TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

Robb is absolutely on point about Potter. I never saw any of the movies or read any of the books either, and I pretty much feel the same way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Seriously, I feel the lands looks amazing and the rides are pretty good (I wish they were a bit less screens and more action, but that's just me) but they really outcast people who aren't familiar with the material. It's a shame...

I do find it annoying how when you pay with a credit card, they always refer to it as "muggle plastic." I get wanting to create an immersive land, but come on dude.

Robb is absolutely on point about Potter. I never saw any of the movies or read any of the books either, and I pretty much feel the same way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Seriously, I feel the lands looks amazing and the rides are pretty good (I wish they were a bit less screens and more action, but that's just me) but they really outcast people who aren't familiar with the material. It's a shame...

I do find it annoying how when you pay with a credit card, they always refer to it as "muggle plastic." I get wanting to create an immersive land, but come on dude.

Ugh yes. I love the park and am a pretty big HP fan but that phrase gets real old real quick. I wonder what they'd say if you tried paying with the voucher from the goblin exchange. Going there next week, I just might give it a shot.

Biggest problem with that is they're clearly MAGIC plastic.

That's why I make sure I always use my Disney Visa at Universal, the bright red one with a huge Mickey.

^ Trip Report! Especially about that voucher!

You know what, I think I will do one. Obviously am 'new' to the forums but have been lurking a long time. One thing I've never been sure on is the preferred protocol; is it better to post a TR in the park thread, or make a new thread for it?

Wow. Even as a huge HP nerd, that'd get on my nerve real quick. I'd correct them afterwards, each time.

"No, that's actually a credit card. 'Muggle plastic' isn't a real f**king thing."

Where do they do that at? I only buy ice cream there and that place is generally busy so I guess they don't have the time to do stuff like that but it is interesting.

Where do they do that at? I only buy ice cream there and that place is generally busy so I guess they don't have the time to do stuff like that but it is interesting.

It's most prevalent in the gift shops, not food service. I assume because there's a slightly less sense of urgency if it's not food related so they can take a little more time to be 'thematic'. Which would be fine if they could find a line between 'in character' and 'annoyingly stupid'. Finding a great cast member can be awesome, the Stan Shunpikes by the Night Bus have always been great, and I once got into a spectacularly awesome 'argument' with a Knight's Cross attendant since I accused her of being a Death Eater after she claimed Neverending Story 3 was a good movie. The nerve! Sadly my cries of 'verbal cruciatus' went unheeded.

Hmm maybe it's me that's annoyingly stupid.

It's most prevalent in the gift shops, not food service. I assume because there's a slightly less sense of urgency if it's not food related so they can take a little more time to be 'thematic'. Which would be fine if they could find a line between 'in character' and 'annoyingly stupid'. Finding a great cast member can be awesome, the Stan Shunpikes by the Night Bus have always been great, and I once got into a spectacularly awesome 'argument' with a Knight's Cross attendant since I accused her of being a Death Eater after she claimed Neverending Story 3 was a good movie. The nerve! Sadly my cries of 'verbal cruciatus' went unheeded.

Hmm maybe it's me that's annoyingly stupid.

I'm pretty sure I only know half the words you typed out in that post! lol

Gotta say, I'm surprised that nothing is being rumored to retheme Marvel. Nintendo would make a lot of sense, but given that it's replacing Kid Zone, that's off the table. The nice thing about Nintendo being in the planned spot is that we'll actually be getting new rides. Given all the awesome-sounding things Disney's announced recently, Nintendo is desperately needed.

As ignorant of technology as Harry Potter wizards are, they probably shouldn't even know what plastic is.

^If anything, Marvel Super Hero Island needs to be re-themed to look less 1990-ish.

That and Toon Lagoon both feel like a time capsule from the turn of the millennium . While it can be seen as a bad thing I love the vibes you get in places in the Dr Doom's Freefall queue line and the pathways in Toon Lagoon. It's not nostalgic, but it has it's own charm to it.

I love Toon Lagoon. Popeye and Dudley are the two best water rides I've ridden. I am curious to see if Disney buys out the Marvel rights one day or something. I will also be very sad to see the Dragons leave if that happens. I went to IoA in 2003 and wouldn't ride those or the Hulk because I was afraid of coasters with inversions. Man I felt dumb the next summer when I rode Alpengeist as my first inverting roller coaster.

For sometime I figured Dragons would be removed and replaced by a new Potter attraction. But it felt like it was something which would likely occur in a few years.

I no longer feel like Dragons has years left and I am really starting to doubt it will even survive the rest of the year. I really hope the replacement uses practical effects. Rides like Men in Black, and Jurassic Park are a lot more memorable and enjoyable than King Kong.

^If it involves riding Hagrid's motorcycle or the Ford Angela through the Forbidden Forest, with practical sets, then that's acceptable. THey'd need to make sure to make it different from the Forest section in FJ. Really not into, nor do I care about, Fantastic Beasts.

So, I just found out that we will likely have a trip to Orlando planned in November. We will most likely be visiting SeaWorld and BGT since we already have Fun Cards to our Busch Gardens so we will upgrade to platinum and make those cheap. My question is, would it be worth it to visit Universal? Neither one of us are really chomping at the bit to go, but we would love to visit the Wizarding World. I guess I'm looking for the opinion of some other Potterheads. It's just so expensive to go to both parks that I have a hard time justifying it.

If you're going for the Wizarding World then yes absolutely. Diagon Alley is especially fantastic I was amazed when I walked into that section in June 2016. Probably the best section of a theme park I've ever been in.

IMG_4601.thumb.JPG.7985eb8c5ff6f2d98cb71798a3b44892.JPG

So I just took a night ride in the back seat on Ice Dragon. Here's some thoughts...

- it runs just as good as it did in 1999.

- it still kicks serious ass and is easily one of the top five inverts in the world, no question. And I've been on pretty much all of them! lol

- If Universal trashes it they are stupid.

- This crap right here...

IMG_4600.thumb.JPG.b4a11bc2072e6defeba7c9867e336862.JPG

...is bullshit. When people ask me "why don't you go to Universal as much anymore" I can show them this picture.

That is all.

Edited by robbalvey