epic summer ever, and Mindbender didn’t disappoint. The first drop in the back car I swear is still in my top 10 “WTF moments” especially in that backward car. I think I rode it 10 times that day while the rest of my family did their rounds at the mall. I also remember that Intamin first gen freefall they used to operate with a bonkers pop of ejector airtime when the lift stopped almost instantaneously at the top. 

I always intended to make another trip there and try to re-experience some of those carefree memories. Something about Mindbender made me think that it would always be there so I never thought it was that urgent. Maybe I figured it was an indoor ride and would stay in good shape forever. Just goes to show that in this hobby there is no time like the present and nothing is guaranteed. 

• Like 8

I rode it too in 2001 and my experience was just WOW.  It was intense.  And the engineering in the transitions was great, I mean flawless if you compare those Schwarzkopf coasters with Arrow!  Plus although it's bad, I guess knowing what happened with that coaster when it was new added to the, huh, I don't know what to call it!  You knew this coaster was forceful.

14 hours ago, DirkFunk said:

Move down the street from Mount Olympus or Holiday World and you will get all the rib adjusting excite you have been missing.  Old brutal wooden roller coasters still exist and luckily for you, are not popular with the rest of us so short lines for you!

10 hours ago, SoCalJasonland said:

Move down the street from Mount Olympus or Holiday World and you will get all the rib adjusting excite you have been missing.  Old brutal wooden roller coasters still exist and luckily for you, are not popular with the rest of us so short lines for you!

I rode all the coasters I could ever want and then some. I'm good right now. I might be good forever. You don't need to take a victory lap. Just be happy I'm not occupying space in the line. 

• Like 1

The coaster has its own structure and is not attached to the mall's structure.  Apparently it will be dismantled and not cut up so perhaps it will hit the used rides market.  It is in need of some structural repairs (cracks?  minor?) and some work to the trains.  It is possible it sees a new home!  Knoebels please!!!!!!

The mindbender would be so inferior to anything that is currently at Knoebels. That is 100% not the place that this ride should end up. One of the best wooden rollercoasters in the world does not need the  MindBender. Knoebles is a gem just the way it is.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3