TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 611: Full Halloween Horror Nights 2021 lineup revealed!

This is terrific news, absolutely awesome!

The only downside I could see with this is if B&M installs a new magnetic launch then they might decide to slow the ride down to save on wear and tear in the future.

...or chained to the track, holding up "Save the Hulk" posters.

This made me lol!

The only downside I could see with this is if B&M installs a new magnetic launch then they might decide to slow the ride down to save on wear and tear in the future.

B&M wouldn't be the ones supplying the launch system. They didn't on the original Hulk and they didn't on Thunderbird. Both of those parks contracted with another company to launch the train.

Though the roller-coaster is not going away, and we've yet to see any B&M coaster be destroyed, are those the first ever used pieces of B&M track to hit the scrap pile?

What about astroworlds batman coaster? Wasn't it scrapped?

Intamin ride. Also IIRC it is sitting in a pile across the street from Darien Lake.

You would be correct. It also will be going on its tenth anniversary of sitting there and rotting next year.

B&M wouldn't be the ones supplying the launch system. They didn't on the original Hulk and they didn't on Thunderbird. Both of those parks contracted with another company to launch the train.

Was Intrasys contracted for Thunderbird?

^ Exactly. And from what I understand. B&M will design around the fact that it's being launched, but the park contracts with Intrasys for the launch hardware. it doesn't come through B&M. That's at least what Holiday World told us in a Q&A session last year.

Very interesting, thank you for enlightening me! I would have never guessed Blue Fire and Verbolten's LSM systems were contacted outside the manufacturers!

Robb, do you think they'll keep the launch/drive tire system then? I would imagine the drive tires need to be replaced and maintained far more often than an LSM fin, so if they are spending all of this money on some new track and trains, would it even be a possibility that they would spend money on a more efficient laucnh system?

I got to ride the Hulk several times in a visit in the early 2000's. I absolutely loved the ride, i guess it broke down pretty bad over time to warrant the complaints and the changes going on now. I was sad to see the pictures but it seems new and improved version is coming which makes me happy and want to get back there to try it out.

^The Hulk coaster was every bit as mercurial as its namesake. Sometimes, it was a great ride; other times, it simply beat you to death.

I like the ride, too, and hope that whatever they're doing makes it consistently good again.

^Interesting, I read that it was B&M's first in house launch. I guess you learn something new everyday!

^ Yeah, that's not entirely accurate. The launch system for Thundebird was supplied by Intrasys: http://www.intrasys-gmbh.com/

Other than Intamin, I don't think any major manufacturer provides LSM launch systems in-house. Intrasys is pretty much the go to company for these types of systems and I know for a fact they have provided them to at least Vekoma, Premier, Mack, B&M, and Zierer.

Another company for LIM/LSM is Velocity Magnetics. Though they were mostly focused on magnetic brakes, they started to make launch systems recently, as they are providing Dollywood and RMC on Lighting Rod.

EastCoastn07, are you sure Intamin does it in house? I found a close-up shot of an Intamin LSM in my folders, if that helps solving the mystery.

Edited by KingRCT3

• coasterbill changed the title to Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread