TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Dive Machines? What are your thoughts?

You're suspended at the top of a vertical drop for several seconds before being released. Think about the actual absurdity of that for a moment.

I don't think it's that complicated or worth overanalyzing.

Seriously, that sums up why dice coasters are so "intimidating." Suspended over a vertical drop for a few seconds (that feels like an eternity.) That's intimidating to most people. Both Coaster enthusiasts and general public.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You're suspended at the top of a vertical drop for several seconds before being released. Think about the actual absurdity of that for a moment.

Seriously, that sums up why dice coasters are so "intimidating." Suspended over a vertical drop for a few seconds (that feels like an eternity.) That's intimidating to most people. Both Coaster enthusiasts and general public.

Except, that's not entirely true, at least not in my experience. Even without seeing the train suspended there, or knowing that's what the ride experience delivers, people I've shown the coaster to, find it intimidating. So as I explained earlier, there are a number of other factors at work here...

There are quite a few factors here. All of these would impress any GP, but not all of these would necessarily impress and enthusiast.

1. Size. All dive machines in the US are over 200 ft tall, and the majority of parks do not have a coaster that tall.

2. Noise. The B&M box track already amplifies noise well, so the loud B&M roar does help intimidate people.

3. Floorless. Having no floor adds to the intimidation factor. The three US dive machines are also the three tallest floorless coasters in the world, so that has to count for something.

4. Uniqueness. There is nothing else quite like these rides, so seeing something different can often intimidate people.

For me, dive coasters are not quite my favorite ride type, simply because I would much rather have a coaster that gives a good ride all the way through, as opposed to a coaster that gives only a couple of great moments while the rest of the ride is pretty basic. And personally, I actually like the (admittedly not as graceful) diving sensation on GIB's better than on dive coasters. I actually like the thrill of being pulled facing down from the bottom instead of going to the top forwards and being hung over.

I find Sheikras drop to be more intimidating than Griffon. I think that may be due to Shiekras drop has no visual obstruction to the bottom, messing with my depth perception, whereas on Griffon, the drop has track crossing over the drop. That first drop gets me every time on Shiekra. Also, the angle of the lift is a bit intimidating the first couple of times you ride.

Never been on a dive coaster myself, but as someone who gets a similar feeling on larson superloops, I can definitely agree that it's probably the hangtime that's the unnerving part.

I honestly just think it is a combination of the oversized structure, giant wide trains, vertical drop, and the hold at the edge of the drop. That mix of size and anticipation really amazes the general public and I'm honestly surprised we don't see even more dive coasters in the U.S. The general public eats them up.

The holding brake. It all boils down to the holding brake.

This.

I just hope that CP realizes that they have one on Valravn and start using it. I know it's all about the fast dispatches for a new ride, but you HAVE to hold people up there for at least 5-10 seconds in order to get that 'Oh crap" feeling!

This.

I just hope that CP realizes that they have one on Valravn and start using it. I know it's all about the fast dispatches for a new ride, but you HAVE to hold people up there for at least 5-10 seconds in order to get that 'Oh crap" feeling!

5-10 seconds??? Why would do they need to be held there for so long?? Most (if not all) Dive Machines only hold for 4 seconds, yet it seems like an eternity. I really don't see the need to be held up there for much longer than that.

This.

5-10 seconds??? Why would do they need to be held there for so long?? Most (if not all) Dive Machines only hold for 4 seconds, yet it seems like an eternity. I really don't see the need to be held up there for much longer than that.

I don't think that question was meant to be interpreted that literally.

Plus, what do you think the purpose of holding riders at the top of the lift for a long time is?

Everybody keeps saying "it all boils down to the holding brake", but that's not entirely true! At least not in my experience... People I've simply shown pictures of the ride to, or described it to, are intimidated by it, without even knowing about the holding brake. Don't get me wrong, the holding brake is an additional "WTF" factor driving the fear and intimidation up, but the coaster's size, and simply the "look" of that vertical drop, are the biggest factors leading to the GP's fascination/terror when it comes to them, at least in my experience!

I like dive machines. They need to be developed to do more, and Oblivion is in this modern age quite basic, but I like them. They are by far the most intimidating rides out there. People keep criticizing Oblivion for being too short, but it was made almost 20 years ago now! It is one of the best prototype roller coasters in the world.

This.

Plus, what do you think the purpose of holding riders at the top of the lift for a long time is?

You are right...and thank you for understanding my perspective.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if they changed the holding all of the time. One train waits 2 seconds, one just dives, one waits about 10 seconds and then to really freak people out, hold them there for about 30 seconds to 1 minute to get them wondering if the coaster broke down!

This.

You are right...and thank you for understanding my perspective.

Personally, I think it would be awesome if they changed the holding all of the time. One train waits 2 seconds, one just dives, one waits about 10 seconds and then to really freak people out, hold them there for about 30 seconds to 1 minute to get them wondering if the coaster broke down!

I'm loving this idea! I always think the anticipation of a drop, is almost the best part of it!