TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

SFMM - Viper, max # of trains…

Happy Holidays, everyone! 
 If my instincts are correct, I am sure that one of the wonderful people will have an answer to my query, lol!   While the coaster was designed to operate with a max. of 3 trains;  Am I mistaken my belief that the right have a manufactured with a total of 4 trains?  I believe I read somewhere… Unfortunately, I cannot recall the stores that provided me with this information… Nevertheless, but viper as well as ninja have spare trees that were the actors back up in the event that won’t have to be taken out of service for any reason. I have aerial photograph of Viper taken during  the mid to 2000’s We can clearly seen that there are a total of four trains- 3 resting on the storage tracks; and one on the actual transfer track itself.    While I’m fully aware the color schemes change over time, if I recall… the color schemes for the trains were as follows:

1: Green with a yellow pinstripe

2. Green with an orange pinstripe

3.  Green with a red pinstripe

4. Green with a gold pinstripe

This is a silly question I’m sure… But I need help is appreciated…

Thanks again and have a wonderful holiday all!

CJM

Shockwave at Great America also had 4; 2 red and 2 yellow (one later painted blue).  Six Flags really pushed capacity back in the day; especially cared about customer service and didn't have pay-to-cut.  Magic Mountain always had extra trains on hand; Revolution had 6 and ran 5.  Colossus was built and intended to run 10 (!?!) but only ended up ever running 6 at a time.

Related... at Great America, we had 3 on Demon - ran with out stacking.  American Eagle had 6 until a minor collision in 1985 (it was nice to always see 2 trains on the lift).  Whizzer ran up to 5, and still has 5 (rotating them in and out through awesome full-rehabs every year; there were 3 on the track this November).  I've always said Great America was the one hold-out for at least trying for good ops.

Viper could have run 4, but Arrow sometimes designed very short blocks and brake-runs.  Like Tennesee Tornado; they only run one because stopping a second on that stupid-short brake run "tears everything up."

One more thing on Viper, Love it!  Happy it's still here - without those wretched rubber vests (I know some people like those).  Rode Viper in May, during the 3 hours I could stand at Magic Mountain.  Mostly there for X2, Revolution and Ninja.  I like old sh*t :)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JT325 said:

I've always said Great America was the one hold-out for at least trying for good ops.

Hey now, Great Adventure tries too, running all trains possible on everything except Mine Train (2 out of 3 possible) and Kingda Ka (1 or 2 out of 4 possible) haha.

• Thanks 1

I believe Viper & G.A.S.M were only designed to have 3 on the track at a time, after SF & Arrow saw that 4 wasn't working super well with Shockwave, and Viper only has 3 storage tracks. I'd bet the park has at least 4 trains for Viper after the prior two mega loopers closed, but usually 1-2 running with 1-2 on the storage track, and 4th somewhere else. 

I really like the ride in it's current state, and those Arrow trains look great & are so classic, but since my head clears the top of the restraint, I have zero headbanging issues compared to most people shorter than my 6'0". I think vest trains would be better for most riders and would improve/extended it's popularity, as well as preferably replacing track on some bad transitions & the bottom of the drop (the rapid jostling side-to-side there is actually the most uncomfortable part of the ride for me currently).

Viper can technically run 4 trains. There are two blocks outside the station (transfer track and brakes outside the station). They never will run more than 3 though.

Viper had 4 trains, gutted one for parts, and is now back to 4 thanks to inheriting one from another park that tore down their arrow looper. One is always slowly being refurbished in the cycle shop, so you will rarely see them all at the ride.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2021 at 8:58 AM, Mike240SX said:

Hey now, Great Adventure tries too, running all trains possible on everything except Mine Train (2 out of 3 possible) and Kingda Ka (1 or 2 out of 4 possible) haha.

I believe you my friend, I really do.  But I ain't goin back there for a long time.  2006 was the last time for me, it was a hideous visit.  So many Six Flags parks, I have written off.  Somewhere between "if you ain't got anything good to say then don't go," and preferring to spend my time and money on quality places (Knoebels, Holiday World, Disneyland, Little Amerricka, Knotts for example).  Keep the lines shorter for everyone else haha.

Maybe if I was with a great set of friends it wouldn't matter... but naw.  I wouldn't put em through my bitching.  I'd be happier dropped off at the McDonald's for the day.  And I don't eat McDonald's.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, JT325 said:

I believe you my friend, I really do.  But I ain't goin back there for a long time.  2006 was the last time for me, it was a hideous visit.  So many Six Flags parks, I have written off.  Somewhere between "if you ain't got anything good to say then don't go," and preferring to spend my time and money on quality places (Knoebels, Holiday World, Disneyland, Little Amerricka, Knotts for example).  Keep the lines shorter for everyone else haha.

Maybe if I was with a great set of friends it wouldn't matter... but naw.  I wouldn't put em through my bitching.  I'd be happier dropped off at the McDonald's for the day.  And I don't eat McDonald's.

Haha, I largely agree.  I have a sore spot for SFGAdv like you wouldn't believe.  As soon as I enter the parking lot this wave of desolation just washes over me.  So many unpleasant memories of my time working there...not to mention the Six Flags Experiences that I can't help but have every time I go back.  El Toro, Nitro, and Ka can't really counteract that.

• Haha 1

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks, all! I appreciate the feedback… I several view seed I do recall myself having read an article about Magic Mountain and it’s desire to have spare trains at the ready in the event that they were needed. If memory serves me correctly, I remember specifically viper and ninja both been mentioned as having 4 trains total ; yet,  both coasters  We’re capable of only running a maximum of three trains at any given time due to the lack system in place. ShockWave did in fact open with four trains;  the 1991 issue of ACE’s “Guide to Ride” publication backing-up this data. If I’m not mistaken, one of the “red”trains from ShockWave was shipped-off to Great Adventure - for use on the Scream Machine for the 1989 season.    In hindsight, relocating the spare to a park that would immediately benefit from its presence , was an more efficient use of resources. 

Back to Viper, I have a photograph taken a few seasons ago, when the coaster was getting repainted.   If you look closely at the transfer tracks, you can see four trains.  At first glance, there may only seem to be three… but, upon closer inspection, what appears to be only ONE train unbelievably long train - is instead TWO individual trains. 
(photo courtesy of Baynum Painting)

-CJM

5671CBC2-A78E-46B5-86DF-53FFF76D1C5F.jpeg

• Like 1

It’s such a great looking ride in a stunning location. I’m personally a giant Viper fanboy. Perhaps my favorite ride in the park some days depending on whether or not I get a dueling ride on Twisted Colossus. I do hope it’s around for a while longer - blows my mind that it’s the largest looper Arrow ever made and it’s somehow still standing when it’s clearly size that is this model’s downfall. 

• Like 1

^I echo your sentiments. While I understand it is likely not going to still be here in 10 years, I really hope it is. I adore the ride.

Also, on topic of the thread, I believe Viper received train donations from both Great American Scream Machine at SFGAdv and Ninja at SFOG, so each Viper train now is probably just a combination of parts from all over. I know Ninja also got train donations from XLR8 at Astroworld. Perhaps this is why those Arrow classics are still going strong.

• Like 1