TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 609: DreamWorks Destination interactive character experience announced!

• Replies 15.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We rode Velocicoaster today! Here's our thoughts on the ride....  

Official Velocicoaster POV released!  

We spent the weekend at Universal/IoA on Sat/Sun/Mon. In that time, we managed 15 rides on Velocicoaster. A handful of front and back seat rides, including a few at night (which is just epic!). 

Posted Images

Out of interest...do the scanners at Universal Orlando pick up things like rings (in my case a normal wedding band).

I only ask as someone hinted earlier that maybe we shouldn't wear "jewellery" to a theme park and I would be surprised if their scanners are THAT sensitive...given that it is never a problem at airport security.

Out of interest...do the scanners at Universal Orlando pick up things like ringy dingy ding-a-ling dings (in my case a normal wedding band).

I only ask as someone hinted earlier that maybe we shouldn't wear "jewellery" to a theme park and I would be surprised if their scanners are THAT sensitive...given that it is never a problem at airport security.

If you're that worried about it or a watch, just hold the hand up near your chest. Odds are good the person working the detector is too stupid to know that those things are calibrated to let metal at center mass pass through.

My top five is:

1. Incredible Hulk Coaster

2. Revenge of the Mummy

3. Spiderman

4. Forbidden Journey

5. Dragon Challenge, I hope they do some sort of refurbishment on these coasters instead of removing them because they are great rides that really balances out the ride lineup at IOA.

Ill list my top 5 but it may be different then most

1. Ripride I know this coaster isnt very popular but I still enjoyed it a lot and dont remember the breaking. The music was a cool touch too.

2.Dragon Challenge was nice intense B&M not as fun as Raptop at CP but still fun

3.Hulk This would of been higher if I didnt have my expectations to high..I mean the launch was awesome and the rest of course was fun but not as WOW! as I thought it would be. It didnt seem that forceful at times which I found weird as I assumed it would have a lot of force. Still it was enjoyable though

4.Mummy cool combo of a dark ride and a coaster. the neat thing about coasters in the dark is you dont see whats coming up next. So its adds to the thrill

5.Doctor Doom. Its a lot of fun being shot up like a mini rocket.

Universal really needs to can it with the fully screened attractions. People are growing tired of them. Kong got bad guest reviews, Fallon will too, and Fast and Furious probably will as well. I can ride Hulk and Doom all day but these are really a once-ever experience.

What's bizzare is that the best ones are way older and the further they stray from real effects the worse they get. Spiderman is great because of the whole package of the set interaction with it. Forbidden Journey is mind-blowing with the transitions and extra Theming (it's a shame the storyline is very quick and hard to follow). T2 is decent because of the real acting and effects, the movie part is fairly boring.

Transformers uses more screens and less Theming, and doesn't really match Spiderman. Gringott's uses more screen time, and doesn't really match FJ. Kong is basically disaster, but with completely CGI effects instead of crazy flooding and fire. Fallon is just Europe in the air, a worse Soarin' with no replay value. Hopefully they will make some Hybrid rides with Nintendo Land, even though the IP totally does lend itself to screens.

Universal really needs to can it with the fully screened attractions. People are growing tired of them. Kong got bad guest reviews, Fallon will too, and Fast and Furious probably will as well. I can ride Hulk and Doom all day but these are really a once-ever experience.

What's bizzare is that the best ones are way older and the further they stray from real effects the worse they get. Spiderman is great because of the whole package of the set interaction with it. Forbidden Journey is mind-blowing with the transitions and extra Theming (it's a shame the storyline is very quick and hard to follow). T2 is decent because of the real acting and effects, the movie part is fairly boring.

Transformers uses more screens and less Theming, and doesn't really match Spiderman. Gringott's uses more screen time, and doesn't really match FJ. Kong is basically disaster, but with completely CGI effects instead of crazy flooding and fire. Fallon is just Europe in the air, a worse Soarin' with no replay value. Hopefully they will make some Hybrid rides with Nintendo Land, even though the IP totally does lend itself to screens.

I hope and pray at least one ride in Nintendo Land isn't fully screened. Speaking of Hulk, years ago I did it eight times in a row (I did exit and go back up the Express line between rides).

I can agree with you here. Thankfully it doesn't sound like Nintendo Land will rely on screens the same way Kong, Fallon, FF, Transformers, and Gringotts do (I'm willing to forgive Gringotts just because of how good the queue is, and the ride mechanism is a lot of fun as well--though it is the type of ride that takes a long time to experience mainly because of how important the queue is to the experience).

I strongly (but respectfully) disagree with the notion that HP is the "only reason" worth visiting UO. MiB, Mummy, Horror Makeup Show, Spidey, Hulk, Dudley, even Poseidon's Fury (never saw the old one but I love it) are all great IMO.

BTW was I the only one who liked Disaster?

I can agree with you here. Thankfully it doesn't sound like Nintendo Land will rely on screens the same way Kong, Fallon, FF, Transformers, and Gringotts do (I'm willing to forgive Gringotts just because of how good the queue is, and the ride mechanism is a lot of fun as well--though it is the type of ride that takes a long time to experience mainly because of how important the queue is to the experience).

I strongly (but respectfully) disagree with the notion that HP is the "only reason" worth visiting UO. MiB, Mummy, Horror Makeup Show, Spidey, Hulk, Dudley, even Poseidon's Fury (never saw the old one but I love it) are all great IMO.

BTW was I the only one who liked Disaster?

I like that I got picked and made the crowd laugh with a really bad Justin Beiber impression. Also Exploding Grandma!

- Also I didn't ride Dudley but Popeye & Bluto is pretty cool.

Hey guys! We have a Florida trip coming up in a few months and I had a few questions...

We weren't planning on doing a Florida trip this year, but I was surfing around on the Allegiant Airlines website (I love them by the way... like so much) and something popped up that was too good to turn down, so now we're heading to Orlando on Friday June 9th (at night, after work) and flying back Monday afternoon (June 12th).

We're flying to Tampa (well... PIE, Allegiant isn't fancy enough for TPA) so we're planning on hitting BGT for a few hours before we have to head out on Monday (we have Busch / Sea World season passes). That leaves us with all day Saturday and Sunday to hit some parks in Orlando. One of those days has to (of course) be spent at Sea World so Brit doesn't divorce me before we even get married, but I'm sort of torn between Disney and Universal for the other day.

I'm leaning towards Universal, but I had a few questions.

- Is there generally a major difference between crowd levels on a Saturday or a Sunday? I'd rather hit Sea World (and of course Fun Spot) on Sunday, but lines are less of an issue there (and aside from Mako, we've done everything a ton) so if there's a major benefit to going to Universal on a Sunday as opposed to a Saturday we can switch that.

- We're on the fence about the skip the line passes. Normally the argument is that since we spent so much on airfare and everything we might as well spring for it, but the truth is we didn't spend sh*t on airfare because we're flying Allegiant and the cost from Trenton to Tampa, round trip, total for both of us was less expensive than a one day Universal 2 park ticket for 1 person. We weren't going at all since we're trying to save for a wedding but I can't help myself sometimes

We don't mind missing some things we've ridden before. We want to spend a good deal of time in Diagon Alley and aside from that the only must-ride things are probably Forbidden Journey, Kong, Simpsons, Spiderman, Transformers the 3 major coasters and Ripsaw Falls / River Adventure. Is skipping the express pass a mistake or is that reasonable?

- Am I correct in my understanding that you don't get the express pass if you stay at Cabana Bay?

- Any good option for discounted 1 day park-to-park tickets? If not, that's fine, but it never hurts to ask.

Thanks guys!

Mmm.. PIE. -- Undercover Tourist is the only legit / not sketchy / timeshare ridden / site I know of that sells 1 day discount tickets. The price their includes tax whereas at the universal site I don't believe it does. It's not a huge discount. That said you are spending $175 per ticket since its peak (plus parking?) and that to me is absolutely insane. Maybe because I used to have an annual pass so I'm biased and bitter, but, damn.

From what I remember Saturdays and Sundays arnt much different in the Orlando area. It no longer matters when you go, its crowded.

You listed 10 rides so that's $17+ per ride per person provided you get to everything. Plus the cost of butterbeer -- That's without express. Granted there is more to the experience than just the rides.

Good luck. I guess I just don't see the value with all the Universal price hikes as of late especially when you have Busch, SeaWorld and fun spot with rides that aren't just screens and simulators. I havnt lived in Florida for a few years but things have only gotten worse from what I hear.

No express for Cabana Bay.

Someone who lives their now can probably give you better crowd details than myself.

Sorry for being a Debbie Downer. Just spend 2 days at Busch or go to Cedar Point instead

You didn't mention, when WAS the last time you were at Universal? Just to get an idea of what's new for you.

I'll be honest, I was pretty blown away by the price compared to what it was a few years ago. Generally our Florida trips don't include the Disney or Universal parks since I honestly prefer Busch Tampa and Brit's in love with Sea World but we're in the mood for something a little different (though we'll still hit those parks).

Our last visit to Universal was in the spring of 2013, so after Jaws closed but while Diagonal Alley was still under construction.

As for the rides, those are the "must-ride" attractions but of course there are a lot of others we'd love to ride. Luckily we rode pretty much everything last time (with Express passes) so as long as we get on those things, I'm happy.

Sorry I know it's a Universal thread but you said it was between this and Disney.... when was the last time you were at Disney / what parks have you been to? You seem like an Epcot kind of guy (though you'd be missing one of the food festivals by a few days -- then again if you are watching your pennies that adds up QUICK; but it's still awesome!!). I'm guessing the new stuff at AK is going to be insanely busy but at the same time it's all new and I know nothing about it or if it would be worth visiting. With SeaWorld and Busch you may already be getting your animal fix so I recommend Epcot for a change of pace and with the money you'd be saving you can eat a lot!. Let me know if you have any questions or PM me since I stopped following the Disney threads.

My fiancee says go to the bar INSIDE Mexico on the right hand side and get a margarita because it will quote: "f you up" lol

you may already be getting your animal fix

I see you've never met my fiance.

As far as Disney goes, we visited Magic Kingdom last year, I haven't been to Epcot or Hollywood Studios since I was a kid and I've never been to Animal Kingdom.

Basically what it comes down to is that I'd much rather go to Universal but Disney would be cheaper. We have lifetime passes from like 20 years ago and I assume I could upgrade them to park hoppers (can anyone confirm)?

To be honest, if we went to Disney we'd probably never get to Epcot (as much as I'd like to go). I was thinking of starting out at Hollywood Studios and riding coaster and tower (Ive never ridden either of them), going to Magic Kingdom (even though getting there is a complete pain in the ass) for Pirates, Mansion, Splash, Thunder and Space and then spending the rest of the day at Animal Kingdom since they close late, we want to check out Pandora, Brit's obviously going to lose her sh*t for the Safari, I'll whore the mouse (that I still can't believe exists at a Disney park) and I want to get a few rides on Everest.

With all of that I don't really see any time for Epcot as much as I'd love to go. Even if we went I feel like we'd be rushing around which isn't really the right way to approach Epcot. Normally I'm pretty decisive with theme park stuff but this is a really tough call. I feel like the pull of Diagon Alley is too much for me to resist though. lol

That's a LOT to do for Disney on a 1 day pass on a weekend. Yes there is fastpass+ but I think you are underestimating how much time it will take between parks and just how insane AK is going to be considering Pandora will have just opened. Not sure how same day fastpass between parks is... according to the website after you use yours for the day at one park and go to another park you can book more but I'm sure you'll be pretty limited come afternoon? The standby lines will be long. Fastpass strategy for an itinerary like that would be a question for a Disney expert. I wish you luck if you decide to go that route

That was sort of my thought. I know Magic Kingdom is a major production to get to and I assumed we'd end up cutting a bunch of things we don't want to cut at Magic Kingdom which is another reason I feel like Universal makes way more sense for us. I'm sure I'll cave and pay the 300 something bucks... f*ck you Universal and your stupid boy wizard bullsh*t. Why do you have to be so cool?

• coasterbill changed the title to Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread