TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 623: Universal's Mardi Gras 2023 details announced!

12 minutes ago, tndank said:

Moving walkway with screens and sets.  You can shoot and earn points.  

Seriously?  A standing dark ride?  Lame.

I don't even know if i'd go as far as to call it a dark ride.  Imagine being in one of those moving floor aquarium, but this time you have a blaster and random sets.  As far as I am concern this is a glorified game.  Not sure what universal was thinking with this one but we will see. . .

I'm super curious to see how much move around room you will have. Like will there be screens on both sides and if you're fast can you go back and forth? And if so how much havoc are the kids that are running around going to wreak on everyone else's stability? I mean you know some stupid teen is going to try and find a spot to get off the walkway and/or try to go backwards and/or stay in there for an indefinite amount of time. I taught middle school for almost 30 years, they're extremely devious, lol.

When we held the 1986 World's Fair (EXPO86) in Vancouver, Washington State had a pavilion, which consisted of a moving walkway (a travelator?) and huge screens to one side with images of the state were shown along with movie clips etc.

The amount of people (and not just kids) pushing by, to get going faster on the thing was ridiculous. I found that staying on the left side of the walkway (closer to the screens) was the best position to take, when a horde of people come by, who couldn't be bothered with relaxing, and letting the walkway do the work.

Unless there are separation 'things' of some kind to keep people in their place .... it could turn into a nightmare all created by the gp. Then again, with it being a shooting attraction, that might help keep people in their place on the walkway.

6 hours ago, Nrthwnd said:

When we held the 1986 World's Fair (EXPO86) in Vancouver, Washington State had a pavilion, which consisted of a moving walkway (a travelator?) and huge screens to one side with images of the state were shown along with movie clips etc.

The amount of people (and not just kids) pushing by, to get going faster on the thing was ridiculous. I found that staying on the left side of the walkway (closer to the screens) was the best position to take, when a horde of people come by, who couldn't be bothered with relaxing, and letting the walkway do the work.

Unless there are separation 'things' of some kind to keep people in their place .... it could turn into a nightmare all created by the gp. Then again, with it being a shooting attraction, that might help keep people in their place on the walkway.

Well I would assume a world class operation like Universal will have thought of these things.......but assuming is always dangerous, lol.  

• Haha 1

If this thing turns out to be popular, I expect a lot of similar systems to start showing up at other parks.

A moving walkway for a ride: indoors, can run in any weather, and easily changed for themes/ new overlays with sponsorship tie-ins.... Coming soon to most Six Flags.

10 hours ago, The username said:

Gonna be going to Universal next week on Thursday to get my velocicoaster credit and and hot up all my favorites again. Anyone have an idea of what the crowds are gonna be like. Both parks, don't have the express pass.

We were there Dec 18-22 last year. It was packed. While I appreciate anyone living within their means, truly not being snarky, IF there is anyway you can swing express for even a day it will make for a much better experience. However, if you just can't do it then like others stated prioritize your top 5 or so rides. I would rope drop VC if you need that credit, most people will run to Hagrids first and then if you do Hagrids later, use single rider. There are no row requests on it anyway. If you haven't seen the Bourne Stuntacular show go, even if you aren't a show person. Express not really needed there anyway. And I would be prepared to go balls to the wall from open until close with minimal breaks.

11 hours ago, The username said:

Gonna be going to Universal next week on Thursday to get my velocicoaster credit and and hot up all my favorites again. Anyone have an idea of what the crowds are gonna be like. Both parks, don't have the express pass.

Temper your expectations. While you’ll be able to experience attractions during your visit, you’re going to wait longer than you would typically (for a Thursday or for any other time of year in general). Things that normally would have minimal wait times will have excessive waits as well. Shows have the potential to fill up during this busy period, so plan accordingly and queue early to ensure you can get in. 

My best recommendation is to prioritize what really matters to you for your visit and focus on working down that list as best as possible as your day goes on. Rope drop the park so you’re amongst the first people in the gates so you can rush to the most popular attractions before the largest crowds roll in within the next few hours that follow. With only one day, you won’t likely get to do everything you aim to. Also keep in mind that navigating the parks and park hopping will likely take longer than normal as there will be more people in park paths and in the line for entrance turnstiles. 

Plan ahead. Arrive early/on time. Set realistic expectations and be pleasantly surprised if they’re exceeded. Have a good time.

• Like 1

I was at Citywalk this morning to meet up with some friends and was pleasantly surprised to see them using a whole other security setup near one of the garages. Made it so there was basically no wait for security on one of the busiest days. Well done!

• Like 4