TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

NEWS: Gerstlauer to build record-breaking US-based roller coaster in 2022

8 minutes ago, Nrthwnd said:

Okay. Eight years ago. A woman fell out of a coaster. I understand. But what does (what thrillseeker4552 posted) NTAG stand for?

Sorry, but nothing I read in that link, alluded to this abbreviation. So ..... ? Thanks in advance.

NTAG was the abbreviation many used for New Texas Giant (not sure where the A comes from) but yeah. Bottom line is, manufacturers and parks that get into these kind of nasty legal disputes don’t often shack back up with new projects unless there’s some kind of reconciliation. Gerstlauer was not involved in any of Six Flags (or any other) RMC conversions after this incident.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jedimaster1227 said:

manufacturers and parks that get into these kind of nasty legal disputes don’t often shack back up with new projects unless there’s some kind of reconciliation. Gerstlauer was not involved in any of Six Flags (or any other) RMC conversions after this incident.

Serious question (for those in the industry?): when this type of thing happens where parks and manufacturers get mad at each other and refuse to speak/do business/returneachotherstexts - will SF still deal with them for parts, etc? SF owns a number of Gerstlauer coasters, 7 according to a quick glance @ wiki. Just curious.

Hahaha, sorry @Nrthwnd. To be honest, I don't know where the "A" came from. I guess if it came from abbreviating Texas, it would technically be NTXG. I just remember people using NTAG around the time it was new and it just became habit. I should've clarified!

But yeah, unless some small random park totally splurged, I think there is a high chance this is a Cedar Fair park. I suppose Kings Dominion is also a possibility, although Volcano's plot wouldn't be the first "challenging location" that comes to mind since it is quite large and open.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, boldikus said:

Serious question (for those in the industry?): when this type of thing happens where parks and manufacturers get mad at each other and refuse to speak/do business/returneachotherstexts - will SF still deal with them for parts, etc? SF owns a number of Gerstlauer coasters, 7 according to a quick glance @ wiki. Just curious.

The Eurofighter at SFDL predates SF's lease, so they didnt do that deal, other than parts and maintenance.

My guess (and that's all it is) would be Cedar Point. After Xcelerator opened at Knotts, CP built a bigger version in Top Thrill Dragster.  Now that Knotts has HangTime and Carowinds Copperhead Strike, Cedar Point needs a multi loop sit down coaster.  Cokscrew is 45 years old, and the other loop coasters in the park are floorless or wingrider or dive coaster models. Even Steel Vengeance has more upside down elements.

I got all of this straight from my Dippin' Dots guy. He knows someone who saw something so it's basically fact.

• Haha 1

I'll play the guessing game.  

Guess 1: Cedar Point - Because point and for some reason they want to ignore the fact they need something other than a "record breaking ride."  Personally I'd much rather see a GG family woodie capable of two train op built somewhere near Planet Snoopy/Kiddie Kingdom than what this could be.. but 🤷‍♂️ we'll see.  🤷‍♂️

Guess 2: Dollywood - Cause why not?  Talk about location challenges and what not.  Phase 2 of Wildwood Grove could use a nice big signature ride, one that operates consistently.  

Guess 3: Holiday World - Cause I feel like it's time for a new coaster here after Thunderbird.  And a more "traditional" sit down looper would be nice.  

Be fun to watch.  I wasn't expecting much in capex for 2022 due to Covid, so seeing an announcement for a "record breaker" is intriguing.  

Any chance this project ends up being somewhere besides a traditional park? The whole vibe of this "announcement" feels kind of a weird, Ride Entertainment stating that they're building a record breaking Gerstlauer coaster somewhere in a challenging location, I don't really recall anything like this in the past other than maybe some very loose announcements at IAAPA.

Could this be for a separate development somewhere like a mall or an entertainment complex? Vegas? Orlando? Maybe one of those Polercoasters that got announced forever ago is finally going through. Remember when one of those got "announced" for some kind of recreation sports complex outside of Atlanta then absolutely nothing was ever mentioned about it since? I think there was one attached to some city development project for like San Diego or Baltimore or something as well as one time.

34 minutes ago, boldikus said:

icant.gif.cc6c74397a852d6a6be7e912aac65a19.gif

Last I knew, he's right. If you disagree, can you give some evidence instead of a gif? lol

On another note, yeah as much as I wish Darien Lake was getting it, that's obviously not happening. I'm assuming this will either go to Cedar Point or Dollywood, with a slim chance of it going to Holiday World.

Holy sh*t I'm not disagreeing with him. Are you nuts or dumb?

None of what he is pointing out has anything to do with the question I asked nor does it answer it. The gif is my frustration about the fact that he wants to be Ultimo-I-Know-Everything-Enthusiast-Nerd when no one asked.

Forget I even asked, the level of crazy/stupid posters on this forum is at an all time high (which is saying something).

• Like 3

2 hours ago, boldikus said:

The gif is my frustration about the fact that he wants to be Ultimo-I-Know-Everything-Enthusiast-Nerd when no one asked.

If you ever met me in real life (spoiler alert: no one here will), you'd see that I am far from an enthusiast nerd. But I'll give you my best guess at an answer to your question. I would think that there's a service contract involved with an install, but I'm not in a position to say that definitively. Much like a car warranty. Would make sense to me. 🤷‍♂️

Let's get this thread back on track...

Like others have said, this is a very odd announcement as you'd think a real park wouldn't want something like this announced ahead of THEIR announcement but it's a weird world nowadays so...

My guess is Jersey Shore. Weren't they always rumored to get something crazy, and this company is very Jersey friendly from what I understand. 

• Like 6

I'm late to the party, but all I ever want from Gerstlauer for the rest of my days is Karnan.  That ride is perfectly mental.  That being said, come onnnnnnnnnnn Karnan US clone!

On 4/21/2021 at 6:45 PM, thrillseeker4552 said:

“Record-breaking”, “challenging location”, and “custom layout” screams Cedar Point to me.

This is exactly what I was thinking.... It definitely screams CP to me too!! 

Regardless of what park it goes to, I’m excited to see what comes of this!