TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 611: Full Halloween Horror Nights 2021 lineup revealed!

Skull Island: Reign of Kong is officially OPEN!!!

The TODAY Show opened the ride today! Both times I went to the park recently, it rained in the afternoon just as they were about to open kong in "technical rehearsal" mode. I'll be sure that there is little rain chance so I can get a chance of "reign" on my next visit lol. Glad Kong is finally opened!!!

http://blog.universalorlando.com/extras/live-blog-reign-of-kong/

Hey guys. I;m sorry if I ask some questions that have already been addressed but I'm not a regular at the Universal thread.

I'm planning a trip for the end of next month for my anniversary with my girlfriend. She is a massive Harry Potter fan so I figured IOA and US would be perfect for her.

Just a few questions about IOA in general since i haven't been since Dueling Dragons was actually still Dueling haha.

Are there any ways to get cheaper combo tickets for both parks? The online price of 150 a person is steep but if I have to deal with it it could be worse.

Also does anyone know when the new Hulk coaster will be open to the public? I haven't been following it since it was announced. If it's closed I won't mind, this trip is really all about Harry Potter world anyway.

Also does anyone have any general tips for attacking both parks in a day?

Finally, I want to know good restaurants in the area to grab a dinner at. We're young, and easy to please. Just want something besides Wendy's haha.

^My recommendation for dinner is just eat in the park. It will be more expensive than fast food but it is very good and I never felt that it was unreasonable. Plus if your girlfriend is a huge potter fan I bet she would love the chance to eat at the Three Broomsticks or Leaky Cauldron. For example the Rotisserie Chicken Platter at the Three Broomsticks is $10.99 and comes with corn on the cob and roasted potatoes. Most of the meals range from $10 to $15.

I will warn you now that if she is a really big Potter fan I would not be surprised to see her wanting a bunch of other stuff when she is at the park. Wands are popular, and expensive, and some of them allow you to interact with objects around both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. The Butterbeer is fantastic and who can pass up an ice cream from Florean Fortescue's.

Which if you decide on the rib dinner at the Three Broomsticks at least consider the dining plan. You could then use the snack credit for either Butterbeer or ice cream. But the Rib Dinner is about the only good use for the dining plan.

^My recommendation for dinner is just eat in the park. It will be more expensive than fast food but it is very good and I never felt that it was unreasonable. Plus if your girlfriend is a huge potter fan I bet she would love the chance to eat at the Three Broomsticks or Leaky Cauldron. For example the Rotisserie Chicken Platter at the Three Broomsticks is $10.99 and comes with corn on the cob and roasted potatoes. Most of the meals range from $10 to $15.

I will warn you now that if she is a really big Potter fan I would not be surprised to see her wanting a bunch of other stuff when she is at the park. Wands are popular, and expensive, and some of them allow you to interact with objects around both Hogsmeade and Diagon Alley. The Butterbeer is fantastic and who can pass up an ice cream from Florean Fortescue's.

Which if you decide on the rib dinner at the Three Broomsticks at least consider the dining plan. You could then use the snack credit for either Butterbeer or ice cream. But the Rib Dinner is about the only good use for the dining plan.

I was hoping 150 dollars should cover us for the day. Might consider bringing a little extra just to make sure she gets everything she wants. Also I will for sure eat in the park the day we are there but I will also be doing 2 full days outside of the park so I just wanna know about dinner places in the area for those evenings. However, thank you for bringing up the meal plan, I will for sure look into it. I've loved every park that offered a meal plan up to this point, so I'm sure I'll love this one too!

So, something I have been thinking about for a while now.. If dragons has metal detectors and mandatory lockers, why are they still not dueling the two sides?? I assumed having them dispatched staggered was temporary, but its been multiple years now with no word of them returning to dueling. Does anyone else find this upsetting?

^Honestly, I find the presence of the metal detectors even more upsetting than the fact that the coaster does not duel. This has been brought up before, but Universal operates on probably the second largest budget of any park chain in the US, and yet almost every other major park chain currently has or used to have some kind of dueling coaster. And yet, they are one of only two parks with metal detectors. The other is Morey's, which has them on their SLC. However, Morey's gets a bit more of a pass in my book, because I am already expecting to get treated like crap when I am in New Jersey. Not in Orlando.

Also, the bunny organizing system is awful on Dragons; it is a cramped, crowded space that often has a shortage of bunnies, so you might have to wait in line just to get one. Also, why not redesign the station and have the bunnies there? There should be no excuse for having this bad of a system if you are a park with this big of a budget. And also, there is a park right down the freeway where you can take bags on a compact launched looping coaster.

Universal Orlando was my favorite park/resort before they put the metal detectors in. Now I absolutely refuse to rank them highly because of how they see their guests. I literally had to remove a penny from my pocket before getting in line on one of their coasters. Yes, I had to remove an object whose terminal velocity is not even fast enough to injure someone.

Something really funny and unlucky happened to me and 3 other boats on Ripsaw Falls

So there is a waterfall on the lift that clears out so the boat can go through, but this time the waterfall didn't clear out. It rained ontop of everyone's head, and got all of us soaked. I asked a worker, and he say's it glitches from time to time on that effect. It can really get you DRENCHED, more drenched than you already get on that ride. I was soaked for the whole day after it. Anyways, has this happened to anyone else on here?

I was hoping 150 dollars should cover us for the day. Might consider bringing a little extra just to make sure she gets everything she wants. Also I will for sure eat in the park the day we are there but I will also be doing 2 full days outside of the park so I just wanna know about dinner places in the area for those evenings. However, thank you for bringing up the meal plan, I will for sure look into it. I've loved every park that offered a meal plan up to this point, so I'm sure I'll love this one too!

CityWalk is filled with amazing restaurants as well. Bread Box, Cowfish, Antojitos, and Red Oven are all amazing.

My girlfriend and I are heading to both parks tomorrow. We want to be able to have an awesome dinner, consume numerous alcoholic beverages after the park, and take an Uber back to our resort. We were wondering if we can take an Uber to and from our resort to Universal without any problems? What would you all suggest? Thanks for your input!

^You shouldn't have any challenges using Uber to access the Universal Orlando Resort. Your driver will drop you off at the bus loop/pick up drop off location attached to CityWalk, which is where you'll later call for them when you're ready to leave.

^You shouldn't have any challenges using Uber to access the Universal Orlando Resort. Your driver will drop you off at the bus loop/pick up drop off location attached to CityWalk, which is where you'll later call for them when you're ready to leave.

You're a savior! We're crossing our fingers for a Hulk soft opening, but we know it's highly unlikely...

^Yeah, it hasn't even done team member previews so I would say it is almost definitely out of the question. Though Skull Island: Reign of Kong is now officially open nearby, so there is still plenty of new fun to enjoy during your visit!

Anyone have an update on Hulk? I see twitter stuff of all the new light work and the marquee is all ready. Website says "Summer" and I've heard hundreds of test cycles have been completed. We're going at the end of Sept, and booked then thinking it'd be open.

Something really funny and unlucky happened to me and 3 other boats on Ripsaw Falls

So there is a waterfall on the lift that clears out so the boat can go through, but this time the waterfall didn't clear out. It rained ontop of everyone's head, and got all of us soaked. I asked a worker, and he say's it glitches from time to time on that effect. It can really get you DRENCHED, more drenched than you already get on that ride. I was soaked for the whole day after it. Anyways, has this happened to anyone else on here?

Wow I had no idea this effect doesn't work from time to time. I feel so blessed today now

I've only been on the ride twice and I clearly remember being petrified/excited that we would be going through the waterfall, followed by relief when we actually didn't go through it.

Anyone have an update on Hulk? I see twitter stuff of all the new light work and the marquee is all ready. Website says "Summer" and I've heard hundreds of test cycles have been completed. We're going at the end of Sept, and booked then thinking it'd be open.

I have absolutely no confirmation on anything but I would think it should be open by Sept. Summer (followed by late summer) was the only confirmed opening. With there still being over a week left in July and the ride consistently testing, I would hope you'd be fine. August is the last month people are out of school as well, so it would fit the late summer deadline. If the delay did cause them to miss the summer vacation crowds, I would think Labor Day would be a safe bet to get a lot of people on this ride and spreading the good word. I hope you can get an official word soon though, Hulk is just one of the best!

Wow I had no idea this effect doesn't work from time to time. I feel so blessed today now

I've only been on the ride twice and I clearly remember being petrified/excited that we would be going through the waterfall, followed by relief when we actually didn't go through it.

Yeah, it was really funny because i've been on it so I was already prepared to be relieved that the waterfall would lift up, but then the moment i saw the boat ahead of me can destroyed by the waterfall, i knew i was in for a soaking

I was at the park yesterday so I could get my first ride on King Kong and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I know some people don't like simulators, but I don't mind them. The theming was great and the experience was really cool.

When I was leaving the park, I SAW HULK TESTING! It was absolutely amazing! It definitely has to be faster than old hulk. It really catapults out of the tunnel and tears right through the first inversion flying through the Cobra Roll and Loop following it.

When comparing testing videos from Old Hulk to New Hulk, the new testing proves that it has been testing a lot faster than it originally ran! I can't wait until this opens in a few weeks!!!

• coasterbill changed the title to Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread