TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Photo TR - Rocky Horror Picture Show

USRoadTripper

Last Friday night, the 28th, I went to a midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I've always loved going to live Rocky performances because it's just so much fun and so far off from how I normally act. I started going in college when we had a theater in the next town that showed it every week. Now it has gone to just two or three showings a year in a historic theater in Nashville. What this means is...

1) Since they are less often, new people sort of stack up and go to the few performances they have, which leaves the audience full of people who have never been before...

2) Since so many people have never been, there is far less interaction with the movie...

3) People go to these showings becasue they are events, not because they truly want to see Rocky in a theater. They go because it is something to do, not because it is truly an interest of theirs...

4) The above totally kills the mood for the old-timers who have been, know the interactions and want to have fun with likeminded people.

Basically, this year's show TOTALLY SUCKED!!! My guess is about 75% of the audience were virgins (people who have never seen the movie in a theater) which means that they were all just sitting there like knots on logs, looking confused and scared.

I went with my friend Ivan, who seemed reasonably into it, but he brought three friends who were total killjoys. They sat there, basically saying "I will *not* get up and dance. I will *not* sing along, and I flatly*refuse* to participate in any way." Why in the hell to you go to Rocky Horror with this attitude??? They looked at me the whole night like I was on drugs and that they were better than me because I was yelling, dancing, cursing and doing stuff that you are supposed to do at Rocky!

When it was time for the Virgin Initiation, every one of them refused to go to the front of the theater. What do they think we are gonna do to them? Frankly, I was pissed off at this point that they had such attitudes about it. When in Rome, y'know...you're there by choice, so don't sit there and be an ass and spoil it for everyone else. They wanted to go out after the show, but I didn't want to, so I just went home.

Because of this, I have almost no pictures from the night, but promised Robb I'd post what I had anyway. They all seemed so embarrassed to be there that they didn't want to be in any pictures.

Live and learn. I will go by myself next time.

me.jpg.79c5e6dcbb2ed7451638c5c32c29416a.jpg

Me. I look fabulous. Too bad the night didn't turn out better.

virgin.jpg.e89896b572f1308d7f216499ed640b83.jpg

The virgin initiation. I won't mention what *my* initiation was, but it was a hell of a lot more embarassing that popping a balloon between my legs! This girl was truly terrified...unbelievable.

cast.jpg.b7628c3867b3fcb3f1848dffc0452851.jpg

This is the cast. I think they could do a better job with casting, as I don't remember Frank being a fat chick. The leader guy is so hot, and after all these years, I still can't pinpoint why!

timewarp.jpg.b8720a70c0305a1c12c0f23e01e6fa48.jpg

Ivan halfhearted tries to do the Time Warp, as his friends make fun of everyone in the background.

lollipop.jpg.9bfc5bfbec47f11036711549b74c03cd.jpg

I find this photo disturbing, yet erotic.

ivanfriends.jpg.50123a3331186cb5c6cd4eadb641b3b9.jpg

Ivan and his friends, before the holier than thou attitudes started.

noisemaker.jpg.57488575124357d8c7eb1268c578f4f4.jpg

This blows. We bought prop bags, and they contained these noisemakers.

julieivan.jpg.0e72f322b9e6dd7bd2a12442d6bedafe.jpg

Ivan and I arrive for what I though would be a funfilled evening.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you posted the pics. Sorry your friends had to be assess. I don't think I've seen Rocky in the theater since probably 1988 or 1989. Wow! It's been a LOOOOOONG time!

--Robb "Cursing? There is Cursing at Rocky???" Alvey

See, I know to stay away from these things because I would be a big party pooper!

I've never been to a 'showing' of Rocky Horror, and I don't think I would want to!

Sorry your 'friends' couldn't have been more considerate and play along!

It's like that here too now. All virgins, hardly any people who have been before so everyone is quiet and doesn't do anything. I've only been a few times..I stopped going when it stopped being fun. My initiation involved someone's tongue going in my ear. That balloon thing doesn't seem bad at all.

Sorry your friends were party poopers.

I used to attend a RHPS in the early 90's , my cousin was in the cast. I used to go and try to score with all the freaky chicks. But I think that cast (from what I can see) let themselves go, ya know they look a little....um...ah....healthy? well fed? I am a bit big myself, so I wouldn't try to play a not so big role (like all of them) It looks like Eddie is playing all the roles ha "roles"

But seriously we had a few larger characters in our cast too. As long as they have fun, hey, size doesn't matter right, that's what I've always been told.

P All "I'm such a fool and I remember doing the timewarp"

I guess you could always plop in your RHPS DVD an listen to the audience participation track.... :? That sucks that the group you went with were not into it very much. While I never went to the movie dressed up, I at least sang along with the songs. Too bad Ivan could not dress up as Riff Raff since you were all decked out in costume.

Erik" Time is fleeting, madness takes its toll" Johnson.

At the theaters at Universal Studios City Walk in Orlando, they do Rocky Horror every 2nd and 4th Friday and Saturday of the month! They are mostly college kids from UCF.

When I went, it was quite hilarious. I definitely participated. I didn't know the shout-outs or the show really, since I never seen the movie.

We did start the show with the "Virgin Initiation." I wasn't planning on going, BUT, my friend called myself and another friend out. While down there, we went through some spiel. Then they choose three Virgins to stay longer. Well, the host walked past me and said "You're cute, stay." Of course they'd make me stay. I was less than thrilled.

So, three of us had to vocalize an orgasm on the mic for everyone. I didn't win, sadly, but it was good times. After that, I wasn't shy no more. I enjoyed it very much and plan to attend again sometime!

Great TR. Reminded me of my first adveture to a Rocky Horror show!

You know that I would have been into it if I'd been there with you Julie. Sorry Rocky Horror was such a bust this year.

At least your Halloween event wasn't cancelled like mine was.

What am I gonna do with a Star Trek uniform now?

Kevin

Oh no!!! Julie, where are your personal queens? Rocky Horror is never any fun without a hint of color! Just remember, "I'm lucky! You're lucky! (insert) The banister is lucky!!!"

BTW, that initiation was lame for that one girl. They should have at least added some kool-aid to the balloon or something. Sorry to hear you had a crappy RH.

Nice outfit, Julie!

LET'S DO THE TIMEWARP AGAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIN!

My daughters in the marching band at her high school. In honor of Halloween, at last friday nights game, they played timewarp and the stands on both sides went nuts! It was great. Had to be like 200-300 trying to do the Warp in the stands. It was amazing hearing it, and seeing it.

How fun! I have loved RHPS since I saw it in 8th grade. People are usually really suprised to find out that someone like me loves something like that!

I have never been to a theater showing, but I have listened to all the audience particpation stuff.

RCT, thanks for the info about Universal Orlando showing it! Maybe I will try and catch my first live show while I am there.

Janet! Dr. Scott Janet! Brad! Rocky!

I have never been to a live performance just the movie. I can remember my first time going and saying "what's with the toast" After that I would bring loafs of toasted bread with me, it's such a fun time once you get involved. Sorry you're friends weren't so willing, but you're costume looked great. Better luck next time.

I LOVE the Rocky Horror Show!

I went to see it a few years ago because Robbie's best friend was in it. He was Frankenfurter and he was amazing. It was one of the best theatre shows I have been 2 ever and I cant wait for it to come back.

Sorry to hear about ur friends Julie but u looked Fantastic!!