TPR Home | Parks | Twitter | Facebook | YouTube | Instagram 

Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread

P. 611: Full Halloween Horror Nights 2021 lineup revealed!

They both open early every day to resort guests. The best thing to do at opening far and away are Despicable Me and Rip Ride Rockit. These two have very short-no waits at opening and very long waits later in the day. However, since armed with unlimited express for that other day, you could go straight to the HP lands in the mornings which don't have express available. Not a bad decision.

Hulk, Spiderman, Water rides in the afternoon, and All three rides in Hogsmeade are the long waits in IOA.

Transformers, Despicable, Rockit, Gringott's, and then Simpsons and possibly ET or Mummy are the long waits at Studios.

Best places to eat: Mythos, Harry Potter Restaurants on either side, or in Citywalk. Simpsons area also has a decent variety (and the chicken and waffle sandwich) but service can be hit or very very miss. Best Show is Horror Make-Up, but Animal Actors and Fear Factor can be fun. Sindbad is absolutely awful. The Band Perry is also playing Saturday the Eleventh with the family-friendly Mardis Gras Parade. If you camp out for the parade near the Twister gift shop exit, you can usually get a great spot for the concert on the stage behind you after the floats go by. Enjoy your Vacay!

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings. Long time lurker, first time poster. I felt compelled to register and post after a recent trip to Universal/Islands. We (me, wife, 3 boys) were thoroughly impressed with the whole operation. This includes hotels, friendly staff, food, ability to get around, rides, etc. We went during spring break but the crowds were extremely manageable.

We stayed on site and you just can't get any more efficient than being able to walk to the park in under 10 minutes. We stayed at the Hard Rock, can't beat it. And the express pass system is awesome. I would pay double for an express pass if asked. It made our trip.

My only complaint, I'm surprised my ticket, room key, and express pass were three different items. Extremely inefficient. I have to believe they are working on streamlining that.

We split our trip between Disney and Universal. I'm not a Disney hater, but I left unsatisfied. There were many rides we never got to experience because the lines were too long or the fast passes were gone. While at Universal, we got to do everything (I know, 2 parks vs 4 parks). I just have a problem spending that kind of money and only getting to ride space mountain once, for example. But the service at Disney was excellent, as expected.

Metal detectors are now at Dragon Challenge and Hulk in IOA. If these metal detectors allow Dragon Challenge to duel again, I'm totally okay with waiting a few more minutes due to a metal detector. I know it's a long shot for them to duel the rides once more, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Metal detectors are now at Dragon Challenge and Hulk in IOA. If these metal detectors allow Dragon Challenge to duel again, I'm totally okay with waiting a few more minutes due to a metal detector. I know it's a long shot for them to duel the rides once more, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

Dragons have no reason to have them unless that's what they're gonna try to do. It has no close encounters with queue or any people. It's completely in its own pit.

I'm going to the park tomorrow and have a few questions. Is the Hulk really that bad of a headbanger? I rode it four years ago and thought it was pretty smooth. Also, I know there will be spring break crowds but do Fridays bring in more crowds? Thanks

I'm going to the park tomorrow and have a few questions. Is the Hulk really that bad of a headbanger? I rode it four years ago and thought it was pretty smooth. Also, I know there will be spring break crowds but do Fridays bring in more crowds? Thanks

I went in February. It was snappy and a little rough but not bad.

Hulk and Kumba are the same when it comes to smoothness. I can't stand when people bash on the Hulk but not Kumba. Both of these coasters are some of the best in Florida, but they do have a rattle. Neither of them are headbangers though, so don't worry. You'll want to re-ride!

The smoothest B&M at the park is Dueling Dragons Fire and in my opinion, the best.

Add Dragon Khan to that list too, all three seem similar in terms of roughness. They're ferocious in parts, but for me it isn't headbangy rough. I don't know if it's my size (I'm really petite), have a high pain threshold or if a lot of people are wimps, but I do find a lot of coasters absolutely fine in terms of roughness that do get complained about (both here and elsewhere). I think 'rough' is a relative term though and now coasters have become smoother, people's tolerances are lower.

Hulk and Kumba are the same when it comes to smoothness. I can't stand when people bash on the Hulk but not Kumba. Both of these coasters are some of the best in Florida, but they do have a rattle. Neither of them are headbangers though, so don't worry. You'll want to re-ride!

The smoothest B&M at the park is Dueling Dragons Fire and in my opinion, the best.

Hulk, much like its namesake, can be a bit temperamental. I've had great rides and lousy rides on that coaster (Kumba is more consistently good).

Hulk, much like its namesake, can be a bit temperamental. I've had great rides and lousy rides on that coaster (Kumba is more consistently good).

When I rode I had a really rough ride but I could tell the ride had the ability to kick arse on a good day. I imagine when it first opened it was a really great ride. Orlando just has a ridiculous amount of seriously good B&M coasters! I just hope the parks don't decide to buy a new crappy one.

I've never had a remotely rough ride on any B&M I've ever ridden, including 200+ laps on hulk and another 50-100 on Kumba. I'm out of this loop.

I will say, Hulk has been running every day (minus rehabs) since 1999, with constant 3 train operation. It has a ridiculous amount of wear on it for a coaster of the type I'm sure. There are strong rumors that the entire ride is getting a re-track very very soon.

There are strong rumors that the entire ride is getting a re-track very very soon.

You're saying Uni is going to spend $10-$20 million on a 16 year old ride? Do you know how wear on wood vs. wear on steel works?

Ummmm unless something has seriously gone wrong in the fabrication way back when or the steel/welds are that badly cracked to compromise the integrity of the ride, I HIGHLY doubt a re-track would eliminate the vibrating or slightly bumpy undertone of Hulk. An entire re-track of a steel coaster would be so astronomically expensive that it would simply make more financial sense in the long run to start at square one again. I would love to know the exact source and credibility of that rumor.

Those metal detectors are the worst idea in my opinion. I still love USO/IOA, but that new policy is just asinine.

There are strong rumors that the entire ride is getting a re-track very very soon.

You're saying Uni is going to spend $10-$20 million on a 16 year old ride? Do you know how wear on wood vs. wear on steel works?

Do you know or understand what fatigue is?

• coasterbill changed the title to Universal Orlando Resort (USO, IOA) Discussion Thread