TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Fun Spot America Atlanta Discussion Thread

I wonder how much this coaster will change the dynamics of the park.  It's not too often a small park, let alone an FEC, gets a coaster of this magnitude.  I can only think of kentucky kingdom and dorney park and we see what happen with those parks.  The only difference I see is this is already park of a small family own chain.  I am very anxious to see this park in 5 years or so.

40 minutes ago, jarmor said:

I wonder how much this coaster will change the dynamics of the park.  It's not too often a small park, let alone an FEC, gets a coaster of this magnitude.  I can only think of kentucky kingdom and dorney park and we see what happen with those parks.  The only difference I see is this is already park of a small family own chain.  I am very anxious to see this park in 5 years or so.

I have not been to this fun spot but looking at the pictures it sure looks like it has been shoehorned in. How much space does this park have to expand?

TONS.

it sits on a lot of unused land. . and if they wanted to (not that I would EVER want them to), they could pull out a massive Miniature Golf Course and make even more space.

here's some pics of the park from when I was last there (in 2018) after FunSpot had recently taken the property over.

IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4505.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4513.JPG

IMG_4515.JPG

IMG_4508.JPG

3 minutes ago, bert425 said:

IMG_4506.JPG

IMG_4507.JPG

That's one way to run a Paratrooper....LOL.  I'm curious how they operate/load it.  Is it...

"Okay, we'll load/unload one car, then move it a tiny bit, load another, repeat until full, then run it up to speed, then reverse the process," resulting in a whole lot of boredom, or...

"Let's load/unload one car, give it a few good spins, then load another one," resulting in a super-long ride time.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jarmor said:

What's the story of why those buildings have a western look to them?

Remnants of the prior park's life.

Before FunSpot took it over, that place was called Dixie Land Park/Fun Junction.

FYI - the Paratrooper used to be built and actually run that way .... already up and tilted. We had one of those during our earlier PNE Fairs, and the load/unload was just that. One at a time, then run a full cycle. Same as a ferris wheel is run, really. Then, somebody finally figured out how to load/unload it un-tilted.  Just like an Enterprise.

^That's the way the one at Silverwood is! I don't think it even has a mechanism to lower itself, I think it's permanently fixed in the upright position. It unloads with a little platform that slides back and forth that acts as a step to get on an off...yes, it is a slow moving line...like a lot of lines at Silverwood unfortunately...

image.png.cea81d7c6b4b8789a59ad16a9e5a7931.png

(Ironically, this photo is from somewhere on TPR and it happened to show up first in a Google Search. Great job photo credit holder!)

Ok! Lets get this thread back on track! How about that new coaster name?:lol:

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

News like this causes me stress, because I now need to find a way (with limited PTO I am saving for a big trip) to get myself down to Atlanta to do this! This looks like a spectacular ride! I used to never take trips JUST for parks but think its time I break that rule and fly to Atlanta for this! 

26 minutes ago, JJLehto said:

News like this causes me stress, because I now need to find a way (with limited PTO I am saving for a big trip) to get myself down to Atlanta to do this! This looks like a spectacular ride! I used to never take trips JUST for parks but think its time I break that rule and fly to Atlanta for this! 

come to Atlanta for SFOG, and the *amazing* Atlanta Aquarium. . . plus several very good museums.

but side trip to ride the new coaster for a couple of hours is probably worth it while there :)

^Atlanta also has a really good food scene!

One thing I might have missed or maybe they didn't mention is their planned timeline for construction and what time of year they're planning to open the new coaster. I'd love to plan a spring trip but that may be a little optimistic. I'm definitely not trying to be in Georgia in summer/after like late May because it gets deathly hot and humid up there.

It does, I like Atlanta deff excited to plan this and for more than just this dope ass RMC. 

Yeah I too am curious what time frame we may get. I too would prefer early season but that does seem optimistic? I only do parks early/late esp in the south so we shall see!

• 4 weeks later...

looks much longer than I was expecting it to be. . .so that's nice to see.

so it starts outside the park, along the freeway, then comes in over the Miniature golf, jumps the arcade building and continues on.

looks really pretty good. . .

On 11/28/2021 at 11:40 PM, TEDodd said:

Elsewhere it was posted that management still expects to open the ride in May.

Interesting. This would be great news, I am trying to front load my trips as much as possible this upcoming year so I would be quite happy if it was May! 

I too was impressed with the length of the ride, and overall layout. Looks to be on their stronger offerings imo. lol yeah that animation is pretty jank, funny it came from the park bc I know I saw a guesstimate POV (I assume from amusementinsider they always create those things) a while ago that was far better XD But yeah this may be one of the best rides in such a small park out there!

5 hours ago, Stu K said:

hi guys May would be great as just rescheduled my 2020 road trip for the 3rd time lol. Atlanta is now the hub airport for fun spot and Six flags. has any work started on this yet?

Stu K

just so you're aware, if you haven't been. . the Airport isn't really close to either. . it's at least a 45-1 hour drive (if light traffic) to SFOG from the airport. . (tho it's only ~20-30 minutes to Fun Spot as you're not going thru Metro Atlanta to get there).

tho if you take the Marta to Peachtree Plaza (a $2.50 ride), you can grab an uber from there for only ~$20 (I leave from that area during Dragon*con to go to SFOG every year). . LOL

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, boldikus said:

Weird, I've taken Ubers from Atlanta airport to SFOG a few times now and its never taken more than 20 minutes.

you've gotten SUPER lucky then.

never taken less than 20 minutes from Peachtree Plaza Hyatt. . and that's a 25-30 minute drive from the Airport.