TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 611: Full Halloween Horror Nights 2021 lineup revealed!

I know she's insane and all that, but Chance is hot.

I guess...if youre into chubby chicks ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

This year didn't quite do it for me. Little cohesion. Houses all good but not *great*. In my opinion, 24 was the best of all the "new era of darkness" years with Halloween being one of the greatest houses of all time. Still, nothing holds a candle to everything pre-2010.

Still, nothing holds a candle to everything pre-2010.

I completely agree, but I think we live in a different world now and will never see events like those again.

Seems like 2010 was also round about when the Bill and Ted show became....... a bit less interesting, probably not a coincidence.

This year didn't quite do it for me. Little cohesion. Houses all good but not *great*. In my opinion, 24 was the best of all the "new era of darkness" years with Halloween being one of the greatest houses of all time. Still, nothing holds a candle to everything pre-2010.

What was so different pre 2010?

I'm sure some of our more HHN Enthusiasts can answer better but...

- Event at BOTH parks

- New things every year that were different from all other events such as the Foam Party at IOA or the Foam Party in old Kong building

- Houses with interesting gimmicks (indoor attraction buildings and outside, wearing head lamps, complete darkness houses, etc.)

- Haunting attractions (Jack on Jaws and Earthquake!!!!)

- More entertainment

- Friendlier event with less people (no people all in black waving flashlights at the ground yelling at you to keep moving every five feet)

Still, nothing holds a candle to everything pre-2010.

I completely agree, but I think we live in a different world now and will never see events like those again.

Yeah, it's sad but I don't see any major attractions, at HHN or just Universal/Disney in general, opening without some sort of IP attached to them in the near future. Almighty dollar and all that. It just sucks because the crazy amount of creativity and originality is what put HHN on the map in the first place and allowed them to get to the point they're at now.

Basically everything in the top post ^^. The thing is, I didn't even start going until after they had done away with the two-park format, foam parties, modified rides, etc...and I STILL think something is missing. The event before 2010 felt cohesive, and the park was actually transformed into a completely different atmosphere. They had detailed backstories for every house/icon on crazy interactive websites...it's one of those things that you don't really notice when it's there but notice when it's gone. The world-building that went into the event is missing now that they rely solely on unrelated external properties. Don't get me wrong, I still love going and go every year several times...it's just different that's all. Before, everything tied together like an immersive second theme park with a ton of atmosphere. Now they just shut the lights off, play dance music, and send you through recreations of your favorite shows and movies. It's hard to explain, just a different feel that you only picked up on if you started going to the event in the mid-2000's or earlier.

I went last weekend and uhhhh...was this event scary at one point? How are you supposed to be startled when youre walking through a maze with 200 other people?

All night we consistently walked into scenes where the actors were getting back into their hiding places or the animatronic/effect had just went off. I've never been more disappointed by a halloween event. Granted, the mazes were all top notch when it came to design but the crowds and the lack of "pulsing" individual groups through the mazes really ruined the event.

I would GLADLY play an additonal $30-40/ticket if they reduced the capacity of the event.

I went last weekend and uhhhh...was this event scary at one point? How are you supposed to be startled when youre walking through a maze with 200 other people?

All night we consistently walked into scenes where the actors were getting back into their hiding places or the animatronic/effect had just went off. I've never been more disappointed by a halloween event. Granted, the mazes were all top notch when it came to design but the crowds and the lack of "pulsing" individual groups through the mazes really ruined the event.

I would GLADLY play an additonal $30-40/ticket if they reduced the capacity of the event.

Oh yeah, that's another thing...it's gotten way too crowded for its own good. Not only does a $100 (give or take) ticket NOT guarantee you access to all of the attractions (unless you pony up for another $100 for a fast pass), but it makes the park sometimes unbearable to be in...even with an Express last weekend I didn't see everything. I agree that I'd pay more in exchange for a lot less people. Endless conga lines have been the norm for a while now...it's more common than not to see scares happening ahead of you (and by 'scares' I really mean startles). I will say, the set design gets better every year (except this year which seems lacking compared to last year's admittedly high standard) and that has become the main draw for a lot of people.

Oh yeah, that's another thing...it's gotten way too crowded for its own good. Not only does a $100 (give or take) ticket NOT guarantee you access to all of the attractions (unless you pony up for another $100 for a fast pass)...I agree that I'd pay more in exchange for a lot less people. Endless conga lines have been the norm for a while now...it's more common than not to see scares happening ahead of you (and by 'scares' I really mean startles). I will say, the set design gets better every year (except this year which seems lacking compared to last year's admittedly high bar) and that has become the main draw for a lot of people.

Yes, exactly!

It actually felt more like I paid $100 to walk through movie sets as opposed to a huanted maze attraction. There was absolutely nothing scary the entire night, and after talking to other guests while in line (for hours, I might add) I noticed that many of the other guests felt the same way about not being able to experience the scares due to the lack of crowd control. In a couple of the attractions I actually slowed my walk to a crawl to get some space between myself and the never-ending group in front of me. This idea didn't work out very well as there were employees within the houses telling me to keep walking and "catch up" to the group.

I really don't like jump scares so I hardly ever attend Halloween events for the houses themselves. I prefer tension that's built up, very much Hitchcockian.

On a completely random note, I'll be heading to Universal in mid April. What can I expect in terms of crowds?

I really don't like jump scares so I hardly ever attend Halloween events for the houses themselves. I prefer tension that's built up, very much Hitchcockian.

On a completely random note, I'll be heading to Universal in mid April. What can I expect in terms of crowds?

Depends on when in April. Easter is on April 16 next year so if you go any time before then or especially that weekend, you'll run into heavy Spring Break crowds. The proceeding weeks shouldn't be *as* bad, but I dont know the different school SB schedules. That being said, there's a lot of ways to get around crowds depending on where you stay, how many days you plan to spend, etc. without having to spring for fast passes.

Depends on when in April. Easter is on April 16 next year so if you go any time before then or especially that weekend, you'll run into heavy Spring Break crowds. The proceeding weeks shouldn't be *as* bad, but I dont know the different school SB schedules. That being said, there's a lot of ways to get around crowds depending on where you stay, how many days you plan to spend, etc. without having to spring for fast passes.

Thanks for the info, I'll be down there the weekend of Easter going to Star Wars Celebration, so I figured crowds will be big. Thanks

I enjoyed the event this year...all of the houses were visually amazing with some fun scares. Except for the Chance house. That was clearly the one that got the short end of the budget stick. I don't get scared at haunts, so I'm going more to watch other people get scared and check out the sets/design.

Bill & Teds was weak this year compared to the previous years that I have seen.

On another bright side, the specialty drinks were good!

As someone who has faithfully watched AHS, I think that maze looked awesome and I wish I could experience it this year! I thought it was a nice touch to include some of the lines and voices of characters from the show (like the maid from Hotel, and of course... Dandy!)

Bummer to hear about the crowds. I've only been to USH HHN last year, not sure how it compares crowd-wise. We had someone with a disability pass so we were able to skip the lines, which helped a lot. Not sure if the crowds are better or we are just more easily scared, but we definitely got our share of scares in! We went on like a Thursday in early October, so that might help as well? I can't imagine how bad Halloween night can get, or the Saturday just before.

Even thought I had express, when I went last Thursday the highest wait time I saw posted was 100. I even waited in the regular lines for Halloween, Tomb of the ancients, and Exorist because they were only posted at 25 min.

I am sure it will get worse as it gets closer to Halloween. I highly recommend taking advantage of one of the in-park holding areas if you have an HHN ticket so you can have first crack at a maze queue line when the event opens.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back from our HHN trip on Monday after spending (4) nights at HHN. We had express for each night, so we were able to reach about 38 "laps" thru the houses. Our final count:

Chance: 1

Horror Story: 8

Texas Chainsaw: 5

Halloween: 5

Ancients: 3

Krampus: 6

Exorcist: 5

TWD: 2

Ghost: 3

As you can see, there is quite a difference between the good and bad houses. Chance was atrocious, didn't even waste our time going more than once (even with express). TWD was pretty bad as well, simply because it's just so old and overdone at this point... Nothing new, just all rehashed stuff from the past years. My survey asked about TWD for next year again, so OMG... Please stop Universal... Just NO!

As a big fan of AHS, the house was just awesome. The characters looked incredible, it was a really good house. I don't really get scared in houses, typically because I am so tall I see over everyone and can see the upcoming scares, but they are still fun just to see.

Krampus was tied for #1 spot with me with AHS... I wish there was more Krampus action, some more animatronics or puppets or something like Hollywood's, but otherwise still real good. Exorcist and Texas Chainsaw were also really good. Many of the houses required at least 3 or 4 laps to really see everything or get the good cast or timing of everything. Could never judge a house with only one or two laps (except Chance house, it was that bad... No potential there).

Zones were OK, wish they would do more with them. The chance midway was extremely lame, as expected. Terrible icon, too... Anyway...

Bill and Ted was ok, not my favorite year. The midway show was pretty awesome though, near Transformers at the end of the main midway (forget the name...). Worthwhile show to see.

Overall, it was a solid HHN. Hope next year TWD is finally retired and the rumors of a second AHS house are true (the other three seasons not done this year). We can only hope!

^^I got to take the same survey for HHN and you know it's gotten bad when the they literally ask if you would like the event BETTER if TWD was not a part of it at all.

My problem is not just that the Walking Dead is rehashed, but that it's been the worst house at the event 3 of the 5 years, and this year (while not at the bottom) it's just a greatest hits collection of previous TWD houses. It's never been the best thing at the event or something that really makes the event better.

Oh an Bill and Ted really needs to tighten up script-wise. It's very fun and the costumes are great, but it's two years in a row that the script has LONG sections where none of the jokes work show after show. I wish that they could modify it after the first few showings to see what works and what doesn't.

Otherwise the AHS house is just beautiful and almost all of the other houses this year are really top-notch. The Dance show is really good too.

• coasterbill changed the title to Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread