TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Austin is getting a Rollercoaster!

^ based on the "tunnel" in the animation?

It's crossing the drive that goes behind some of the Grandstands/Entrance to the Concert Venue & Tower and connects the parking lots:

in this image, I've highlighted COTA BLVD. . which I believe is the road it's crossing.

the Green Arrow is pointing to Parking Lot B (the one I think is going away), and the green star is the main entrance to the amphitheater/tower - where the COTAland rides currently sit on either side.

image.png

14 minutes ago, PKI Jizzman said:

I know I know it's just an animation, but I'm wondering what the prevention is going to be from it rolling back. Is there going to be a boost on the spike? 

I think it just rolls through the first half a little faster than "normal" to allow it to roll back through the elements with enough speed. Similar to the one at Walibi Rhone-Alpes.

• Like 2

this got lost in the mix today too!

in addition to the new Coaster?  COTAland is also getting a Skyblazer (!)

https://www.usthrillrides.com/skyblazercota

(honestly, a multi-seater skycoaster doesn't do much for me. . but maybe it will be an insanely fun experience?)

image.png

this link has a video showing it off:

https://www.usthrillrides.com/skyblazer

• Like 1

On 11/17/2021 at 8:35 PM, bert425 said:

this got lost in the mix today too!

in addition to the new Coaster?  COTAland is also getting a Skyblazer (!)

What really got lost in the mix today is the addition of a Wacky Worm!  And I wouldn't be surprised if the "Texas Wildcat" is another coaster, since  "Wildcat" is popular coaster.

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/11-19-21-cota-amusement-park-2022-two-new-attractions/

Austin’s COTA reveals thrilling attractions for intensified amusement park in 2022

By John Egan

Nov 19, 2021, 9:15 am

Austin’s COTAland amusement park is getting ready to take visitors on a thrill ride — or two thrill rides, to be exact.

The Circuit of the Americas announced on November 16 that COTAland, scheduled to formally debut in 2022, will become home to two thrill rides: the SkyBlazer and the Palindrome. COTAland reps say it’s the only place where people will be able to take advantage of these two rides next year.

COTA has long been known for its racetrack, which hosts the U.S. Formula 1 Grand Prix and other racing events, but also features a variety of entertainment offerings, including its karting track, zip line, and holiday and music experiences. With the addition of COTAland, the property aims to take amusement to the next level.

“COTA is working with the attraction industry’s best creators and producers to make COTAland a go-to amusement park destination,” Matt Hughey, senior manager of COTAland, says in a news release. “COTAland will feature everything from rides for young children to hair-raising experiences that will thrill even the most experienced theme park lovers. Something for everyone!”

The SkyBlazer seats 18 riders side by side on a circular platform before raising them off the ground and then sending them hundreds of feet into the air.

“After a few moments of anticipation, the rip cord releases and sends patrons into a momentary free fall before the swing motion catches them and sends them soaring over the enthralled onlookers,” the news release says.

The Palindrome roller coaster will feature a 95-foot vertical lift hill, a top speed of 51 mph, two inversions, and a vertical “hop-stall” before riders experience the ride again — in reverse.

Today, the park features “kiddie” rides, including a Ferris wheel and a carousel, but the SkyBlazer and Palindrome will elevate at least some of the experience to the adult category. Other rides planned for COTAland include the Skyflyer, Wacky Worm, and Texas Wildcat.

• Haha 1

On 11/18/2021 at 1:14 PM, DBru said:

This new ride combo (...and the city itself) is enough to get me back to Austin.

But also Terry Black's BBQ. 🤤

Maybe they'll name the coaster after a fave Austin BBQ dish, or place like Black's. Just a thought. 🍖

15 hours ago, larrygator said:

What really got lost in the mix today is the addition of a Wacky Worm!  And I wouldn't be surprised if the "Texas Wildcat" is another coaster, since  "Wildcat" is popular coaster.

https://austin.culturemap.com/news/entertainment/11-19-21-cota-amusement-park-2022-two-new-attractions/

Austin’s COTA reveals thrilling attractions for intensified amusement park in 2022

By John Egan

Nov 19, 2021, 9:15 am

Austin’s COTAland amusement park is getting ready to take visitors on a thrill ride — or two thrill rides, to be exact.

The Circuit of the Americas announced on November 16 that COTAland, scheduled to formally debut in 2022, will become home to two thrill rides: the SkyBlazer and the Palindrome. COTAland reps say it’s the only place where people will be able to take advantage of these two rides next year.

COTA has long been known for its racetrack, which hosts the U.S. Formula 1 Grand Prix and other racing events, but also features a variety of entertainment offerings, including its karting track, zip line, and holiday and music experiences. With the addition of COTAland, the property aims to take amusement to the next level.

“COTA is working with the attraction industry’s best creators and producers to make COTAland a go-to amusement park destination,” Matt Hughey, senior manager of COTAland, says in a news release. “COTAland will feature everything from rides for young children to hair-raising experiences that will thrill even the most experienced theme park lovers. Something for everyone!”

The SkyBlazer seats 18 riders side by side on a circular platform before raising them off the ground and then sending them hundreds of feet into the air.

“After a few moments of anticipation, the rip cord releases and sends patrons into a momentary free fall before the swing motion catches them and sends them soaring over the enthralled onlookers,” the news release says.

The Palindrome roller coaster will feature a 95-foot vertical lift hill, a top speed of 51 mph, two inversions, and a vertical “hop-stall” before riders experience the ride again — in reverse.

Today, the park features “kiddie” rides, including a Ferris wheel and a carousel, but the SkyBlazer and Palindrome will elevate at least some of the experience to the adult category. Other rides planned for COTAland include the Skyflyer, Wacky Worm, and Texas Wildcat.

The wacky worm has been onsite for a while tho (pic of it from my trip to COTA for the kiss concert on page 1)

the Texas wildcat is the coaster I originally started the thread about.  The one that came from the British park

Saw this yesterday, pretty amazing timing: I will be in Austin for the race. I had no intention of doing any rides while there, because there was nothing really in Austin, and yet the coaster gods shine down upon me a pretty neat looking shuttle coaster. Even when I am not planning on doing coasters, one presents itself! 

EDIT: oh also the spinning sky coaster type ride I think looks pretty darn fun

• 1 month later...

Spent the day today at SFFT, which hosted Winterfest - a presentation from many parks around the Country (tho mainly from Texas), and COTALAND was one of the presenters.

I'll get a more detailed report up in the next week or so, I think, but the big COTAland news that came out of Winterfeast?

-- the Wildcat did open, but they had an issue with burning out some parts, so it's currently down - but expected to be back open fully by March 2022
(they had to completely rebuild a new control panel for it too. . so they've spent a lot of $$ on this ride getting it ready for Texas!)
-- they have purchased several more rides (and a replacement Ferris Wheel for the one on site that they sold last week) including standards such as a Pirate Ship, Tilt A Whirl, and several others. . most of which are in transit or on site.
-- tho a few of the existing rides are of the "carnival" variety (including the "claw" and the "drop tower") that was mostly due to the ride manufacturer's impacted by Covid, and unable to get new rides made in a needed timeframe.   So the plan is to replace the "traveling"/"carnival" rides with more permanent Theme Park models, now that most of the manufacturers are back into the swing of things and are able to supply new rides when ordered.
-- Palindrome (the new Gerstlauer) is planned - if all parts arrive when promised and they hit no snags in assembling - to open by October. 
-- and the "full park" planning to open by September (including the above Skyblazer, which will be the only one built in Texas per the contracts).

-- it was noted that they plan to have the park open during events at the tracks (at least any rides available) later this year, but plan in 2023 to open the park as a year round, dedicated Theme Park. . with at least one more coaster coming in the future (a question was asked if a wooden coaster might be coming, and the answer was a bit evasive, but was NOT a "no").

I'm actually really excited about this park and how it's progressing!

(oh, and they announced that next year? COTAland will be the host for Winterfest presentations)

• Like 1

who's instagram was it?

do not recall that. . tho they did announce they were hosting Winterfest 2023, and they said that Palindrome was not the "last" coaster they have planned.
they want to make it into a year round park, and did say more is coming.

I glossed over it above, noting just more rides are coming, but one of the new rides they announced was a log flume.

hmm. . well, I wasn't drinking, and I was there. . . didn't hear him say anything about that unless he was teasing.

he just said there's another coaster coming, and the above info I have in my post.

But I mean. .they have some unique stuff coming in 2022, and they say that in 2023 they are planning on opening up as a year round "park". . . so I'm just going to be excited about that and not worry about what might come in 2023  (tho I'm hoping for a wooden coaster there).   COTAland has a lot of space to expand into.

I'm waiting to see a little more information on the legitimacy tat they are adding another coaster in 2023. Without going into what it may or may not be, I think it is great that they would have two original coasters in back to back years. Alongside all the info Bert has shared, Cotaland is really getting out there and being serious!