TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Best beginner B&M coaster in FL

I'm headed to the parks in the Sunshine State and am wondering which B&M looper is the least intense. I've ridden Wild Eagle at Dollywood and loved it, but I've seen lots of people call it "forceless"...which has me worried about the other B&Ms here in FL. Any advice would be appreciated!

13 minutes ago, DoinItForTheFame said:

Mako! For sure! Or Kraken possibly. 

Which park do you plan to visit first?? This might help us give better advice. 

We plan on going to Busch Gardens, Seaworld, then Universal.

Im always a proponent of "start with the max. After that nothing can scare/shake you!" BUT I get not all operate that way lol 

BGT first? Well Sheikra is the least forceful of the B&Ms there. Then Montu, then Kumba which is very forceful and intense. Though after that....you're good, no others in the state will seem so bad :)

15 hours ago, jimmiemac02 said:

I'm headed to the parks in the Sunshine State and am wondering which B&M looper is the least intense. I've ridden Wild Eagle at Dollywood and loved it, but I've seen lots of people call it "forceless"...which has me worried about the other B&Ms here in FL. Any advice would be appreciated!

If you’re nervous about some rides, are G Force loads really the reason why? 

Lot’s of people mention Sheikra, and sure... it probably pulls less Gs than the other coasters at Busch Gardens but it also dangles you over a vertical drop 200 feet in the air and holds you there. Is that okay with you? For many, it’s probably the scariest coaster in Florida. It just depends what you’re worried about.

Honestly I feel like you can just ride every B&M in Florida if you’ve been on Wild Eagle. Montu is probably the most intense, but Montu is also glass smooth. Mostly everyone seems to love it.

Just rip the band-aid off and ride Montu. I think you’ll find that you can easily handle it and then you don’t have to worry.

• Like 2

^ So due to America doing inches vs Uk's cm, Montu was my first ever big roller-coaster since I was 138cm I narrowly missed out on Alton Tower's coasters but just made the height for Montu.

This was Montu's opening year and I remember my family and friends trying to talk me into Python or Scorpion as a introduction but after watching both I couldn't do it. Someone suggested Montu because, even though it was bigger,  it was an inverted coaster, as long as I was not in the front row, I wouldn't be able to see anything if I didn't look down and get spooked by the height so my first ever big coaster was sitting in the second row middle seats and just staring at the back of the front row the whole way and I rode Kumba and Scorpion later in the day (Python was skipped for repeat Kumba rides and although I'll never have that credit I have 0 regrets there).

I can't speak to anything at Universal, but the single most intense moment you'll find on a B&M in Florida is the pretzel loop on Manta at SWO.  That thing caught me off guard the first time.  Everything else is pretty manageable for everyone IMO.  

Perhaps you could check out some POVs on YouTube if you haven't already.  Some people like a surprise, but I prefer to see layouts ahead of time so I know what to expect when it's actually time to ride..

On 5/31/2021 at 4:07 PM, jimmiemac02 said:

I think Kumba would be the next logical coaster to try.  It's a much better transition than Montu, which is a great ride but easily the most intense of the 3 at BGT.

Don't miss Kraken at SeaWorld.  I think you'll like that one as well. 

By the time you get to Universal, you'll be ready for The Hulk (which is IMO the best B&M Looper ever).

If I were looking at it from a beginner's standpoint, here's how I would analyze it:

Kumba is pretty intense. Montu adds the extra hanging element, and is also very intense.

Shiekra has an intimidating first drop.

The feeling on Manta's pretzel loop drops my stomach just as bad as Dragster, to the point where That, and the flying coasters are the only coaster types that make me feel queasy. 

I have a feeling of anxiety and anticipation with the excitement and enjoyment. It's an extreme tickle.

Mako is very tall, the clamshell restraint makes some people uneasy, and it has a few ejector airtime moments.

I've never ridden The Hulk, but it's an OG B&M, so I can imagine it's pretty snappy and forceful. 

I say Kraken. Definitely Kraken. It was constructed at a time where B&M was focusing on less forceful smooth transitions. The seats have heavy bolstering and it has over-the-head shoulder restraints for a more secure feeling. After you break yourself in on that, I'd go Mako, Kumba, Montu, Shiekra, and Manta. Not sure where The Hulk falls into line. Don't sweat it. They're all great rides. B&M doesn't go too crazy. Just be away, if you tend to get a tickle on some rides, Manta will be no exception. Brace for the pretzel loop and try not to die while enjoying it.

On 6/1/2021 at 6:37 AM, coasterbill said:

Lot’s of people mention Sheikra, and sure... it probably pulls less Gs than the other coasters at Busch Gardens but it also dangles you over a vertical drop 200 feet in the air and holds you there. Is that okay with you? For many, it’s probably the scariest coaster in Florida. It just depends what you’re worried about.

This this this! Sheikra might be the least amount of Gs (maybe) but it is way more "scary" to me than any of the rides at BGT. It essentially simulates being dangled over the edge of a cliff and then dropped as if the person dangling you lost grip. It is extremely thrilling for me, and I love the adrenaline involved. HOWEVER, Montu and Kumba are both more "traditional" rides. Kumba is sit-down so it is most traditional. It might technically pull the most G forces, but it feels the most familiar.  I would not recommend starting with Skeikra.