TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 624: Stella Luna and Terra Nova resort details released!

Fair enough. I actually like the current queue design even though it's a little dark, but I understand why people were so let down by the change. But, then again, I never got to experience the attraction when it was Dueling Dragons, so I really don't know.

Dragons had a pretty awesome queue line, but one of the issues is that the ride was both at a park that rarely had giant crowds and was a people eater. The queue line simply ended up being something to pass through quickly en route to the station and the almost constant walk on crowds (a bit like now, honestly).

And most of the time, if you knew your way around the queue, you'd just enter on the bottom level anyway and go right into the "choose thy fate" room instead of the entire queue.

Hulks renovation is not unprecedented, Disneyland did it to Space Mountain in 2005.

I don't think anyone thinks it's unprecedented to be honest, I'm sure Space Mountain has even been mentioned in this thread already. I think it's surprised people because Hulk is quite a bit newer, but as has been touched on it hasn't actually had a major rehab, has certainly done a few miles in its lifetime, and I think because it's still popular, they're replacing it rather than patching it up for a few years and then removing it completely.

Dueling Dragons - > Dragons Challenge

Disaster - > Fast and the Furious

Twister - > Fallon

I dunno, I kind of see it more like this....

Dueling Dragons SLIGHTLY > Dragon Challenge

Disaster = Fast and the Furious

Twister = Fallon

Remember that Dragon Challenge didn't start out not dueling. So it's entirely possible that had Dueling Dragons continued in existence, this same thing might have happened to the ride. DD's theming of course was WAAAAAAY better than DC's, but honestly, I've ridden both sides of it recently, and they are both still pretty kick A$$ coasters!

I've been through Disaster/Earthquake three times in the last 10 years, and two of those were to help someone film it during the last week.

I don't think I've been into Twister in probably 15 years.

So neither one of those attractions I ride at all, and I'm expecting (only do to my interest level of the properties) that I will not ride F&F or Fallon much more often than I did Twister or Disaster, so in my mind both of them are a wash. They aren't replacing something I frequent, and they aren't something I probably frequent once they are built.

But who knows? I'm willing to give them a chance. Maybe they will surprise me and end up being a bit of fun!

Oh, I wasn't commenting on what I think is greater or less then, I was just showing old to new attractions flow.

I'm indifferent to what Universal has announced--and dubious as to the Fallon ride. But, as Robb said. maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. It sounds like the park is becoming "Simulator Land," though.

I'm indifferent to what Universal has announced--and dubious as to the Fallon ride. But, as Robb said. maybe we'll be pleasantly surprised. It sounds like the park is becoming "Simulator Land," though.

This has to be a concern... "ride the movies" not "watch the movies whilst being shaken".

I'm a little saddened by the ending of Twister and Disaster from a conceptual standpoint - hearkening back to "the good ol' days" when Universal used to show you how movies were made through physical sets and practical effects. Of course, today, that would be what, Skyping with folks over in Asia sitting around doing CGI?

But think about the glories of turning back the clock to pre-Twister... with a Universal Orlando classic - the Ghostbusters Spooktacular!

Actually, with the reboot coming out, that wouldn't be the worst idea ever...

The old Universal was filled with simulator rides and static experiences in which standing or sitting groups of people watched something happen and pretended to be impressed. I'd rather "ride the movies" if that means I get more rides like Spiderman, Mummy, and Potter, I'm way more excited about that than I am the halcyon days of Backdraft and Nick Studios. And besides *EVERY* park is going to be focusing on rides with projection and synch'ed video. Nobody here really thinks the Star Wars stuff is gonna feature hundreds of clunky animatronics, do they?

And besides *EVERY* park is going to be focusing on rides with projection and synch'ed video. Nobody here really thinks the Star Wars stuff is gonna feature hundreds of clunky animatronics, do they?

This is why I'm a bit more curious about Kong at IOA, as it looks like it'll be more of a dark ride (using 3D projections). I like to see a good mix of physical and digital sets and effects as part of a dark ride, but I'm not a big fan of sitting in a theater while my chair moves around.

Spider-man, which is still the Universal resort's best attraction, is a good example of what I mean.

And besides *EVERY* park is going to be focusing on rides with projection and synch'ed video. Nobody here really thinks the Star Wars stuff is gonna feature hundreds of clunky animatronics, do they?

This is why I'm a bit more curious about Kong at IOA, as it looks like it'll be more of a dark ride (using 3D projections). I like to see a good mix of physical and digital sets and effects as part of a dark ride, but I'm not a big fan of sitting in a theater while my chair moves around.

Spider-man, which is still the Universal resort's best attraction, is a good example of what I mean.

I get what you're saying, but meanwhile, I look at the anchor for Avatar, Soarin' Over The World, Iron Man @ HKDL, and what I expect for at least one of the Star Wars rides, and it just seems like they're running at the forefront of the trend in the industry.

This has to be a concern... "ride the movies" not "watch the movies whilst being shaken".

Maybe Hulk 2.0 also ends up incorporating those VR Headsets that were brought up in another thread not long ago. Seems like it would be a Universal kind of thing.

^I don't think I ever want a coaster as intense as the hulk (at least the old one) to also mess with my spatial vision. Freaking vomit Comet.

I also think given the size and scale of Kong's building and the obvious theming work going in we'll be pleasantly surprised. Same with the large space for Fast and Furious and the interesting concept art for Volcano Bay. The Twister replacement...will probably be better than Twister! 4 major new additions in the next two years plus Sapphire falls and the Hulk complete replacement. That is so so so much more than most people's home parks receive and I have nothing to complain about.

It's nice to see them replacing dated attractions. We'll have to wait and see how they turn out, but after 20 years of ownership changes and neglect, it's nice to see Comcast so invested in the parks around the world!

From the park's perspective, it's a good strategy since the theaters and simulators can be shifted out with a new video while the animatronics would be harder to find a use for if the ride were to close.

From the park's perspective, it's a good strategy since the theaters and simulators can be shifted out with a new video while the animatronics would be harder to find a use for if the ride were to close.

From the guest's perspective, it makes everything seem to be the same. I'd be incredibly bored if Universal kept putting simulators in.

From the guest's perspective, it makes everything seem to be the same. I'd be incredibly bored if Universal kept putting simulators in.

Most of these rides aren't simulators though any more than any themed ride is a simulator. They're rides utilizing projections as effects. It seems to me that there's a generation bothered by this. Seeing people complain is kinda like watching at old school wood coaster enthusiasts coping with the technological progression of the 90s-2000s to me. Instead of complaining about buzz bars and inversions all being alike, they're upset that there aren't more big clunky animatronics.

Enthusiasts, yes I think they will get fed up of all these screen rides but for the GP I'm not so sure. As I mentioned earlier in this thread Lotte World have been putting extremely similar rides or upgrading existing screen ones as the new for the year rides for almost 7 years now and people still lap them up.

Existing when I came to Korea:

- Dynamic theater (3D movie simulator)

- Ghost House (static 3D movie)

- Desperados (2D shooting ride on a saddle that wobbles so simulator)

Added since 2010:

- Desperados 2 3D upgrade (3D shooting ride on a saddle that wobbles so simulator)

- 4d shooting theater (3D shooting ride on a seat that wobbles so simulator)

- Dragons Shooting (2D shooting ride at screens from a trackless vehicle)

- Wild River (simulator)

- Wild River (simulator)

- Wild Wings (simulator)

- Lottys Balloon Ride (360 degree screen)

- Beluga Talk (Lotte Worlds version of Turtle Talk)

Robb also pointed out how many both Universal parks have together, and you can now add Jimmy Fallon to the list by the sounds of it:

Just going off memory the amount of "media based" attractions at Universal:

- Spider-Man

- Transformers

- Gringotts

- Forbidden Journey (rumored to get the 3-D upgrade)

- Hogwarts Express

- Shrek

- Dispicable Me

- Terminator

- Simpsons

- Kong (rumored)

- Fast & Furious (rumored)

Personally, I'd like to see another non-media ride like Hulk, Men in Black, Ripsaw Falls, Jurassic Park, etc. I get that Universal is "ride the movies" but lately I feel like their rides are more themed around "watch the movies."

Crossing fingers that the Nintendo themed attractions bring us back to actual "rides."

Edited by Garet

Most of these rides aren't simulators though any more than any themed ride is a simulator. They're rides utilizing projections as effects. It seems to me that there's a generation bothered by this. Seeing people complain is kinda like watching at old school wood coaster enthusiasts coping with the technological progression of the 90s-2000s to me. Instead of complaining about buzz bars and inversions all being alike, they're upset that there aren't more big clunky animatronics.

Well, that's not entirely the case with me. I still enjoy Curse of DarKastle at BGW, and (as I said earlier), I think Spider-man is still the best attraction at Universal,followed by Mummy and Men in Black. I can ride these attractions multiple times and still enjoy them. But simulators along the lines of Despicable Me (and what the Fallon ride will probably be) are usually "one and done"--never need to ride them again.

"Media based" exist and are being actively pursued because what can be done with CGI and 3D video effects is dramatically better than 30-40-50 years ago. Animatronics are basically at a standstill in general development because the cost of building bigger or more advanced in terms of movement and doing so reliably beyond what presently exists is exorbitantly expensive. Spiderman can leap on the car because he's a video effect. There are very few robots anywhere in the world capable of leaving their feet to make a jump, and if they exist, they sure as hell aren't bipedal and capable of imitating a human.

If video screens on rides makes them simulators, then the only "true" rides you're probably gonna get in the next 5 years in Orlando will be Slinky Dog Coaster and coasters/flats built at the SeaWorld parks.

Well, that's not entirely the case with me. I still enjoy Curse of DarKastle at BGW, and (as I said earlier), I think Spider-man is still the best attraction at Universal,followed by Mummy and Men in Black. I can ride these attractions multiple times and still enjoy them. But simulators along the lines of Despicable Me (and what the Fallon ride will probably be) are usually "one and done"--never need to ride them again.

Fallon is gonna be a Soarin' copycat that's basically the equivalent of a C-D ticket replacing a totally irrelevant attraction. If it's as good as some of the other Soarin' clones, that's still a huge improvement over Twister. And looking at Soarin', that thing constantly manages a huge line at Epcot. People LOVE IT. But it also doesn't really isn't much like what Universal has otherwise built in the last 10 years, as none of their new build attractions are classic stationary simulator based attractions.

Fallon is gonna be a Soarin' copycat that's basically the equivalent of a C-D ticket replacing a totally irrelevant attraction. If it's as good as some of the other Soarin' clones, that's still a huge improvement over Twister. And looking at Soarin', that thing constantly manages a huge line at Epcot. People LOVE IT. But it also doesn't really isn't much like what Universal has otherwise built in the last 10 years, as none of their new build attractions are classic stationary simulator based attractions.

I find Soarin' to be relaxing; it's a very good family ride that different age groups can enjoy, and it provides a mild thrill (looking forward to the updated "around-the-world" version). If they use the same ride system for the new Avatar attraction, it should be fun. (They're also adding a more "traditional" boat ride through Pandora.)

The Fallon ride, well, I'm just not a fan of Jimmy Fallon or "kuka arm" rides (which is probably what this attraction will be, based on what Fallon said on his show). I agree that it'll probably be a "C or D Ticket" ride, at best, and that Twister had definitely rode itself out. But the ride is being based on a show I don't watch, and I'm pretty sure my digestive tract won't care for the ride system. Many people who will enjoy it, and that's OK with me. And who knows--maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by cfc

The Fallon ride, well, I'm just not a fan of Jimmy Fallon or "kuka arm" rides (which is probably what this attraction will be, based on what Fallon said on his show). I agree that it'll probably be a "C or D Ticket" ride, at best, and that Twister had definitely rode itself out. But the ride is being based on a show I don't watch, and I'm pretty sure my digestive tract won't care for the ride system. Many people who will enjoy it, and that's OK with me. And who knows--maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

I can pretty much guarantee this won't be a Kuka arm ride as much as anyone who doesn't directly pull a check from Universal.

People love Soarin', but maybe because it's unique.

Now Disney is opening another one under the name of Avatar, and Universal will have their own version with Fallon, all three in the same area that is Orlando... Most of the GP won't notice, and if the storylines will be different enough, I won't mind either, but you gotta admit the effect of surprise will be less and less there.

Maybe Hulk 2.0 also ends up incorporating those VR Headsets that were brought up in another thread not long ago. Seems like it would be a Universal kind of thing.

[youtu_be]

[/youtu_be]

When I say "simulator" I'm referring to the attractions that shake you around but stay in one place. Simpsons and Despicable Me come to mind on Universal's property.

I'm not saying that every themed attraction should be an animatronic-heavy attraction, because they shouldn't. Each park has a need, each crop of designers comes up with a story, system and implementation to address the need. Fine. But my problem with -most- (not all) media-based attractions is that they try to tell too much story in too little time. Everything moves so fast and you don't even have time to think about what's going on because by the time you do the ride is over. The balance between taking the time to tell your story and making sure guests keep flowing through the attraction is a very difficult one to achieve.

I'm also slightly biased because I can't ride those rides with the glasses on without getting motion sick. You can't win 'em all.