TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 611: Bride of Frankenstein & Texas Chainsaw Massacre HHN houses announced!

I would honestly base the Wizarding World's, and the Harry Potter film franchise's success, on the ABCFamily / Freeform television network, and their constant replays of all of the films - at least partially.

Which is ironic considering ABC Family/Freeform is a subsidiary of Disney...

And Harry Potter is produced by Warner Bros. It just so happens that Disney has the television rights contract to those movies while Universal has the park rights.

But the irony with the Marvel contracts is not lost on me.

I would honestly base the Wizarding World's, and the Harry Potter film franchise's success, on the ABCFamily / Freeform television network, and their constant replays of all of the films - at least partially.

Which is ironic considering ABC Family/Freeform is a subsidiary of Disney...

Those rights are shifting to Universal (guessing that wasn't a coincidence).

But more to the point: Harry Potter is the Star Wars of the "millennial" generation. The books and movies came out when people who are now 20-30ish years old were growing up.

Skull Island: Reign of Donkey Kong 2019?

Bullet Bill Astro Orbiter 2020?

In earnest, I think it's a pretty cool idea, and Universal tends to handle attractions and themes with care. There's certainly an infectious & energetic kind of fun to Nintendo, and there are lots of ways of bringing that to a park. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in Universal/Miyamoto creative meetings!

I've been hearing rumors of them wanting to replace E.T. for some time now. Having done the attraction a few times, I honestly won't miss it if it does become something else. With the large amount of land behind M.I.B. along with Kidzone I can see this Nintendo land being huge...If they use all that space of course. Once they get this completed, I can see Hollywood area of the park along with T2 getting the next big upgrade.

But of course if none of that happens and it goes in IOA...I'd say The Lost Continent needs to be the area instead of Toon Lagoon. Toon Lagoon is actually fun.

But of course if none of that happens and it goes in IOA...I'd say The Lost Continent needs to be the area instead of Toon Lagoon. Toon Lagoon is actually fun.

Toon Lagoon is one of my favorite area's in IOA. We can spend hours in that area with everything that it has to offer. Not to mention Dudley Do Rights and Popeye are two of my favorite water rides in any park. Curious if they would ever touch The Lost Continent anymore than they already have with Mytho's being part of that area.

I've been hearing rumors of them wanting to replace E.T. for some time now. Having done the attraction a few times, I honestly won't miss it if it does become something else. With the large amount of land behind M.I.B. along with Kidzone I can see this Nintendo land being huge...If they use all that space of course. Once they get this completed, I can see Hollywood area of the park along with T2 getting the next big upgrade.

I would totally understand the removal of E.T. but I'm still sort of rooting for it to stay. Universal should really have at least one "classic" attraction on property. I struggle to even call it a classic but it's the closest thing they've got. The fact that they keep removing old rides and updating is part of what makes them awesome and part of what sets them apart from Disney but I really do like that they still have E.T. That's just a personal preference though, from a business standpoint I could absolutely see the case for removing it.

I agree completely about Toon Lagoon. I always liked it.

Toon Lagoon is one of my favorite area's in IOA. We can spend hours in that area with everything that it has to offer. Not to mention Dudley Do Rights and Popeye are two of my favorite water rides in any park. Curious if they would ever touch The Lost Continent anymore than they already have with Mytho's being part of that area.

I dont think i been on the Popeye ride but Dudley Do Rights ride is awesome. Its pretty much my favorite log flume ride. Also Toon Lagoon is pretty much a staple to that park be kind of sad if they got rid of it.

I think its really obvious that it's going to replace Kidzone and possibly ET. Curious George, Woody Woodpecker, Barney...none of these are relevant anymore. Also I think Jaws was considered more of a classic attraction than ET but that didn't stop it from being replaced with Harry Potter. Speaking of Harry Potter, seems like what's left of Lost Continent is prime expansion space for that franchise.

In a strange way, the current management of Universal sort of reminds me of Premier/Six Flags in the early 2000's. They are really building some great stuff, but are operating their parks poorly from a guest perspective. However, the difference is that Universal has been financially successful, while Premier/Six Flags expanded their parks in such a way that bankrupted the company, closed the largest amusement park in the world (Geauga Lake), and turn some parks into shadows of their former self (Elitch Gardens).

I have to disagree with you bigtime here. The metal detector/l*cker situation is an annoyance but running 1 train on the most popular rides (if open at all) during busy times of year is much more of an annoyance. Also Universal as far as I know fully staffs its third shift maintenance and custodial, and the rides have very little downtime.

Six Flags those days you never knew what rides were going to closed, late opening, running 1 train, down for staffing, etc. Universal Orlando's operations are probably just as good if not better now than ever.

Besides being really excited to see the Nintendo additions I wonder if this relationship with Universal is what finally gets Nintendo to put their characters into some movies. These cgi cartoon movies are the perfect thing for so many Nintendo franchises.

PLEASE MAKE A STAR FOX MOVIE

PLEASE MAKE A STAR FOX MOVIE

OH FOR THE LOVE OF GOD PLEASE MAKE A STAR FOX MOVIE

TPR attended the Universal Holidays Media Event yesterday and got to experience some of the awesomeness that starts TODAY at Universal Studios Orlando! It was a great sneak peak at Grinchmas, the Macy's Holiday Parade and their Christmas decorations throughout the resort. Here is the official information from Universal Studios Orlando - then on to the photos!

UNIVERSAL ORLANDO RESORT’S HOLIDAYS CELEBRATION BEGINS THIS SATURDAY, DEC. 3

‘Tis the season to celebrate joyous holiday traditions including Grinchmas, the 15th Anniversary of Macy’s Holiday Parade, and Holiday Concerts by Mannheim Steamroller

Beginning this Saturday, Dec. 3 and running daily through Jan. 1, families can create lifelong holiday memories at Universal Orlando’s Holidays celebration. Guests will have the opportunity to:

 Experience the 15th anniversary Macy’s Holiday Parade, featuring some of the same larger-than-life balloons seen in last week’s famous Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade in New York City. Colorful holiday characters and fantasy-filled floats will fill the streets of Universal Studios Florida followed by a tree-lighting ceremony by Santa Claus. New to this year’s parade is the “Virginia” balloon depicting the 8-year old girl from the famed Yes, Virginia there is a Santa Claus newspaper editorial of the late 1800s, as well as the “Mother Ginger” special character from The Nutcracker.

 Come face-to-face with the mean, green one himself and the Whos from Who-ville as Grinchmas comes to life throughout Seuss Landing in Universal’s Islands of Adventure. Guests can experience the “Grinchmas Who-liday Spectacular,” a heartwarming live retelling of Dr. Seuss’s classic holiday tale “How the Grinch Stole Christmas,” or join the Grinch and friends for a special holiday breakfast buffet on select dates.

 Plus, the Christmas music sensation – Mannheim Steamroller – returns to the Music Plaza stage in Universal Studios on select nights to perform electrifying holiday classics with a modern twist. Performances will take place on Dec. 3, 4, 10, 11, 17 and 18.

Access to Universal Orlando’s Holidays festivities is included with admission to the theme parks.

2097097520_2016HolidaysCelebrationatUOR.thumb.jpg.e8e89135849d58225d6574181f172ff6.jpg

Such a fun time of the year to visit Universal Studios Orlando!

IMG_1779.thumb.JPG.03675612e4168e615a11e6166a83bd81.JPG

You can see they already have their entrance gate decorated!

IMG_1783.thumb.JPG.2291c5e919fe9e536af4c936b63ed5fc.JPG

We started off in IOA, since that is where Grinchmas is!

IMG_1786.thumb.JPG.8cf3c9ed17f5efbff2f6ed157d5dafc4.JPG

Time for a sneak peak of the Grinchmas show!

IMG_1788.thumb.JPG.a414d2e0a4063e92342fe4be219edae4.JPG

The stage really captures the spirit of the Dr. Seuss books.

IMG_1798.thumb.JPG.28930104f7d7770c08d5972d21984426.JPG

We get to meet the Grinch himself!

IMG_1810.thumb.JPG.87a8ae5434e77e7d527b716e212bfc1d.JPG

Stacey was a little afraid, but he is a friendly grinch!

2001905852_04_TheGrinchatUOR.thumb.jpg.e9f188b24c28c6c17ffa9e18194d4b8b.jpg

See? Once you warm up that Grinch heart... :)

1223382219_02_GrinchmasWholidaySpectacular.thumb.jpg.1bc9b657617dba162cad8f88871668f3.jpg

The show has all your favorite parts of the story!

107139670_10_GrinchmasWholidaySpectacular.thumb.jpg.ee2ab893a352f222dd45d6bc7e394ad6.jpg

Including great live singers!

IMG_1812.thumb.JPG.f89ef6e7d7d8ba3135ef1c79d6cbdce6.JPG

Off to check out some of the Christmas decorations!

IMG_1855.thumb.JPG.609c0f5b6cc0434399ba162c7246df1c.JPG

These balloons are all over the park.. and HUGE!

IMG_1852.thumb.JPG.c3a779eb5868a7cee0a4e67998185f25.JPG

OMG! Garfield is almost as tall as the NY Public Library!

IMG_1818.thumb.JPG.4b955aa582c9b6130daa825d9f42bee3.JPG

Time to check out the parade!

IMG_1813.thumb.JPG.3e73544447a45cd37b10c54aba117c81.JPG

We got a special sneak peak! This is the 15th anniversary of the parade!

IMG_1820.thumb.JPG.fdec29ef8f37422ce9d7020cdf115d87.JPG

These were actually used in the New York parade!

IMG_1826.thumb.JPG.73f24752ef6d0dced997532fa093afe9.JPG

This inflatable guy is new this year and based on a balloon from the 40s.

IMG_1839.thumb.JPG.2e1d021f0a19387edd392411d60a4cfb.JPG

Cool to see how the balloons are held - just like NYC!

1760321313_05_MacysHolidayParade.thumb.jpg.8f8862bb32ac8ba6ffac3bd063673b6a.jpg

These high kicking ladies are awesome!

971252430_01_MannheimSteamrolleratUOR.thumb.jpg.e16ccf69d8a6d36537a96c60bdb9ea97.jpg

The event also features Mannheim Steamroller on select nights!

THIS is the time I want to visit Universal, Orlando! Everything looks great, especially those balloons.

And getting to experience Mannheim Steamroller LIVE.....

Great report from the park.

I've never visited Universal on either coast over Christmas--looks like fun (especially the parade and balloons). I didn't like the Jim Carrey Grinch flick, but I do like the idea of Grinchmas.

Nintendo attractions are now confirmed for all three Universal resorts

http://blog.universalorlando.com/whats-new/nintendo-universal-parks/

Last year, I let you know about a new partnership between Universal Parks & Resorts and Nintendo. Today, I am going to update you on this historic collaboration – and share a glimpse at the creative vision behind it.

Imagine the fun of stepping into a larger-than-life Nintendo adventure. Gigantic Piranha Plants spring to life. Question blocks, power-ups and more surround you. And Mario and all his friends are there to pull you into a brand-new world.

You’ll enter an entire realm filled with iconic Nintendo excitement, gameplay, heroes and villains. And it’s coming to three Universal theme parks around the globe.

• Nintendo-themed areas are coming to Universal Studios Japan, Universal Orlando Resort and Universal Studios Hollywood.
  • These will be expansive, immersive and interactive. They’ll be highly themed and authentic environments filled with multiple attractions, shops and restaurants.
    You’ll feel as if you’re playing inside your favorite games – in real life.
  • There will be something for everyone—regardless of their age or gaming experience level.
  • Planning and creative work on these areas is well underway; they will open separately over the next several years.

Shigeru Miyamoto, of Nintendo, and Mark Woodbury, President of Universal Creative, recently sat down to talk about the two teams working together. Along with reviewing potential designs for the land, they also discussed what fans can look forward to experiencing as these exciting plans come to life.

The goal of everyone on this project is clear: to bring the characters, action and adventure of Nintendo video games to life within Universal theme parks. And to do so in new and innovative ways that capture what makes them so special.

All of the adventure, fun and whimsy you experience through a screen will now be all around you – in breathtakingly authentic ways.

Each Universal theme park will announce details of its specific Nintendo areas. The first such announcement will come soon.

A lot of people are saying this is possibly replacing kids zone but I think it makes more sense using its full potential with the acquisitions they have made with dreamworks and I believe they now have rights to older attractions again( correct me if I'm wrong) they can use all these rights to make attractions for a third theme park since universal has recently acquired 415 acres of land. This way we get a brand new park and they can have so many endless attractions for Nintendo, have a dreamworks land possibly move Shrek over to that side and it be nice to get new and improved versions of Jaws and Back to the Future.

Universal's been filing for some new patents, and two of them may be recognizable to Nintendo fans:

Drift racers: A two-rider, car-based amusement racing attraction with the ability to simulate drifting sensations. Two passengers, who could be in time/points competition with another car, will have control over some aspect of their ride vehicle: The driver would have a steering wheel and an acceleration and brake pedal to control the turning/drifting of the vehicle and speed; the rear passenger would have a control interface with buttons that could control the vehicle or bounce the ride vehicle, provide a boost to the vehicle during the race or affect the performance of another ride vehicle on the track, said the patent. For any Nintendo fan, that description brings to mind the video game company's popular Mario Kart game series. In one version of the series, called Mario Kart: Double Dash, each car had two racers — including a driver and a rear passenger — who controlled the use of items during the race that could impact their car or others in the race.

Boom coaster: This is a unique arm that would attach to a ride vehicle to help enhance rides that appear to be on a track system, but are actually controlled by a separate arm. For example, the arm could be C-shaped connected to a secondary hidden track underneath the track guests see. As a result, rides that have story element breaks in the track — say like an upcoming jump from one track to another — could cause suspense. "Because the passenger may believe that the simulated ride surface controls a path of the passenger vehicle, the passenger may fear or anticipate that the passenger vehicle may crash or otherwise incur damage as a result of the elevated gap," said the patent. This has many fans thinking it could also be related to Nintendo via the Donkey Kong Country video game series, which features areas with cars traveling through dangerous mines filled with jumps, dips and turns.

Source: Orlando Business Journal

What do we think? I'm loving the interactivity in the drift racers patent. The boom coaster is a little bit more passive but if they're really looking to recreate the mine cart sections from the Donkey Kong Country games (which are so much fun, especially the one in Tropical Freeze where the cart turns into a boat that goes through a sawmill), that system would be the way to do it.

Sidenote: Anyone remember the "Cantilevered Coaster" concept from like, a million years ago?

The drift racers intrigues me in terms of its capacity levels. 2 people/vehicle in a race against another 2 people/vehicle. And just how many will be in this "race?"

They also can't have a train on the boom coaster because they would lose much of the shock factor of the "jumps." I'm thinking 4 across, two rows, back row elevated at most. But yes, it does sound similar to the cantilevered concept.

These are very cool concepts. I would totally ride a drifting Radiator Springs Racers themed to Mario Kart. The mine cart thing looks like it could be in a Forbidden Journey type dark ride, and that could be very cool. The mine cart levels in DKC were very fun and very memorable. If they do this as well as they did Harry Potter and Simpsons, I'll be very happy.

• coasterbill changed the title to Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread