TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 611: Full Halloween Horror Nights 2021 lineup revealed!

It's kind of unfortunate that a lot of those retweets were people who just found out about Dueling Dragons closing and are dismayed at not being able to get their last rides in.

It really is a shame that I was never able to get a ride in when I was in Orlando (even moreso not riding when they still dueled). There's no other pair of coasters like Dueling Dragons and they will be missed.

https://www.universalorlando.com/web/en/us/things-to-do/shows/terminator-2-3d/index.html

171672149_Terminator23DLR.jpg.4e09e8d9b68ff925e03521d5a2818a58.jpg

Terminator 2: 3-D at Universal Studios Florida will run its last shows on Sunday, October 8 to make way for an all-new live action experience based on a high-energy Universal franchise. It will open in 2019. This is one of many exciting new experiences coming to Universal Orlando Resort as we continue our epic growth. Stay tuned – more details will be released soon.

Today is final day for Dueling Dragons. Here is some vintage footage from around 1999-2002. While I personally am not sold that this is a "good decision" we will wait to see what the future holds. Went to take our final rides a couple of weeks ago and stood at the exit shooting some footage for a while and I watch the MAJORITY of guests exit the ride and *RUN* back to the entrance to ride again. I'm just not sure why a park would want to touch a ride that still seems to have such high satisfaction.

I mean attractions like Universe or Energy or Great Movie Ride usually gets reactions like "Wow, I'll never get that 27 minutes of my life back" so I understand why those rides time have come. But that's not the case for Dragons.

Oh well, all I know is that whatever they are planning to replace it with has a high bar already set for it and I feel it will be difficult to to beat Dragons, but we shall see. Enjoy the video...

Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I really want to know what song you used during that video. Unfortunately several music recognizer apps etc. returned nothing.

Over/under that this will become a Harry potter attraction?

The statement says it's a franchise Universal owns themselves. I'm betting on Secret Life of Pets.

That's what I thought, too. I remember early postings about Universal working on some kind of attraction,

based on SLofPs, to go into the Hollywood park. Maybe they're going to do it first in Orlando?

I liked the actual show itself, but always found the "pre-show" annoying. There were some pretty cool effects in the theater.

It's time for it to go.

Edited by cfc

I always find it funny that out of all the parks USJ is the one that seems to retire them last with BTTF just closing and Jaws potentially disappearing sometime after Nintendo Land, it's like an encore where you get a couple of extra years to get another nostalgic ride... Are we sure they won't take Dueling Dragons?

First time posting in years, but wanted to pay tribute to the Dragons. I remember watching them as they were being built. They were just a beautiful sight to behold. And then when they opened, I marveled at the way that they twisted and interacted with each other. In my opinion, this ride was one of the absolute greatest feats of coaster engineering ever. The two unique layouts, speeding/slowing the lift hills to time everything up, calculating the close calls - as far as unique track layout, this ride has yet to be topped, in my opinion.

Our marching band played at IOA in 2002, and I got to ride both Fire and Ice in all their dueling glory. My favorite part was the first near miss on fire. I still remember - knowing full well that it was coming - pulling my legs up as the ice trail flipped up underneath us. Had several non-enthusiast friends with me that week and they all had a blast on them. And the queue. That thing was great! Made the wait seem like it's own little ride.

RIP Dueling Dragons. You will be missed!

• coasterbill changed the title to Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread