TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Gerstlauer to build record-breaking US-based roller coaster in 2022

Yeah "Cedar Point" and "Challenging location" don't exactly seem like they go together, unless they're going to put it on that island. Maybe Morey's is going to build this as the 2 pier coaster that the GCI they had planned like 10 years ago was supposed to be.

I have no clue what kind of mental gymnastics people are doing to make a perfectly flat huge park with tons of space a "challenging location". They just really want this coaster at Cedar Point so they can get off it and immediately film a hype vlog where they declare it the 7th best coaster in the park.

• Like 6
  • Haha 7

6 hours ago, tinaalsgirl said:

Well, SDC would certainly fit the "challenging location."

Yes, but their MO is small unique coasters. Much as I would love it, the way this one is being marketed doesn't seem to fit.

I'm going to go with Glenwood Caverns. I can't think of a more challenging park to build on in the U.S.

• Like 1

On 4/21/2021 at 6:47 PM, jedimaster1227 said:

NTAG was the abbreviation many used for New Texas Giant (not sure where the A comes from) but yeah. Bottom line is, manufacturers and parks that get into these kind of nasty legal disputes don’t often shack back up with new projects unless there’s some kind of reconciliation. Gerstlauer was not involved in any of Six Flags (or any other) RMC conversions after this incident.

That could also be because RMC started manufacturing their own trains shortly after NTG was built. 

I know someone already mentioned SFStL, and I know SF and thier history of working togther after New Texas has been null, but why not?

If they built a record breaking euro-fighter (like Smiler) or a custom launched family coaster like they did with FireChaser, and put it where Tidal Wave sat and possibly build out over the service road and into the hillside. That would give Six Flags StL a long needed record breaker and a boost in attendance.

remember when holiday world surprised us by building the 1st launched b and m wing coaster?  Well what if the challenging location is actually still woodland and this will  connect the 2 sections of the park to form a loop.

would expect some ground works to start soon. where ever they are going. 

Stu K

• 2 weeks later...
53 minutes ago, thepoint4life23 said:

I just do not see this as a fit for Cedar point. 

Ever since the Smiler was built at Alton Towers I have pictured a 15 inversion coaster at Cedar Point to break the inversion record. 

On 4/23/2021 at 2:49 PM, tinaalsgirl said:

Well, SDC would certainly fit the "challenging location."

Speaking of this, as I mentioned in the SDC thread a construction fence was put up around the Waterboggan Tower area thru where the final turn of the railway is. It's a pretty small & wooded piece of land. I remember it being rumored for years SDC was supposed to get their version of Mystery Mine so who knows maybe it's finally happening.

EDIT: That and we know SDC has been obsessed with making record breaking "world's first" attractions as of late.

• Like 1

Everyone focusing on the record-breaking, and talking about most inversions just reminds me of the original Smiler rumors that the first section of track would be a washing machine style spinning piece of track that could be adjusted to make sure the ride never lost its record of most inversions.

I know marketing loves the word record breaking but it can be anything, look at Hagrid's coaster. The fact it's a Harry Potter roller coaster sells itself but they jumped through so many hoops trying to justify the 'biggest free-fall' or ' first story based coaster' so they could stick some records on there.

Everyone's going to end up very disappointed when this record breaking coaster is just the washing machine spinner, a 5ft lift hill and drop and then a turn back to the station and the challenging location is the corner of a giant arcade.

• Haha 3

On 4/23/2021 at 8:50 AM, coasterbill said:

I have no clue what kind of mental gymnastics people are doing to make a perfectly flat huge park with tons of space a "challenging location"....

I think the main reason why people think it could be a "challenging location" is aside from MF island, the petting zoo thingy, and the Thunder Canyon area there's not a ton of park space where they wouldn't be building over and around other attractions... So maybe that's where the "challenging location" part comes from trying to weave the new record breaking coaster in and out, and above and below existing attractions?? I'm thinking along the lines of a more spread out Grona Lund?? Idk. . . I'm probably wrong. Just trying to help justify the thought process of some people 🤣

On 4/21/2021 at 4:59 PM, swfan1988 said:

Any guesses where this is going?

I think it's an Infinity Coaster for Cedar Point, that will break the inversion record, but honestly it could be going anywhere.

The way they comment on the location intrigues me, and seems to indicate that it's a park that doesn't have a lot of open room (Sorry Worlds of Fun and Darien Lake, not this time...). We know it won't be a Six Flags park, and it's in the US so not Canada's Wonderland. A number of smaller independent parks like Silverwood and Adventureland are getting coasters this year, so probably not them, and not Knott's because they have Hangtime.

Parks that come to mind are: Indiana Beach, Cedar Point, Morey's Piers, SeaWorld San Diego, Kentucky Kingdom, and Silver Dollar City. Honestly, I think Cedar Point makes the most sense but who knows. Let the speculation begin!

Nobody thinks it might be Dollywood? They haven't had a new coaster since Dragonflier, which is a family coaster. There has been chatter about a new coaster, which would be great.

At nocoastercon Dollywood sort of hinted their next coaster may be from a manufacturer they haven't used before. I think that's why many are assuming a Time Traveler type ride. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tndank said:

At nocoastercon Dollywood sort of hinted their next coaster may be from a manufacturer they haven't used before. I think that's why many are assuming a Time Traveler type ride. 

That seems like a good assumption...if it's not Mack, it's what, Gravity Group, Custom Coasters, Zierer, Maurer, what else?