TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

^I keep seeing people make comments about how they don't like the way the ride looks, but I'm starting to wonder how many of those people have actually been to Universal and seen this thing in person. The way the ride stands out when you're walking around the park is something Universal has been needing for a long time. When you approach the two parks from CityWalk you see Hulk twisting over IOA with the lift hills of the Dragons in the distance, when you look over the studios side you see a bunch of buildings. With the way Rockit looks now, from the moment you leave the parking garage you see this thing maneuvering above the Studios, which is a much needed addition to the skyline on that side of the property. Rockit really draws your attention to The Studios the way Hulk draws your attention to IOA. I was skeptical about this project when it was announced, but I've seen it in person and "eyesore" is one of the last words I'd use to describe it.

I can definately see what people mean by saying its an eyesore. That raised block section especially, from what I have seen from pictures, is not very pretty. Those messy, earwax coloured supports scream of Manhattan Express. The ride itself though, the layout looks great. It's great that Universal are trying something different (rather than just Hollywood Dream 2), but let's hope it rides better than certain other Maurer coasters.

I'm looking at you G-Force!

The way the ride stands out when you're walking around the park is something Universal has been needing for a long time. When you approach the two parks from CityWalk you see Hulk twisting over IOA with the lift hills of the Dragons in the distance, when you look over the studios side you see a bunch of buildings.

I agree that it's ugly, but it will give USF that "visual pull" from CityWalk. Which, it would appear, is what they want. Which I find rather interesting, because between this and the first big construction at IOA since it opened, it looks like the powers that be now believe that IOA has sufficiently entered into the minds of the GP as its own park.

I'm not sure I'm explaining that well. The idea is that the GP didn't realize that IOA was a separate park, so would just budget one day at USF during their Orlando vacation. And this is why IOA was advertised equally, but new attractions (mostly) went to USF ("come back to USF, and--oh yeah--go to IOA.") No sense adding new rides to a park that hadn't really gotten all the initial visits that it "should have."

But if they're wanting to pull people from CityWalk into USF, and adding to IOA, I guess that's finally changed.

I always had a feeling that the studios would be just that...a studios that didnt have rides poking out like IOA does. I think the ride would be fun but if I had a choice I wouldnt trade the low profile look of the studios for this coaster. While I havent had the chance to see the construction upfront and personal but I do know that in IOA there are places where you cant really see hulk and dragons but I dont know if that is the same with rockit.

I was at City Walk tonight around sunset and once I looked over from the parking garage I almost couldn't believe my eyes. The block dominates over the park and once the first two hills are added this thing will probably dominate the whole resort. I guess since nothing else around the Studios is very high makes this appear higher than it is, but it looks stunning so far.

Few updates.

-Stucco being added to the Stage.

-New astroturf being added to the seating area.

-Rapid construction on the Citywalk portion of Rockit.

This a bit ago (12:30PM) in front of BMG (Courtesy of Atricks):

They were adding another piece of track when I went by to the outer part of the loop there. I took this photo from directly under it in the exit area from the park to Blue Man Theater.

They have three cranes, one by twister, the huge one in the middle by the boneyard that lowered it into the front (pic above), and another smaller one (pic below) that was being set up to raise the piece showed in the pic above to the final spot in the pic below.

The following are from Orlando United.

The MCBR as seen from 2-3 miles away on Kirkman Rd.

Citywalk/BMG Portion, looking great.

Work being done on the Station.

The stage nearing completion!

A final shot of the MCBR from Islands.

WOAH! thats about all I can say about this ride, its going to be so tight. It looks really excellent with all the swooping turns and twists. So far, that picture beneath the city walk caption looks like its going to be a blast. With the fast side to side motions thats its doing. Cant wait to ride this one, and I really cant wait to see the lift hill/first drop/ weird loop be built!

I am definitely loving the way it looks. I also think the theme of the coaster fits well in this part of the park. Granted, it changes the skyline, but this is good. Maybe in the future, they will even it out on the other side near Terminator. Jaws... the coaster. LOL. I am very excited to see the final results, and how massive this will be. The first hill alone will be massive. I don't think it will take over Seuss Landing as someone stated, especially since it is in a different park. I never actually noticed, but are they THAT close? Maybe someone can take a picture from Seuss Landing to see if we can see it. I'd do so myself, but it has to wait until I get there in July! I am more interested in seeing how it comes out over City Walk. Is that what it is supposed to do? I need to go back and look at the original drawing. This will definitely bring some life back into a park that IMO needed it. I don't think The Simpsons did it for this park. It was the same type of ride that was already there. I still go every time I am in Florida, but I think it was the most boring out of all parks for most people I know, and they choose to opt out most of the time. Hopefully, I will not have to wait ten years on a line to ride this. I suppose I will have to run to the park at opening...

I don't think it will take over Seuss Landing as someone stated, especially since it is in a different park. I never actually noticed, but are they THAT close?

They're separated only by the soundstages. The brake run can be seen from the bridge between Seuss and LC.

Some new photos have arrived in my inbox today. I huge thank you to Marlon Scott for these pics!

--Robb

P1030156.jpg.bf939a11e57482505b58521e25b146da.jpg

Photo by Marlon Scott

P1030155.jpg.0522aeb31ec2e706ce37c1a2d8b5fe3b.jpg

Photo by Marlon Scott

P1030154.jpg.a66365b134ae197ada7b51daad93db32.jpg

Photo by Marlon Scott

P1030153.jpg.3bba2ec73696cb5fbaafe2cc7146f7d8.jpg

Photo by Marlon Scott

P1030152.jpg.c9e85c55c08e824204e7903dfaaa2cbd.jpg

Photo by Marlon Scott

P1030151.jpg.4319a4056c1ed096db01b9a75ace511a.jpg

Photo by Marlon Scott

Man, I have a feeling that this coaster is going to be one of those that scares the crap out of me with all the tight track and quick curves. I haven't been on an X-car before anyway, so it will definitely be a new experience. I have no idea when I'll have the chance to come down and try it, hopefully soon.