TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Freedom and Independence of Kids/Teens in Amusement Parks

On 10/1/2021 at 12:03 PM, ytterbiumanalyst said:

Theme parks are pretty safe places, all things considered, so I'm not too worried about things happening to them.

Agree 💯. I'd be pretty at ease, compared to so many other settings. Our mall, movie theatre, and ice skating can be real shit shows when it comes to fights, incidents involving weapons, or abduction risk. (even more fights than a SF parking lot, believe it or not)

• Like 1

As somebody who has three kids who are now teens, and one who is 7, I've apparently addressed this conundrum, but didn't put a lot of thought into it as far as age is concerned. Basically, my thoughts are to take it on a case by case basis with each child, and where their maturity level is, and how comfortable you are with them going off alone. I would let all my older kids go off in the park alone now, and the youngest is 13. But a year or so ago, I probably wouldn't have felt as comfortable letting the then 12 year old go off alone, as I would have my 14 year old daughter when she was 12 (with a friend, not alone.) So I really think it's about knowing your kids, and knowing where they are in their growth, and maturity, as well as knowing the park that you're in.

As for when I started going off by myself at a park, that was so long ago now, I don't even remember! lol But I'm guessing it was early 90's, so 13-14 range.