TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

2021 TPR Coaster Poll Results!

10 minutes ago, DBru said:

Most interesting to me this year is the placement of Twisted Colossus. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a really fun ride...but it's definitely a "mid-tier" RMC for me. Plus, it sits on a parking lot. I'm kind of shocked to see it ahead of Steel Vengeance (and Fury...and I305) in the Steel Poll.

Agreed.  I found Twisted Colossus to rather sub-par, and really only better than Wicked Cyclone out of the 5 RMCs I've been on.

8 minutes ago, KI Kidd said:

Thanks for all your hard work!

Am I missing the Indiana Beach woodies? Or is there a particular reason they aren't present? 

They're there, just way down the list (where they should be, honestly).

Cornball Express is #214
Superstition Mountain is #366
Hoosier Hurricane is #395

I am so glad people had to ride the coaters before voting. If not I would not have rated Twisted Cyclone in my top 100. POV and videos will not give you the right force of this ride on a hot summer day. It deserves the 27th spot. 

I am glad that Coaster @Playland(PNE) got a spot in the top 25 wooden coasters.

It definitely deserves to be there, among the other 24. It does not disappoint.

But I didn't ride anything other than what was at my home park, last year.

Not enough to fill out a poll, IMhO. <sad>

Nice! As always thanks for the epic amount of work that must go into this! 

Results overall are not real surprising but as always the fun is in the detail, and there are some surprising individual results. That's why I love these! So easy to follow the hype, or the shit talk, that makes so much buzz but the results are the results...and that is what matters :) The mass opinion. 

Also can't lie always feels nice when rides you really think get unfairly disliked/lack of hype (like Twisted Colossus, Wicked Cyclone) get some love. Though TC  ahead of SV is a very unexpected result! With VC just opening, Iron Gwazi, Pantheon I am very curious for next year! Yall we live in great times, so many dope rides out there. 

• 1 month later...
15 hours ago, BPNJENSEN said:

Whoops - my bad - it appears way down the list, far below Boulderdash, which it just beats in the wood only category.  I fear I do not understand how this can mathematically occur.  

Maybe jump back just one page where this is explained?

On 3/11/2022 at 7:42 PM, BPNJENSEN said:

Whoops - my bad - it appears way down the list, far below Boulderdash, which it just beats in the wood only category.  I fear I do not understand how this can mathematically occur.  

I really don't think this has been explained. I didn't create the program but will give it a go. An example:

Person 1 rates El Toro #1, followed by 3 steel coasters and then Phoenix.
Person 2 rates Phoenix #1, followed by one wood coaster that no one else likes and then Toro.

In overall rankings, El Toro would beat Phoenix because the 3 steel coaster spread is larger than that one wood coaster. But in wood rankings, Phoenix wins because the steel coasters cease to exist. This is a simplification at best, but shows a system it could happen. If you pull out the woodies from the overall list, you get a result based on how people rate them relative to all coasters. However the actual woodie list assumes the order in peoples' rankings wouldn't change, but pulls out the steelies in advance and reruns the program from scratch. May seem flawed but it is more a true woodies list then.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2022 at 8:23 AM, boldikus said:

I know, I saw that section - but it leaves out quite a lot of detail as to how a wooden coaster that beats another woodie on ONE list can fall behind that woodie on another list.  If possible, I would like to better understand how the algorithm makes this possible AND an accurate representation of of the actual feeling in the coaster community.  Note - this is not a dealbreaker for me, because after all it is a fun hobby with no set rules. More a matter of curiosity than anything else.  

2 hours ago, bill_s said:

I really don't think this has been explained. I didn't create the program but will give it a go. An example:

Person 1 rates El Toro #1, followed by 3 steel coasters and then Phoenix.
Person 2 rates Phoenix #1, followed by one wood coaster that no one else likes and then Toro.

In overall rankings, El Toro would beat Phoenix because the 3 steel coaster spread is larger than that one wood coaster. But in wood rankings, Phoenix wins because the steel coasters cease to exist. This is a simplification at best, but shows a system it could happen. If you pull out the woodies from the overall list, you get a result based on how people rate them relative to all coasters. However the actual woodie list assumes the order in peoples' rankings wouldn't change, but pulls out the steelies in advance and reruns the program from scratch. May seem flawed but it is more a true woodies list then.

Ah - so that is one possible explanation.  The poll relies on the number of times a coaster beats another compared coaster in that category, whether the category all is all, woo does or steel.   I guess I can see how that would work, although it still makes me wonder whether it can accurately assess the true mean feeling of the respondents.   When the categories have been only either wood or steel, it makes more sense - but when you mix them up, it becomes a bit nebulous.  

• 6 months later...