TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

p. 623 - New Epic Universe details, including Celestial Park!

I rode both sides of Dragon Challenge once back in December 2015 and was pretty disappointed by them. They felt like an "average" B&M Mega-looper. However, I decided to ride them again last June, and they were so much better in the back row. I especially love the wraparound Immelmann on Chinese Fireball! I hope that these coasters do not get sent to the scrapyard and that Universal at least tries to sell the coasters at a reasonable price, otherwise it would be a devastating loss. As for a new attraction, a Mack powered invert would be quite interesting, however it would be nice to see another thrilling coaster added into the lineup to make up for the loss of two of their biggest coasters.

Could the way Universal presents the Harry Potter land be because of J.K Rowling? Doesnt she have a really big say in everything that goes on in HP section of the park? Ive also heard that she is not a fan of the coaster, which is one reason why Universal has been rumored to remove it.

Ive also heard that Universal is also planning a third park where they bought all that land not to long ago. Could it be possible that *if* that rumor is true, they might relocate the coaster to said park?

I wonder if these rumours of the removal of Dragons are peaking because it might be near the end of its life? Dragons is just as old as Hulk. A park is not likely to tear down a perfectly healthy coaster, but if they need to choose between a rebuild of the entire coaster(s) or install a brand new ride, the choice might swing in favor of a new ride.

Which I would truly detest TBH, Dragons is one of the best rides in FL.

I don't think it has anything to do with the Dragons reaching the end of their life at all, but more likely how many more people they can attract with a new Harry Potter specific ride. Also if you consider the size of the land taken up by the Dragons, they can easily fit a couple of rides and more retail & food outlets in that space.

Could the way Universal presents the Harry Potter land be because of J.K Rowling? Doesnt she have a really big say in everything that goes on in HP section of the park? Ive also heard that she is not a fan of the coaster, which is one reason why Universal has been rumored to remove it.

Ive also heard that Universal is also planning a third park where they bought all that land not to long ago. Could it be possible that *if* that rumor is true, they might relocate the coaster to said park?

This is almost certainly true. She's very protective of her property (and rightly so IMO, I think some creators are a little too quick to license things out without consideration) . The stories of her and Universal butting heads over features are pretty insightful. The famous one (possibly apocryphal?) being she wanted the Diagon Alley entrance to do the "move bricks aside" for everyone entering and not getting why that would be an absolute nightmare to actually implement.

Robb is absolutely on point about Potter. I never saw any of the movies or read any of the books either, and I pretty much feel the same way.

The technology on Forbidden Journey is awesome!! But... the story means absolutely nothing to me. Except to watch out for that damn tree (err... Whomping Willow..) that's about to smack you in the face. Why are we here, again? Oh, and now we're flying. Oh and here are some spiders. Oh and now we're playing some game on a broom. Now we're watching out for a dragon. Hey, who is this guy? Etc.

I get why a Potter fan would enjoy it, but... eh. Not for me.

Being a potter fan I did love the Harry Potter world, But what I love more is coasters. And I couldn't care less if Dragon challenge is HP themed or not I love them anyway. Having just visited both IOA and US I had a great time, but I couldn't help feel the overwhelming selection of 3D and 3D screen rides was too much. And after I rode 2 or 3 I was kind of done and wanted something else in terms of variety, I ended up being like "oh okay another 3D rides lets get this one over and done with" ( saying that I did really enjoy Spider-man and Kong) I get the impression that universal wants to have more immersive worlds than a cracking coaster line up, okay I get that if thats what they are going for then its totally cool, But i'm just worried that removing these two coasters is making room for yet another dark ride with 3D screens and that to me is so sad, haven't they got enough off those between the two parks already. Having ridden a Mack inverted dark ride, I just can't see it living up to the thrills that DC offers. If they get removed, they get removed, little ole me can't stop that, but I just hope they get sold to another park as a pair or separate if all this actually happens.

Robb is absolutely on point about Potter. I never saw any of the movies or read any of the books either, and I pretty much feel the same way.

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Seriously, I feel the lands looks amazing and the rides are pretty good (I wish they were a bit less screens and more action, but that's just me) but they really outcast people who aren't familiar with the material. It's a shame...

I hope whatever's replacing Dragons can be at least more about physical set and use screens to elevate the experience. Mummy and Spider-Man are my favorite rides at USO and I'll really look forward to the new ride if it is like a perfect blend of those two. Don't care about Potter or ever will, but I always appreciate a nicely themed attraction.

I feel like the Dragons could get re-branded as a quidditch match (kind of like airborne lacrosse on broomsticks). There would be no need to remove them, just redo the theme. I liked the big dragon statue out front when I visited many years ago, but it doesn't have to be themed to dragons. (Is that statue still there, even?)

(So yes, I guess I'm saying that it should duel again, too.)

I find it hard to believe that two fun B&Ms can't be popular.

I like the latest Screamscape rumor better, an Intamin launched Bike coaster themed to

hagrid-motorbike-harry-potter-deathly-hallows-warner-bros-entertainment.jpg.06864b731849d9d5677a2fd99093687f.jpg

That would be a much better replacement while ditching inversions.

Since Comcast now owns Dreamworks, they can just clone HTTYD if they wanted to keep costs down and get a Mack Powered invert that's extremely family friendly as part of a Dreamworks land of a new 3rd gate at the newly reacquired land.

Oh good, everyone in Orlando can build a motorbike coaster now. Just what we all want: a bunch of variations on rides that almost nobody actually rates.

That's the thing about the Tron coaster. It's an "OK" coaster through an *AMAZING* show. And if that ride happens, it would not be smart IMO for Universal to build a motorbike coaster because they'd be up against the best indoor attraction I've ever been on, and that bar has been raised VERY high.

I'm cool with two motorbikes, but another damn Harry Potter attraction?

Would you rather have another Jimmy Fallon ride? Transformers? Fast and the Furious? At least let them milk their best* property.

*Note, I personally don't think it's the best, but I'm smart enough to realize my opinion is the minority on this.